The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paying bills online? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
A couple of years ago I decided to start trying to pay bills online (utilities/etc.) instead of mailing checks. But it seems that recently, more and more, it's actually taking longer to pay online than with a check. Besides the passwords and all the security questions, you have to go through all the screens, all the verifications, and such. I understand the companies want to make it all look secure and all, but I have to wonder how much of this is fluff.

How do you feel about paying bills online?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Being gone 6 months a year minimum it is the only way to go.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's a pain if you have to use each separate bill website; but if you do it all through your bank website, it's a heck of a lot easier and more convenient than snail mail. Setting up recurring payments is particularly useful, I find.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I have always been paranoid about online financial transactions, so I stick to writing checks out by hand and mailing them at the Post Office.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2016, George Ledo wrote:
A couple of years ago I decided to start trying to pay bills online (utilities/etc.) instead of mailing checks. But it seems that recently, more and more, it's actually taking longer to pay online than with a check. Besides the passwords and all the security questions, you have to go through all the screens, all the verifications, and such. I understand the companies want to make it all look secure and all, but I have to wonder how much of this is fluff.

How do you feel about paying bills online?

I echo what landmark said. It takes me seconds (i.e. less than a minute) to pay a bill through my bank's site (assuming I preregistered the merchant / bill previously, which only takes a few minutes one time).

Fair disclosure, I am talking about paying bills in Canada using a Canadian bank. I'm honestly not sure I would feel AS secure paying bills online with a US bank, but I would still consider the online risk to be small.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is exactly the same in the US with larger and even smaller banks.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I pay approximately 12 bills a month which includes credit cards and my mortgage. With one exception, the payment is posted to my accounts immediately. Over night, the transaction appears as pending in my bank account. I like paying this way because I can check the current status of the account, make the payment and see the new balance right away. I also have confirmation numbers just in case. Mailing a payment could take days to reach the supplier, and another couple to post. Meanwhile, my bank account doesn't reflect a payment. I have no problem logging in to each website. I periodically change the passwords just to be safe.

I do have the option to set up payments directly through my bank but again, dealing directly with the supplier give more up to date statuses.
Where the magic begins
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I normally pay them cash in a brown envelope.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I've heard of paying bills, but I've never tried it.

What's the procedure?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, S2000magician wrote:

What's the procedure?

I needed that. Thank you.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2016, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, S2000magician wrote:

What's the procedure?

I needed that. Thank you.

My pleasure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paying bills online? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL