The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper presented by Nick Locapo (58 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I purchased the wallet at Blackpool several years ago and that was my introduction to the trick. I did it quite often and had a great time but eventually stopped carrying the special wallet which was a little too big for my taste. This video in fairness does not add much to the manuscript however it was a reminder to me that this trick to be done almost as easily and perhaps more easily with A regular wallet. I will admit it does take some theatrical skill to get the most out of the outs and I think the video can be helpful in this respect to new users, seeing what the performance looks like. To each his own of course but I find the outs MUCH more entertaining than the direct hit and the reveal I believe takes the heat off of the wallet.
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2016, BrianMel wrote:
have a 1 in 3 shot of guessing the card successfully. Meaning, 2 out of 3 times you will be using an out.
You also don't and clean. In a lot of cases you will not be able to hand the card out for examination and 100% of the time you will not be able to hand the wallet out. So audience management is a key skill with this effect and you will have to deal with hecklers if they ask to see the card or the wallet. Also, if performing this surrounded you will need to be very careful on angles not to expose certain things.

This isn't a case of "spectator management" if they ask to see the wallet, you're ******. And to be fair, most people who don't ask, will at least be thinking about it so if you want to perform it than better have an another same looking wallet to switch in.
Reader discretion is advised.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Totally worrying for nothing if they ask to see your wallet you should stop doing magic immediately because your performing skills isn't up to it
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
A magician I know once did this for me. It happened to be one of those cases where the actual card was produced. Afterward, he showed me the inside of the wallet, and there were no other cards there. He said he was using an Heirloom wallet, I believe. The trick totally floored me.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I also use a version with a shogun/heirloom wallet and casually show the wallet as empty as afterwards... never been asked to see the wallet.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2016, Karl M wrote:
Totally worrying for nothing if they ask to see your wallet you should stop doing magic immediately because your performing skills isn't up to it

It's because of posts like this, most believe that maybe 10% of people on the Café actually perform in the real world.
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
92 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
It has nothing to do with the skills of the performer. There will ALWAYS be hecklers. And this is the type of effect people will ask 'dude, let me see your wallet, you got another card in there.' Now, I haven't personally performed this effect, but I have performed similar effects and the crowds I perform for, there are always hecklers. And maybe you might not want to even call some of them hecklers, but rather curious. They ask to see the card or the deck. They are not being an ass hole per say, but you blew their minds so bad that they need to examine things too see if what they saw was real. This is why I say you will need to manage your audience and make sure you have the right words for when this happens.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you like my videos!

email: inventivemagic@gmail.com
YT: www.youtube.com/InventiveMagic
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/inventivemagic
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BrianAMelchiorre
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I agree there will always be people like that. If you've got one in an otherwise friendly crowd you can usually talk your way out of it. "I'm not sure I trust you with my wallet" or something like that. If you've got a lot of people like that I would say your doing magic for the wrong people or doing the wrong magic. Some combination of your performance and the people you perform for should move you past proving things for most people. It slows down the performance and turns the magic into a puzzle.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
My take is a bit simpler. I just place the wallet on the speccys upturned pal with the request that they hold it. I have a second speccy just name a card. Then I pick up the wallet and flip it open casually. I ask them... " you were holding the wallet the whole time?" They say yes. I have them open the snap sealed id compartment... And then staring them in the face is the named card. Resets in about 3 seconds. No forces or equivoque.

Call me old fashioned.

CTony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2016, Michael Zarek wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2016, Karl M wrote:

It's because of posts like this, most believe that maybe 10% of people on the Café actually perform in the real world.

Totally agree mate who ever thinks they need another ungimmiked walet to hand out if their asked isn't a real-world preformer
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
92 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
All I'm saying is I've performed for people who have just grabbed things out of my hands. Whether that be they were drunk or they just didn't believe what they saw. You have to be prepared for that. To act like you are above us like you never get heckled makes me laugh. I perform all the time and there are always hecklers here and there. Some worse than others. And some that just want to examine. Not really heckling. If I saw someone perform a mentalism piece for me. I would want to examine it also. I wouldn't believe they had physic powers also.

Ramius
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, OK
82 Posts

Profile of Ramius
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2016, Karl M wrote:
Totally agree mate who ever thinks they need another ungimmiked walet to hand out if their asked isn't a real-world preformer

How long have you been performing?
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2016, pegasus wrote:
The easiest, and cleanest method, but takes pocket space is to have two wallets and use DF cards.

DF cards in Kolossal Killer??? Where do you write the "Killer Message"?

But if you are worried about bulk, personally I don't bother, you could use Protea cards, or Card Shark's Double Deckers.
But again: Personally, I don't bother
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
92 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
I don't think anyone needs to carry around a second wallet. It's a failsafe. But if you manage your audience properly and you know what to say in case that comes up, then you should be okay.

mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Tony's the man.

Mike Donoghue
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
You don't need a second wallet (that was just an idea) but if someone asks to see the wallet (which let's face it, most people will at least think about) than there's literarly nothing you can do.
Yea you might try saying something clever and laughing it off, but if you don't actually let them see the wallet when they ask, it's basically like telling them what the method is.

"Audience management" doesn't mean anything and saying that one should use "audience management" isn't helping.
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
92 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
Audience management meaning depending on your crowd and situation, if you are using the bill fold, you have to be careful of people behind you, and surrounding you. Also, if you are not using an out, you have to be careful of everyone surrounding you not to flash the secret on the backside. If one person spots that, you have a whole new set of questions to answer.

hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
374 Posts

Profile of hornet
Is this a stripped down handling of the original?

The ad refers to using your own wallet, there's no way I could use my regular wallet using the original handling!
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2016, hornet wrote:
Is this a stripped down handling of the original?

The ad refers to using your own wallet, there's no way I could use my regular wallet using the original handling!

This Penguin release follows Kenton's first original manuscript.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Hornet this uses all the cards like original... many wallets have the ability to hold all of them in a clever way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper presented by Nick Locapo (58 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL