The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage name and stage character (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
410 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
I use a stage name (not Alexxander, that's just for the café)... at first mainly because I didn't like the sound of my real name.
For a long time I thought about different options, and I dismissed a lot of names because they felt too pretentious or too "magicky".
I finally settled on a name which felt not too artificial, but still special, interesting and intriguing. I often get asked if it is my real name or my stage name and I often receive compliments for my name.

I noticed that this separation between my private "me" and my stage "me" using a stage name really helps me in clearly defining my stage character. During my process of creating a stage name I really had to think about who I am on stage and what I want to convey to the audience.

Do you guys perform under a stage name different from your real name?
And if you do, why do you do it?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2391 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I use my name, because I like my name. But I use my first and middle, because my last name is difficult for most people to pronounce.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I use a different name when doing Mentalism and psychic work.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
I perform under a stage name too.

I do it for a couple of reasons:

A)My real name is Ever Elizalde, and this is a problem because "Ever" it's not a common name here in Mexico, people often will not know how to properly spell it... they will think it's "Eber", "Heber", "Evher" etc. And I didn't want that. This could give people trouble finding me on the internet by name.
Also, the surname "Elizalde" it's way to famous here... it's easily recognizable but only because everybody relates it to music. And I did not want people to think that I'm a musician too or something.

B)"Ever" it's not strong sounding enough... what I mean by that it's that I like my stage name to be a bit more...authoritarian (?)
I don't know if that's the right word to use but I feel my stage name fits my character more than my real name.

C)I wanted to clear my internet background! I used to be a magician before, and I used my real name. I did not want my audience to know that.

D)I wanted to publish mentalism stuff by my real name without worrying that my clients would find out and buy my stuff, thus finding my secrets!
And I still worry about this a little... that's why the very few things I've published, I've done it under the pseudonym "E.E."

It also really helps to separate your real you from the performer, and I've always liked that, because it makes my nerves go away...it's like if it's not me when I'm performing.
I shall see you on the other side.
B_man2012
View Profile
New user
Republic of Croatia
100 Posts

Profile of B_man2012
I agree with what you guys say about separating personas. I'm planing to go and start performing for "real" as opposed to performing for my friends and family and have been thinking about a performing persona, and while not yet sure how it will look, I'll base it on myself.

I don't want it to differ too much from real me, because I think it would make things harder. I want to be able to switch to "performance mode -on" mindset and start performing without a fuss. When I get on stage, I do have special abilities and I can read minds for real. That's how I see it if it makes sense.

Also, to ask you guys so I don't need to start another thread - what do you think about this for a stage name:

Benedetti

It's my surname, it's Italian and people like it when I introduce myself, they often mention "how cool it is". I'm interested how it looks to other parts of the globe. My worry is that it maybe has too many syllables for a stage name? Hmm
~ The Croatian Mentalist ~

>PM me if you need help with anything graphic design related!
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Benedetti sounds good, but the ending with "i" is very magician like! Kind of stereo type.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2391 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Shameless self-promotion - I wrote a booklet on creating and developing characters. Links in my signature depending on who you like to buy from.

I think Benedetti sounds good, but the two points brought up are not insignificant. First being the number of syllables. This seems like it would only be an issue if you use a lot of self-references in your scripts such as, "People always ask me, Benedetti, how do you do these things?" Or something like that. If you do that a lot, the long-ish name may sound repetitive. I don't think this would be a huge issue, personally.

The second being that it does sound like a classic magician's name. Again, not a problem if you are going to have a classic image.

So, in my opinion it could work but you will have to make sure you keep in mind consistency in image and branding.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
410 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
@E.E.: sound reasoning... though I still love Ever Elizalde Smile
B_man2012
View Profile
New user
Republic of Croatia
100 Posts

Profile of B_man2012
Thanks KiKi and WitchDocChris!

I'd didn't even cross my mind, the whole -i ending thing, and although it's valid what you say, I don't think it'll pose much of a problem.

The syllables thing I'll come around by not incorporating much self reference in scripts - it does sound repetitive so I'll find another way for people to remember my name other than that.

WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2391 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I think people won't have much trouble remembering it. Put it on a banner behind you, introduce yourself, and make sure you say your name again at the end of the show and they'll remember it.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I am hired under one name, but can perform under whatever name I choose. I've found a stage name frees me to be that persona and loosens the expectations of the audience as to who and what I am.

I have been Professor Phondlehienie Gootch, Swami Gootchananda, a wizard, etc. Differs each season. I'm lucky to be able to change names as I wish.

As to why, I am very uncomfortable performing under my own personality and name. I'd much rather don a mask. Lessens the stage fright. I can barely get up among peers to explain a card trick,...but let me slip a 'mask' on and I can 'WC Fields' a whole crowd with a natural ease. Strange.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
pavelrodzevich
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of pavelrodzevich
One more vote for using stage names.

1) It really helps if you want to create an interesting character with strong story.

2) Strange thing - for me it solved all problems with disclaimer. There is no need to disclaim anything, if you're just playing a role.

3) Finally, I can use effects that doesn't fit by simply changing a character. Metal benging doesn't fit my mindreader character. So I can do some PK/metal bending stuff with my Magneto-like character and would make sense.

Pavel.
B_man2012
View Profile
New user
Republic of Croatia
100 Posts

Profile of B_man2012
Thanks for the tips, Chris!
Pavel that are interesting points, number 3 in particular is something I intend to use a lot.

Cheers

E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2016, Alexxander wrote:
@E.E.: sound reasoning... though I still love Ever Elizalde Smile

Thanks!

To be honest, Alexander it's a good name for the stage. It has an "x" in the middle so it is visually attractive and all that stuff.
That's why I decided to go by the name "Maxwell"

It meets all of my criteria:

-It has a x in the middle
-It's sounds imposing (to me)
-it's short
-It's not a common name here, so it stands out so it's easy to remember.

Best,
Ever
I shall see you on the other side.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4274 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
My birth name isn't terribly interesting, so I went the route of looking at my family tree and finding a relative with a far more intriguing name. I was fortunate enough to find a good name in my maternal line, which I have used since I was a teenager. And this way when people ask me if this is my real name, I can truthfully reply that I was "named after my great-grandfather."
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Tempesta
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
399 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
In high school, I created a mass marketed effect that went to DVD, and later one, when I became a full-time performer, I realized that if someone Googled my legal name, they went straight to my DVD "Kaos, Card Through Window."

So I had to change my name for people looking to bring me out to perform so that they didn't get taken straight to a magic publishing site, haha.

I think Googling your name is important though when you are determining how to market and whether or not to brand. Because whatever name you choose, understand that Googling it will yield a certain list of results. Make sure you choose something that will stand out from the other results, and is easy to find for someone looking for you. For instance, if you choose a name and Google brings you and someone else with a similar name, know that will potentially be a problem. This exact thing happened to a friend and it's a hilarious story. Two speakers with the same name, one is an illusionist/speaker, the other is an evangelist/speaker. The wrong guy was booked and no one realized it until the guy got on stage and didn't do any illusions, haha.
//Sean Beard
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3526 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I inherited my stage name from my father and I use it within magic to honour him but I do not tend to perform under my stage name. When I started out I initially performed under my stage name but found it far less practical than my real name and so a lot of my performing was done under my real name. I now perform under a different name which is far easier to remember and pronounce.

As far as my character, it's not a million miles from the real me although whilst that was also true when I was performing as a magician I guess I have just accentuated different parts of my personality as a mentalist than those I did as a magician.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage name and stage character (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL