The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Devil May Care (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Howdy,

I had a thread downstairs talking about something I was going to release - its now ready - http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/de......561.html (for today only, it looks like you can get free shipping -SHIPWEEK16)

I get the feeling it might upset the applecart a little bit, as its my thoughts on what makes a good healthy reading, the things I really dislike, the things I love - the things we definitely should avoid and why. I also talk about what I believe anything 'psychic' might actually be (clue - its not psychic in the traditional sense at all)

Also, how to combine the ability to 'read' in combination with mentalism, with a breakdown of what goes on in my mind during the reading, and how I interpret things the way I do...

there's also some things to do with envelopes (g*mmick free sw*tching and a p**k envelope, b*llets and a small but perfectly formed little reading system in there too. Any questions, please PM me or ask below I guess...

i am hoping that what I have written about readings will help those who want to do them but are unsure about the ethical side of things - I hope at least it gets them thinking about why they want to give readings in the first place, and for those that currently give readings, I hope that they get something a little left of centre and new from it...

there may be a couple of swear words in there too, sorry about that...

i am certainly not critical of anyone or any 'thing', I am just offering up my viewpoints on the matter...

there is only one real routine in there, and even then I do not give you my presentation for it, but I do give you lots of options..(and so you know, you will have to buy something for that routine, it'll cost you around $9)...

so there you go - no P** show, no st**ges, just old school charlatanry...

oh and no DR...

though Dr. Bill is in it (he offers his views and has kindly written the foreword to it)....
I've asked to be banned
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Ordered, looking forward to it.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Ordered!

Iain, I'm sending you a PM about a card trick with reading I have been writing up that is about 8 pages and which should be finished tomorrow. --Alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
That free shipping code has expired, it has a new one though, 20% off - LULU20 which is good til the end of the 18th...thanks for the comments so far...hope you find the contents useful...
I've asked to be banned
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
As Iain mentioned, not only did I write the foreword to DMC, I play a small "Greek Chorus" role. Comments I made to Iain upon reading early drafts suddenly appeared in the form of "Dr. Bill Says" moments in the body of the book.

So of course I'm biased but the reason I'm involved at all is because Iain's creativity, his positions on topics that are important to me and his ability to communicate with crystal clarity impress me so much. Over and over. Though I believe this may be his best release yet.

The following is a mix from the foreword I wrote and some afterthoughts:

DEVIL MAY CARE is a mash up of Iain’s take on readings along with some new and improved tools of our trade. Learn how he treads the territory of readings safely and in a way that is respectful of both the art and the person being read. He serves up much needed cautions (I might even take this further, perhaps why I’m here), emphasizing the use of restraint, good sense and a collaborative approach. He reminds readers to set aside their egos, always good advice. He also shares some exceedingly clever utility devices, with unlimited applications dictated only by the performer’s imagination.

Please, please listen to Iain’s thoughts on what does and does not fall into the purview of the ethical mentalist and/or reader. I’m biased, particularly when he eloquently captures the differences between what a trained and supervised therapist can do that a mentalist shouldn’t.

Don’t for a moment be turned off if you aren’t into readings as the info in DMC is relevant to a wide range of our practices in mentalism. I see this as essential reading, crucial and spot on at this time when, with renewed vigor, mentalists are debating precisely what constitutes mentalism as well as struggling to find ethically solid ground on which to base their performances.

And if that doesn’t convince you, there is so much more in DMC. If you want methods, Iain teaches many clever tools and equally clever applications of these tools, focusing on the common envelope. “Silent Thoughts” is a sublime methodology that Iain shares for gaining information that will pay huge dividends to those who adopt it. Method and effect blend together seamlessly.

I’ve tried out his “Peek A Boo Envelope” since writing the foreword and it is easy to make even for the DYI-impaired like myself and more importantly completely delivers as a very clever multi-purpose envelope (mostly p**king but also loads, PW, etc).

“Palm Tree Readings” is a lovely context for engaging the imagination of an audience member, pure Iain in conception and execution.

Iain also takes you inside his dirty little mind and shares his exact thought process when tying together a drawing dupe with a reading. I haven’t seen this done before quite like this and it is priceless information.

He provides an out for a reading gone bad that has applications for any revelation in mentalism. This is really clever and a concept that all mind readers should have at their fingertips.

Need tips on developing your persona? Iain offers them and in a way that is very practical and will get your gears turning even if you already have one (a persona that is).

In my foreword, I also address Iain’s writing style. As I wrote, I find it immensely accessible and he has teaching skills that I don’t think get enough attention. Put all of this together and DMC is something I’m confident you will not only enjoy reading but find very useful.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ah thank you Bill - hadn't seen this...sorry...

this was a strange one for me, it started off as one thing, then morphed into something else entirely (apart from the envelope work)...glad it turned out the way it did...very pleased with it...

and thank you for the compliment about the writing style, I'm currently re-working a novella..
I've asked to be banned
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Ordered - 30% off with LULU30
Lakewood, Ohio
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thanks for posting that code, its good up to and including the 24th, for anyone's releases on lulu...

Get the Riggs hardbacks!
I've asked to be banned
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
While you are there ordering add TAROGRAPHY. If you want to do readings but don't want to use Tarot cards this is for you.

Craig
oliverho
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of oliverho
I'm enjoying this book a lot. I'm in the early stages of learning, studying and practising readings. I also have several other of Mr. Dunford's books. This one offers great advice and insight into readings, and in particular, I like the section on storytelling and the imagination. I can see returning to this book often.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thanks very much oliver...glad you're enjoying it, I hope you use it...

for those on the fence, there's a new 15% off and free shipping going on at the moment at lulu (code in my sig)...
I've asked to be banned
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I really enjoyed this book.

The perspective and discussion on readings is very thought provoking and I really like Iain's approach. He has really considered the issues of responsibility in a reading and his approach feels very ethical without really being skeptical or taking anything away from the depth or mystery of a reading. Definite food for thought.

The envelope and business card ideas are also very practical and I bet they see use with performers.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I am bumping this to answer a couple of questions people have PMd me about...

Devil May Care is pretty much a fifty/fifty split between readings and envelope and b*ll*t based work...

its all together because they are the three things I combine together personally...

so a lot has been said about the readings side of things in the main review in mentally speaking...

the envelope stuff is this:
a person makes three choices, each choice is sealed in its own envelope and you know what each choice is
envelopes are completely normal and there's zero preparation for any of it
the questions can be anything - whether its a sequence of yes/no choices, or specifics, that's what you can do
there are no limits involved, AND the best bit is, you don't have them say anything outloud, nor do anything physically either...its as simple as "would you sell your soul to the devil?", they make a choice and that's that

there's something in there that takes about fifteen seconds to make, along with a base routine to illustrate how it all works together, which ultimately delivers 100% any written or drawn info - and the bonus is that is has a visual convincer at the end to highlight that everything is above board...

and another non-gimmicked item that lets you blatantly and boldly get your hands on their info, or f*rce some info on someone right under their nose...

plus one or two other things...

the other part, the b*llets - one is a small examination of a CT that was originally mentioned in Centermental from many years ago, and I've added one (what I think is) valuable extra thing to notice about it all that can let you CT hands-free...

there is also a short and snappy tree reading based system that is unlike the others - this has an interesting starting off point that I've not seen or read about before...it also has different meanings to most other tree based 'things'...its far more visually driven and there's a couple of nuances you can use get into it from other reading systems as well as move into other mentalism based material...

i've also looked at the old school w*nd*wed st*ck, and made one change which helps in its working so much better (in my opinion!)...there's a couple of other bits in there, AND the readings stuff...

i feel they compliment one another in many ways, and I would say that you can work one without the other, or combine them in all kinds of ways...

so there you have it...hopefully that explains everything clearly enough...drop me PM for more info if you need it...thansk..
I've asked to be banned
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1315 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
I finally got a hold of this, and I am just now about 1/4 of the way through it. I haven't gotten to most of the techniques, but to be honest, that's not why I wanted the book. I have been following Iain's views on readings a good bit over the last few years, and I find that his insistence on caution and character has largely influenced my view of what a reader is and how one should operate.

I have been working on readings for decades, and I believe I was doing them even before I knew what the word for them was. I have always had a leaning toward this type of genre because of some my family members and how I was raised. When I first realized what could be done with this skill, I was too immature and seduced by the power of how I could influence someone. Now, as I enter middle age, that need has almost died, and my priority not to cause harm has largely increased.

The thing is, it is easy to cause harm with readings, and I believe Iain is a loudspeaker for this idea. (I am now cringing because Iain might read this and say, "NO! That's not what I am saying at all! Can you understand English, Red!?")

Long post to say something short: I ordered the book to read the essays. So far, it does not disappoint in making me think. If I disagree with something, it forces me to articulate why that is, and I love books like that.

Also, I have not seen as many examples of Iain's graphic design of his work, but his stuff is very engaging in its intentional use of design to become a part of the content.

Anyways, this is only a partial review, but I already am glad I have it...
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Please don't cringe!

its great to hear that its challenged you in a meaningful way - thank you very much!

all I have ever tried to do is learn and grow 'up' in any subject matter that grabs me, whether its archery (won a bronze medal in it, beating the county champion a few years back), to growing a beard, to readings, mentalism, writing, everything that has grabbed me - I have tried as best and as often as I can "at it"...

at the moment its kettlebell training...which is quite painful but fun...

and I agree - I think we kinda naturally read one another instinctively - for me, its partly about questioning rather than trusting those instincts - mainly because we should be ever evolving animals!

thanks again! Smile
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Devil May Care (9 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL