The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Master Summit (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8924 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2017, thomasR wrote:
Very good points Mindpro.

I'll try to find the thread I referenced... You did eventually answer my question in that thread. And that very idea did help in my communication with Clients and with the artists I hire so they would know what I and the client expected (specific acts, and even specific costumes). This wasn't something that I had entirely overlooked, but I had not put as much attention on until that thread.

I actually found the thread, no worries.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2017, Futureal wrote:
I thought it was mostly a waste of time.

Wow Futureal! Well clearly we can't all be as ambitious as you. It's people like you that make me not want to spend my time and money putting these stuff together. I guess we'll leave it to the real pros to find value in this, instead of hacks like you who can't appreciate true value, but have no hesitation to rip it apart on a forum where you can be hidden from a face to face conversation.

I look forward to reading all about your success and learn from your wisdom ol' wise one.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
Sunny Idaho
1518 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Real pros like you that discount your course by 50% a few months after it comes out because you’re short on cash? Ok.

Not the best way to keep your customers happy either, discounting the same product by half. Or maybe people who paid full price didn’t get the emails about the discount.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8924 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It is still a great resource and not just for pros, as I regularly hear from beginners, up and comers, regular workers both part and full-time that all find great value in this Summit. There seems to be a good balance between performance, business and behind the scenes topics among the guests and content.

I would find it hard to believe one would not find some content of value from within everyone and everything featured. I know how much it takes to produce these and for such limited return, it has to be due to wanting to progress the industry with actual real-world content.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't see having a sale as a bad thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8924 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
No, especially on last years/seasons products.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
Sunny Idaho
1518 Posts

Profile of Futureal
No point buying paying full price for it if it’s going to be discounted by half only a month later.

It’s not like EMC where there’s a real time aspect to it like the live chat, submitting questions etc.

Oh and that double act kid show team drive for up to four hours then setup all their $10,000 worth of gear for two hours to get $200 or $300 for church and kindergarten shows. Then spend another hour or two breaking it all down and taking it out of the venue. They also have to split the money because it’s a double act. That seems like a lot of effort for a low reward. I’m sorry but that doesn’t sound too smart to me, or a business model that should be emulated. And they were promoted as being kid show experts! This is why you don’t believe the hype and what performers (magicians especially) say about themselves. That Michael Trixx guy is the same. He works in a rather low end family restaurant. He also looks and acts like a buffoon. He’s trying to look like Bret Michaels from Poison but without any of the charisma or good looks. It makes the whole event look bad giving these guys a forum to brag about how great they are.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7340 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2018, Futureal wrote:

Oh and that double act kid show team drive for up to four hours then setup all their $10,000 worth of gear for two hours to get $200 or $300 for church and kindergarten shows.

Seems like you have some information incorrect, about their fees and venues they work. Perhaps you should listen to that interview again.

BTW, I think it's a little tacky to discuss another performer's fees on the open forum, even if it was discussed in the interview.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you want to say it is not a good business model to do the discount I agree. But it is not wrong to do so.

As for Michael I think you are taking a short cut through the facts. In Islamorada Florida (One of the Keys.) there is no such thing as a low end restaurant. I lived in Key Largo for 3 years and saw Michael work at the Lorelei many times. Great place to have dinner and watch the sunset and a dog friendly patio. Not really my style odd act but to say he has no charisma is simply wrong. His audience liked the show.

Is he a great business man? I have no clue. Should he be part of a master summit? I have no idea. But those are different issues than you raise.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I also don't think it is good form to call names like buffoon.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Are you really that upset that you paid full price for something that was later discounted?

The kids show business talk was about the marketing they do, not the amount of equipment they bring or the fact they are a duo. That should be obvious.
The Michael Trixx interview was great I thought, he seems like a very genuine guy that got a pretty decent regular gig. He gets a guaranteed show fee, plus he can hat the crowd... that's actually a really good deal in a tourist area. If you can't learn from that and would rather call him names... well...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dead on about Michael. I should also mention he is not a friend of mine. (He is probably very happy for that clarification!) I just lived in that area and saw him when at dinner. The dude has a way to make a living in a VERY expensive part of the world. Lots to learn from him.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8924 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think one of the things to take away from the Summit is that there are different business models. This is likely the greatest takeaway. I agree many are not the experts they are stated as being. Also, it is quite apparent not all can teach or train, they are simply discussing what they do or have done. If this exposed people to other or alternate business models for performers, then it is beneficial.

So many performers falsely believe there is only one business model (what I refer to hear as the "default" business model) and never progress to any other models. All will not be for everyone. But if these guys are not overhyped or improperly stated, I think there would be less disappointment. Still the for the price the value should be a no-brianer.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8924 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Any news on if there is going to be a new Summit for this year? I haven't heard anything from David as I was expecting to by now. Anyone hear anything?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7340 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
Any news on if there is going to be a new Summit for this year? I haven't heard anything from David as I was expecting to by now. Anyone hear anything?

David sent out an email about this topic just today (Oct. 4/18):

Quote:
Dear Entertainers,

I've been asked a lot if I'll be producing the Magic Master Summit again this year, and to be honest, my schedule is too hectic to do it this year... But there's good news...

My friend William Rader has produced his version, called the Well Attended Summit. The format is similar, including free registration to view the event! (And to be honest, he's more organized than me, so it's probably going run a lot more smoothly!)

You can register for free here: https://wellattendedsummit.com/david-davinci/

Join me, and 20+ other entertainers as we share the secrets to getting busy and staying busy in the business of entertainment!

Warmest Regards,
David DaVinci
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I hope the secrets of producing an online summit are shared.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8924 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Certainly not the same at all. Too bad.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7340 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here's another page on the same website, giving more info (such as the final product cost, because there's a buy now option):

https://www.wellattendedacademy.com/wellattended-summit-2018

- Donald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Master Summit (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL