The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper presented by Nick Locapo (55 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
90 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
Sorry if I was a bit too harsh. I tend to speak my mind a little too much sometimes. However, to give you a little history on why I feel this way about this effect as well as many others is because I have a friend who guaranteed is the #1 heckler you will ever find. I would put money down on that. He would probably be in the world records in hecklers for magic. He absolutely hates magic. Especially, card magic. He thinks it's a waste of time and talent. That card magicians aren't good enough to be stage magicians like David Copperfield, etc.. So anytime I create an effect, I keep him in mind and think, what would James say if I performed this for him. He actually is pretty good at guessing a lot of effects even though he has no clue what's going on. When I showed him the trailer for this on Penguin, the first thing he said to me was that guy has a wallet full of *****... If he performed that for me I would grab his wallet and look inside. So you see exactly why I am here saying these things and why there should be a section on how to deal with hecklers with effects like these. Because there will be a lot of them. And to say there won't be is complete bull. This is the reason why I probably won't perform this version of the effect. Most of the people at work, friends and even cousins and uncles are all hecklers. So I am very used to performing for a lot of hecklers and which is why I very much hate ending dirty.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you like my videos!

email: inventivemagic@gmail.com
YT: www.youtube.com/InventiveMagic
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/inventivemagic
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BrianAMelchiorre
tomd
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of tomd
Brian I've sent you a pm. But if you really are surrounded by hecklers, maybe avoid this. And remind me to avoid Chicago 😉
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3001 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2016, BrianMel wrote:
Sorry if I was a bit too harsh. I tend to speak my mind a little too much sometimes. However, to give you a little history on why I feel this way about this effect as well as many others is because I have a friend who guaranteed is the #1 heckler you will ever find. I would put money down on that. He would probably be in the world records in hecklers for magic. He absolutely hates magic. Especially, card magic. He thinks it's a waste of time and talent. That card magicians aren't good enough to be stage magicians like David Copperfield, etc.. So anytime I create an effect, I keep him in mind and think, what would James say if I performed this for him. He actually is pretty good at guessing a lot of effects even though he has no clue what's going on. When I showed him the trailer for this on Penguin, the first thing he said to me was that guy has a wallet full of *****... If he performed that for me I would grab his wallet and look inside. So you see exactly why I am here saying these things and why there should be a section on how to deal with hecklers with effects like these. Because there will be a lot of them. And to say there won't be is complete bull. This is the reason why I probably won't perform this version of the effect. Most of the people at work, friends and even cousins and uncles are all hecklers. So I am very used to performing for a lot of hecklers and which is why I very much hate ending dirty.

Duplicate wallet, fit for examination? Put the first one away while displaying the card, then do the switch if you're called out. There are ways around these things.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1789 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Depends who you perform for. No stranger will just grab personal property like your wallet. If its a friend, use another method or do a different trick.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
SNAPS | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
917 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2016, TuneHV wrote:
Depends who you perform for. No stranger will just grab personal property like your wallet. If its a friend, use another method or do a different trick.

They won't grab it but they will want to look at it.
Reader discretion is advised.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Nah ive done it loads of times and no body has ever said to look in to my wallet because I know how to handle them
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
In all my years of performing, I've never given my wallet out for anyone. Never had a reason to and there's a lot of items I use that go in there.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1833 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
A lot depends on who you perform for. Friends will feel they can take greater liberties than strangers do because they know you. Also whether you are performing in a formal setting or impromptu is important.

I think this trick works best impromptu for people who aren't friends of yours and who you won't be hanging around with afterwards either, although, as I stated above, this trick was shown to me using the Heirloom wallet, and because I was shown the inside of an apparently empty wallet, I didn't suspect the wallet at all and was stunned.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2411 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Unfortunately it is difficult to create a "magical experience" for friends, family and coworkers that we know well. The best we can do sometimes with enough "proving" is to "fool them" which is hardly magical. The only reason I jumped on this thread is because as an amateur I have personally had great results with this trick as demonstrated in the video. That is a different kind of review than "the gimmick is well made," "I fool myself in the mirror with this," etc.
YMMV
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2317 Posts

Profile of Doomo
That is why I set my method up the way I did. I wanted a small normal looking billfold. NOTHING HUGE or prop looking. I just wanted a freely named card to be in the wallet with no fuss. And for it to reset quickly. I wanted the wallet to be in full view at the beginning and in a speccys hand if possible. And now it is.,

Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
90 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
That's great Tony. And I completely agree. That's why when I worked out my version of the effect I do the same thing. I hand out the wallet from the beginning if I am using a wallet or I have an envelope in my pocket with the predicted card. I have been doing my research and the only effect close to my version is Rus Andrews' Spoken. However, my version uses a different amount of cards, is an easier to memorize system and higher rate (about 75% hit rate) and the out still gives you a hit. Not a one off method. And it's not a form of equivocate where you are guiding your spectators throughout. They really get a free choice of any card. This is something I'm considering releasing. I'm not sure how it will play in the community since there are so many predicted card in wallet effects out already. But I believe this one is a very solid method. Packs light and every thought of card is a hit.

MagicPresident
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of MagicPresident
I downloaded this and would like to construct it.
Can anyone tell me where to purchase a wallet with
separate sections like the one used in the video?
I talked to Penguin and they do not have a $9.00
wallet.
MAGIC HAPPENS !
macc
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of macc
With "the advocate" and a card to wallet or "UCCU" you would have a 100% hit rate.
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of magiclee
Use "The Unbelievalope by Jeff Kaylor and The Magic Estate

magiclee
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2016, MagicPresident wrote:
I downloaded this and would like to construct it.
Can anyone tell me where to purchase a wallet with
separate sections like the one used in the video?
I talked to Penguin and they do not have a $9.00
wallet.

Hi Mr. MagicPresident, I found a perfect wallet from Ross for $9. It's a VanHeusen. Very thin and slim and works perfectly. I love it. I tried to buy another for backup, but I've searched 5 Ross stores and have not found another one yet. Ross, Marshall's, Burlington Coat Factory have other suitable wallets, but this one is perfect.
jackaboy
View Profile
Veteran user
universities aren't interested in my
303 Posts

Profile of jackaboy
This is amazing!! I just started using this
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
I usually don't like the "off by one" or find it either entertaining or fun to perform. I don't know John Archer's idea of turning the "off by one" into an advantage but I'm interested. Where can I get it ?

I never performed KK. It's not my style, mainly due to the off by one that I don't like. I much prefer Prospect, especially with multiple outs like the one in the Showdown wallet, which are nearly invisible and deep so that one can show the bill compartment (apparently) empty.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2181 Posts

Profile of 252life
BrianMel, have you considered a therapeutic punch, to help correct your friends grabby behavior?

Seriously though, family and friends can be a huge setback/hindrance to one's overall development.
Conversely, the unfiltered responses of family and friends, have absolutely saved me down the road.
It's a balancing act.
If you think about it, we bring this headache on ourselves most times. I'd suspect that some people in our personal circles, ultimately, don't share our wonderment with magic. Yet..those times arise, when you just have to have a functioning brain across from you and... BAM! Another innocent victimized lol. I've learned (99%..)the hard way to not cave into these moments anymore. Just not worth it. Part of growth I suppose.

Anyway, just a stream of consciousness here, on the Sunday before the U.S. swears in DJT as President.

252StiringItUp Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
90 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, 252life wrote:
BrianMel, have you considered a therapeutic punch, to help correct your friends grabby behavior?

Seriously though, family and friends can be a huge setback/hindrance to one's overall development.
Conversely, the unfiltered responses of family and friends, have absolutely saved me down the road.
It's a balancing act.
If you think about it, we bring this headache on ourselves most times. I'd suspect that some people in our personal circles, ultimately, don't share our wonderment with magic. Yet..those times arise, when you just have to have a functioning brain across from you and... BAM! Another innocent victimized lol. I've learned (99%..)the hard way to not cave into these moments anymore. Just not worth it. Part of growth I suppose.

Anyway, just a stream of consciousness here, on the Sunday before the U.S. swears in DJT as President.

252StiringItUp Smile

Haha. Yes we all will be watching this Tuesday. But I completely agree and while I don't get much time to perform for people other than at work and among friends since I work so much, I hav learned to be overly cautious as a result. However, I get so much better reactions and control when performing for laymen. So I understand what you mean.

BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
90 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
I was actually talking with Nick at a P3 convention and I apologized for coming off too strong here and on penguin. I have tried it and the off by one gets pretty good reactions. Although with my personality, I prefer a direct hit. And I still disagree with how the trailer was misrepresented. The main reason I purchased it was because it appeared as only one single card in the wallet and it was a direct hit. I wanted to know how it could be done with such accuracy. Only to find out 66% it can't be achieved and because of that I felt very misinformed and let down. Besides that, the effect itself is great!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper presented by Nick Locapo (55 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL