The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Uses for flash wool? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
I just recieved sum free flash WOOL when I purchased my flash paper. I have never used it befor, and iw as wondering how you guys use the WOOL? I am a close up performer and have never seen it. I don't have a great deal of it (being a freebie) and havn't tried it out yet, it is still in the envolope.

the only thing I have seen is when david penn plugged a rolled up £20 note, lit it, and produced a goldfish from inside.
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
Flash wool... haven't heard of it.. sure its not Flash Cotton?
Magic Geek
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
My guess woould be (an it really is guess as I have never heard of Flash Wool) that like flash cotton, it can be used where a shorter duration/intensity starter source is used. In other words, it probably lights quicker/easier than paper.

It also just might be a marketing ploy, or someone's misinformed declaration, actually calling Flash Cotton, Flash wool.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
magicmanx
View Profile
New user
Working in Benidorm Spain
47 Posts

Profile of magicmanx
Yes I always use a small quantity of flash cotton (wool?) on top of flash paper in my finger flasher... much easier to catch on a spark... which leads to first time ignition success !
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
There is no such thing as flash WOOL. Flash paper and flash COTTON are both primarily nitrocellulose (i.e., cellulose fiber that has been nitrated).

Common paper, made from wood pulp, and cotton are mostly cellulose which is a vegetable product. Wool ia an animal product containing no cellulose and is, thus, incapable of being converted to nitrocellulose.

However, wool does contain a significant amout of soothing lanolin and none of the rest of this post is at all important either.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sid,

Thanks for the chemistry lesson, but we are talking about commercial product names. In the U.K. Cotton is called Wool. So both are correct names.

Most of the flint flashers and flash throwers use the cotton because of the shorter time to catch fire.

I use it with the Eddie Joseph's 'Shattering Coins and Silver Balls' trick sold by Repo Products.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Quote:
On 2004-03-19 23:25, Sid Mayer wrote:
There is no such thing as flash WOOL.

chill.

Flash Wool: this has many of the properties of Flash Paper, and uses top-grade chemicals to produce an instant flare. Supplied is a generous packet - 5 grams - (enough for many shows), and packed damp to comply with P.O. regulations. £11.00 - http://www.practical-magic.com/

must be a trans-atlantic thing...

but never mind this....does anybody have any uses for it instead of arguing over use of language??????
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
Flash wool is just another name for flash cotton, it is the same stuff. I have bought it from various dealers but try Shaun Lee he is based in France I think and keeps good quality flash products, he would probably give you some basic ideas and uses.
Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Uses for flash wool? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL