The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper presented by Nick Locapo (55 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2177 Posts

Profile of 252life
Brian, to me you came across fine.
As someone that's occasionally (cough...) been an ass on here, trust me lol.

Your input was/is helpful, and I hope to catch other feedback from you in the future.
Good stuff, thx!

252StillSuggestYouPunchYourFriendThough Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
DavidJComedy
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
79 Posts

Profile of DavidJComedy
It works, it's a great version, it's mobile, and easy to do. What more can we ask for with such an effect as this? And, to add to the discussion of the "off by one" component, I think it actually packs a huge punch, just as big as a direct hit. Some spectators might see a direct hit as luck. But regardless, even if they don't, the "off by one" essentially takes a "haha, the magician screwed up" moment, and punches back.
David
davidjcomedy.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
930 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2016, DavidJComedy wrote:
It works, it's a great version, it's mobile, and easy to do. What more can we ask for with such an effect as this? And, to add to the discussion of the "off by one" component, I think it actually packs a huge punch, just as big as a direct hit. Some spectators might see a direct hit as luck. But regardless, even if they don't, the "off by one" essentially takes a "haha, the magician screwed up" moment, and punches back.

Couldn't agree more. I LOVE those moments when "the magician screwed up" are turned upside down, and KK fits that to a 't'.
DavidJComedy
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
79 Posts

Profile of DavidJComedy
Yes. Especially if you open with this, or even better, use it on the streets. At that single moment, when the card is shown, right before you mention it's not the right one, they are already realizing this. And probably thinking, ok this guy is a joke. Then...boom. And you've roped them in to wanting more. It's a hugely powerful opener, in my opinion.
David
davidjcomedy.com
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2177 Posts

Profile of 252life
Thanks to all for feedback.
Got it. Love it.

252ShortandSweet
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Sanukk
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Sanukk
OK, resurrecting an old thread, but I think my comments will be relevant.

Unlike most of the naysayers in this thread. I have, and do perform KK, so I'm talking from experience rather than a wild guess at what may happen and/or what a spectator might say or do.

First and foremost for the people who don't like the idea of the 'off by one' result, I've always found that to get the best reactions, and I can say that for a fact because if you confidently pull out the 'wrong' card and hold it up as a hit, they always react to you being right before noticing it's off. They then react again to the back of the card on that reveal, and I can't think of a single occasion where the latter was not the bigger response.

On the odd occasion when people have said (or I think they are going to say) "You've just got a load of cards in there" I say "Really, you think I can fit all my store cards, credit cards, and money in here... AND a full deck of cards?" and show my wallet is thinner than a deck of cards (which I always have to hand anyway). after that, they know it's impossible to work the way they thought and dismiss the idea.

Performing surrounded is not an issue either, done it loads of times. I do use mini-cards rather than standards, so that does help provide cover, but I wouldn't be even slightly nervous about using normal cards, it's just down to handling, I just use the minis to keep my wallet tidier.

I don't use a special wallet, it lives in my normal day-to-day wallet. It's one of my favourite go-to effects and I've probably done it more than any other single effect. Sometimes as a standalone, others as the starting point for something else using the selected card, I absolutely love KK
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3149 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
I too find this a solid workable effect and true- the off by one amazes more than it fails.
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
90 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
Yes Sanukk,

I’ve actually changed my opinion on the out. I’ve found a nice patter for it although I don’t perform the effect anymore. What Really made me angry was the deceptive trailer that was released for this effect. Had they released an honest trailer that shower both sides of the effect, then people wouldn’t have been so angry I think. I believe it was more an issue of people expecting this amazing Impossible feat only to be sompletely let down that the effect taught was completely different than what was shown in the trailer.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you like my videos!

email: inventivemagic@gmail.com
YT: www.youtube.com/InventiveMagic
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/inventivemagic
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BrianAMelchiorre
Sanukk
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Sanukk
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, BrianMel wrote:
I've actually changed my opinion on the out.
Cool ;^>
Quote:
I've found a nice patter for it although I don't perform the effect anymore.
Is there a reason you dropped it?
Quote:
What Really made me angry was the deceptive trailer that was released for this effect. Had they released an honest trailer that shower both sides of the effect, then people wouldn’t have been so angry I think. I believe it was more an issue of people expecting this amazing Impossible feat only to be sompletely let down that the effect taught was completely different than what was shown in the trailer.
I had already been doing KK for some time before ever seeing the trailer, so I didn't think anything of it, but lets be truthful, how rare are honest magic trailers anyway? LOL
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2411 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I too am a huge fan of the effect but also knew the trick before the Penguin release. I originally had the special wallet and until the Penguin release I t had not occurred to me that you could do it wth a regular wallet.
I agree about the trailer. That’s magic marketing today.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1929 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2016, mike donoghue wrote:
I bought the original wallet many years agop when it 1st came out but for the price I took the plunge to see what these two guys have added to it(incidently I never used the original version in close up events. I used to do it as an invisisble card type routine in cabaret).

Over the years I have bought so many versions of this. However, for the price it's worth a view.

After downloading & watching the video I will post my findings(views) on here.

Mike Donoghue

This does not come with a wallet, you use your own everyday wallet.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
D_avid
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of D_avid
Actually years ago there was a KK wallet produced by Kenton as well as a limited release resurrection. I carry a form of this on me (via 4 business cards) and, while I don't perform as much as I should, I use this as often as possible.
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
235 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
KK by Kenton is a great effect. This just happens to be a video version of that. A nice one though.

I perform this fairly regularly - but in combo with 7 by Bryn Reynolds. KK and 7 combo works very well for me.

The Unknown Mentalist has expanded on the basic KK OB1 principle in his Kolossal Knockout series with some cool ideas without cards.

So for a first time buyer of KK, this vid will be useful.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2108 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2018, NeverMind wrote:

I perform this fairly regularly - but in combo with 7 by Bryn Reynolds. KK and 7 combo works very well for me.

Thank you, Nevermind.

KK is certainly a a most excellent effect.

Bryn
*ISOLATION /QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls eBooks:
- Now only $10 ea! PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com

Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1548 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis

This was the limited edition version of Kolossal Killer that I produced.

Tony
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
To open, I purchased this last week and haven't even set it up yet, but I like to get other people's feel for things before I go out and use it. A couple things occurred to me about the effect and some of them have already been mentioned.

Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, Sanukk wrote:
First and foremost for the people who don't like the idea of the 'off by one' result, I've always found that to get the best reactions, and I can say that for a fact because if you confidently pull out the 'wrong' card and hold it up as a hit, they always react to you being right before noticing it's off. They then react again to the back of the card on that reveal, and I can't think of a single occasion where the latter was not the bigger response.

Yeah, that was my first thought.
I didn't buy KK because I wanted people to be mystified by me pulling the right card every time, I wanted a method and I'll see what I can do with it from there. With the existing method, you're right <40% of the time, which is fine, because - the method.

My first thought was, "Eh, the prediction element is fine, but it's just kinda' done after that." Being "amazed" and being "entertained" are two different things, and I would much prefer the latter. Being off by one on the other hand would be hilarious, and from "off by one" most spectators will gleam that you "could have" shown the card they named, but you didn't because it's not as fun.

The off by one element actually seems much much stronger to me. It tells the spectator, "I could have pulled your exact card, but this was funnier", establishing that you are skilled at the craft, but more importantly that you're there to entertain them, not just to have them gaze in awe of your greatness.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
543 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:
Mark Elsdon tipped a great bit of thinking in his (first) Penguin Live lecture that allows you to streamline the "pack out" for this plot. Almost any wallet would work using Mark's strategy.

Best,

Drew

Interested in buying this, what is the date of the lecture please?
Use the FORCE Luke.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
543 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2018, Dustin Baker wrote:
To open, I purchased this last week and haven't even set it up yet, but I like to get other people's feel for things before I go out and use it. A couple things occurred to me about the effect and some of them have already been mentioned.

Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, Sanukk wrote:

Yeah, that was my first thought.
I didn't buy KK because I wanted people to be mystified by me pulling the right card every time, I wanted a method and I'll see what I can do with it from there. With the existing method, you're right <40% of the time, which is fine, because - the method.

My first thought was, "Eh, the prediction element is fine, but it's just kinda' done after that." Being "amazed" and being "entertained" are two different things, and I would much prefer the latter. Being off by one on the other hand would be hilarious, and from "off by one" most spectators will gleam that you "could have" shown the card they named, but you didn't because it's not as fun.

The off by one element actually seems much much stronger to me. It tells the spectator, "I could have pulled your exact card, but this was funnier", establishing that you are skilled at the craft, but more importantly that you're there to entertain them, not just to have them gaze in awe of your greatness.

I love Knepper's verbal reversal here, he says "YOU were indeed off by one, congratulations on being correct"
Use the FORCE Luke.
Aaron Vlack
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Aaron Vlack
Https://kolossalkillerplus.blogspot.com , in here the original pdf is available
Angeoliver
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Angeoliver
Hi guys ...
Well.. I'm using now number 4 enveloppes of Blake Vogt to do this killer effect Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper presented by Nick Locapo (55 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL