The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is there such a technique in mentalism? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jack Lu
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Jack Lu
I'm using Tequila Hustler. A key point of this routine is to let spectator see the 2 questions as separated ones, so I'm thinking of a way to make it stronger and hard to figure out.
I ask the spectator the 1st question, then wait for the spectator's response. As soon as he begins to speak, I'll begin to speak at the same time, covering his voice, with additional clarification of the rule, such as "but, you must watch my eyes when you speak.". The effect is that, you get his response, while it seems that you don't, or at least don't care. This trick justifies your asking for a 2nd try and the spectator will really think the game begin from here.
I've not tried yet, but I've seen Juan used this technique to fish the spectator's randomly thought card. David Williamson used a similar way to pretend to lose the break in his card finding routine as well.
Is it a studied technique in mentalism? Thanks.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2386 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I've seen it in a few places, and given that you gave a few examples yourself I think you've answered your own question.

It's a technique I have never been fond of for the simple reason that people will notice when something odd like that happens at every performance. I get a fair amount of repeat viewers of my show so I try to avoid things that tip the method like that.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Jack Lu
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Jack Lu
Ok..may not suit your situation. As long as it is performed natural, it can be used in different performances I guess. Is there any material discussing this technique?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17496 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'll try that but it may make the situation look clumsy. he's going to tell you anyway and he'll probably listen to what you say and say it again ... So I don't see the advantage. But I could be wrong ... If you could convince him or her that you didn't hear the answer and just moved on to another question. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jack Lu
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Jack Lu
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2016, Slim King wrote:
I'll try that but it may make the situation look clumsy. he's going to tell you anyway and he'll probably listen to what you say and say it again ... So I don't see the advantage. But I could be wrong ... If you could convince him or her that you didn't hear the answer and just moved on to another question. Smile

I'll not convince him or her that I didn't hear the answer, I just appear like I don't care about it. I'll then cancel it and suggest a 2nd try.
You'll try that? Expect your result.
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
632 Posts

Profile of Sensio
I think it can backfire.
It will arouse suspicion because they will remember saying the word or piece of information and this is for them a fact that is difficult to override in their memory.
Also it's impossible to repeat in other effects or the same effect where they happen to be witnessing. It's too strong to not notice.
SENSIOPAD - Finest Peeking Technology

K N O C K O U T M E N T A L I S M . C O M
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2386 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
As I said, I am not personally fond of it but that should not stop you from exploring the technique.

I can't think of any specific resource. I know I have seen the idea written before, and I want to say maybe in the Black Project, but I honestly am not sure. I read a lot of books.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is there such a technique in mentalism? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL