The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » All seeing eye (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
Seems like there is a lot of billet style predictions that have come out lately. Write something on a piece of paper I will tell you what you wrote. Anyone get this? Whats your thoughts?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7311
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
659 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
The All Seeing Eye (ASE) by Dan Harlan is a method to gather any piece of information written secretly by a spectator on a piece of paper. Before I watched All Seeing Eye, I couldn't help but be skeptical--From the trailer, it just seemed like all the other methods that enable the performer to ascertain secret information from a folded paper. After I watched Dan Harlan's instruction, I was pleasantly surprised with his original additions!

Difficulty: The difficulty level is geared towards beginners both in Harlan's teaching and in technicality. ASE is very easy to perform. It's a standard and well known method in mentalism that is used to achieve the effect, but where the real value is is in Harlan's structure, presentation, and additions. I'll get into those later in the bottom of this review.

A few positives:
-Like any ct, p**k, or s****h routine in mentalism, the props are regular, everyday objects. If the required props (any pieces of paper + a writing utensil) are available, ASE can be performed impromptu. In his instructional video, Dan is honest and claims that it takes a few seconds of preparation to perform, explaining that it is almost impromptu. However, this preparation can be quickly done in front of the audience without arousing any bit of suspicion.
-Everything can be examined.
-They can keep the papers as a souvenir, which is a bonus if you choose to perform with your business cards.
-ASE is perfect for table hopping + avenues that require multiple performances because it instantly resets.
-Harlan's teaching is fantastic--it's very clear. He is thorough without rambling. While watching, it is obvious that ASE has been tried and tested. The video quality is very clear.
-This is a great intro effect for beginners with billet work, but I can guarantee more experienced performers will come away with a new idea or with something learned. Even if you're a working pro, I'd recommend ASE--It has a few presentational touches that I think are essential for those who do any work with billets. I think this would be a wonderful addition to many walk around magician's repertoires.

A few negatives:
-The patter may seem a bit childish to some, or a little cheesy. Harlan's included patter will have to be modified for many performers. The presentation/patter fits with my personality/character, so I didn't have to do much modification.
-Some may say that the fact that two pieces of paper (the "all seeing eye" and their information) is in play (as opposed to a single piece of paper) has potential to complicate the plot and take away from some of the directness that other methods have. This is not an issue for me, since the plot of the effect remains simple (and able to be described in one sentence as The Professor notes.)
-It requires a few seconds of preparation. As I stated above, this can be quickly done in front of the audience before the performance.
-The sound gets a little weird/distorted mid-video, but it won't have any effect on learning the effect. It wasn't a distraction.

I promised earlier in this review that I would talk about Harlan's additions to this classic effect in mentalism. This is ASE's greatest strength. In billet effects, there is often no justification for the "revelation-of-secret-info-on-a-sheet-of-paper" effects; they are often performed just like that (hence the name I just coined). I've seen countless performers ask their audience to write down a piece of information. They will then take the sheet of paper, execute some action with it, and usually end with placing it in the spectators hand. They will then immediately revealing the name, date, or whatever was written down. While this may fool or even entertain the audience, this is the worst way to perform such an effect. What is the purpose in having someone write down information, only to tear the paper up and reveal the information? Why not just have the audience think of something, THEN reveal it?
What Dan's version accomplishes is that his presentation serves as a justification for every action completed by the performer. Every hand movement, transfer of objects, every word has some psychological purpose in his routine. This solves the main presentational problem of the ct, p**k, s****h, etc. The writing of the information is justified through presentation. Harlan shows a great psychological understanding of the motivation behind movements, and this is very helpful in his teaching. This new presentation and way of approaching the "write and reveal" effects is worth this download. Although I have my own presentation that justifies the actions of such an effect, I enjoyed hearing Dan Harlan's take on it, and came away with new ideas. Any magician/mentalist, beginner to pro will benefit from this download.

Disclaimer: I do not write reviews without "field testing" the product. ASE does very well in performance, and I did not encounter any obstacles.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the download,

-Zack Johnston
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2228 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I'd like to know if drawing the Eye is a must or can we draw a different shape like a phone or brain or other story drawing to justify transmitting the info. Thx
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1354 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
You should be able to do a few of those things in all probability Brent. It lends itself to a few variations like that.
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
Thanks Zack for the review!!!!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5781 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yes, in fact I'm not drawing an eye because it just doesn't fit my style. You could even draw a cell phone (MagicBrent), which would be much greater motivation for one part which must be done. I like the basic structure of this routine and the parts I have changed are easily changeable along the way to making it fit my style.

The sound issue Zack mentioned is actually not distortion in any manner. It is that his lav mic went dead and the backup studio mic feed was used for that time. As Zack pointed out it does not hamper the learning in any way.

This is a product geared toward magicians.

For me the only real negative is that, for good reason, part of the routine is missing from the trailer. This is the place where I feel the routine development came up short. Some solutions to that have already been suggested here and I'm sure more will come up as people dig into this and make it their own. Well worth the price for anyone wanting to get into or explore a real time billet read effect.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I love eyes - put them into routines all the time - so coolio - downloaded- it's nifty- ok, I'm connecting it to aok
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
MagicallyMe
View Profile
Veteran user
Manhattan Beach, CA
350 Posts

Profile of MagicallyMe
It's really well thought out. Every move has a good motivation. It's simple and direct. I'm glad I purchased it. Oh yeah, and very impromptu as we'll
Dan
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2932 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
My business name is Don't Blink Magic and my business cards have a beautiful blue eyeball on them. I also wear a realistic eye ring and lapel pin so this was a no-brainer for me to hit the buy button. Am I happy with the purchase? YES
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
483 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
I believe this is the same effect taught in his penguin lecture. If so, I loved it!

Ryan
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
426 Posts

Profile of daver
Wondering why, though, if the Penguin e-mail I got today says "spectators can't reverse engineer it", yet it can be performed over and over in table hopping, why the trailer does not show full performance? I'm not looking for free stuff or exposure, but truth in marketing is a biggie with me...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3615 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I love it! This is going to go into one of 3-4 favorite card peeks that I can use interchangeably. When doing this sort of work, it is really nice to have several methods in case you want to repeat it immediately.
KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3615 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2016, daver wrote:
Wondering why, though, if the Penguin e-mail I got today says "spectators can't reverse engineer it", yet it can be performed over and over in table hopping, why the trailer does not show full performance? I'm not looking for free stuff or exposure, but truth in marketing is a biggie with me...

Dave,

This is about process. A layperson is not going to be able to reverse engineer it. However, a magician hitting rewind on a video seven billion times may figure it out.

I can't speak for you, but I found the method, handling, and patter to be something that I will DEFINITELY use. I have been exposed to many dozen business card peak methods, and this one will go into my top 3-4.

I actually really like the presentation part of this. This method really does require a certain presentation patter to make it work. Others, such as Danny Archer's aren't so reliant on specific patter.

KJ
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
426 Posts

Profile of daver
I appreciate the response. I have hung out with Dan on a few occasions and love his thinking on work. I too have bucketloads of ways of getting information written down, and I like this idea - I just have an issue sometimes with the misleading ad copy to get attention.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1765 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
All Seeing Eye is outstanding!

A few things that I really like about it:

1. Can be done impromptu, with very little set up.

2. When the spectator writes their thought/name/drawing/question, they can write ANYWHERE on the paper or business card.

3. After they write their information, the spectator folds their paper or card in half, then in half again, then in half a third time.

4. No wallets or envelopes required!

5. The spectator holds on to both pieces of paper, the one they wrote on, and the one you draw the All Seeing Eye on...and they get to keep them.

This routine is really well designed with multiple layers of deception. Love it!
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I reviewed this on my blog today
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
halestorm
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
63 Posts

Profile of halestorm
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2016, Olympic Adam wrote:

Is the fingertip handshake required for each performance?
David Hale
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The upgrade is out next month, its been refined...its now a fist-bump...
I've asked to be banned
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
779 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2016, halestorm wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2016, Olympic Adam wrote:

Is the fingertip handshake required for each performance?

No it's not required.

Graham
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Suspicious of all the five star reviews on 20th July whats that all about?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » All seeing eye (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL