We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper presented by Nick Locapo (55 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
tomd
View Profile
Special user
707 Posts

Profile of tomd
All depends on what the card you pull out of your wallet means to the effect. If it is a simple name a card routine, the attention will always be drawn to the place you pull the card from, and 2 thirds of the time you will have an ending which doesn't add up, even if at first it will shock them. Give it 20 seconds anyone curious will ask to see the wallet or will be thinking about it. So I completely see the drawbacks...

That being said, my presentation of KK doesn't really allow for the trick to turn out that way. Spectators don't question the wallet and I've prepared the script to make the weaker ending stronger than simply pulling out the right card. I put a lot of time and emphasis on the selection process of the card, really playing up each decision they make. Blocking it like deciding if it's a red or black card first and going from there seems to really put all attention on the conversation we are having. I do reference a prediction beforehand, but I don't tell them where it is. I've also choreographed the routine so that the spectator is holding the wallet the entire process, not knowing the prediction is in there. I have filled the script with subtle language that I can use if the ending doesn't go the 1 third way (if you get what I mean), which seems to add meaning to an illogical ending, and like others have said, it's the ending I hope for now. ultimately putting all my focus on the spectators decisions, seems to make them follow suit (which I guess is a form of audience management?). There are a lot of small movements and framing decisions that I do while the spectator is deciding, which pushes them to take the selection of the card seriously (nothing worse than a spec naming what feels to them as a random card out of the blue, which would shift their focus to where the card is coming from when I reveal).

I've put all of the work into the script to reduce the chances of asking about the wallet, but it's not possible to avoid this all the time... Unless you invest in the heirloom wallet. Since using this wallet, with an envelope in wallet reveal, I couldn't tell you how much more confidently I am performing this trick. The reactions have always been great, but I have a small section in the routine where I can show the wallet empty while they hold the enveloped prediction (unopened), and it just stops all of those scary questions being asked, period.

like I said at the top of the post, I can see where you guys are coming from, and I can see why many don't perform it.. You either have a small risk of being completely busted, or have to invest in a special wallet. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents after performing it for a while.. I had the same doubts as you guys before, and because of that I spent a lot of time writing a script. It's worked for me. Might just not work for others
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2317 Posts

Profile of Doomo
I sent this to a few people privately. So to clear up a few misconceptions... It could have been a FREELY named card... NO forces... NO equivoque... The wallet is normally sitting on a spectators hand when I do it. This vid is shot with NO effort at misdirection or routining or better camera angles. It is just to show it can be done. And as a finish within 3 seconds EVERYTHING is COMPLETELY RESET.

https://youtu.be/oCHtZunvTew

Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Super!
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
351 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Tony

I Really liked that, NICE.

Rudy
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2016, Doomo wrote:
I sent this to a few people privately. So to clear up a few misconceptions... It could have been a FREELY named card... NO forces... NO equivoque... The wallet is normally sitting on a spectators hand when I do it. This vid is shot with NO effort at misdirection or routining or better camera angles. It is just to show it can be done. And as a finish within 3 seconds EVERYTHING is COMPLETELY RESET.

https://youtu.be/oCHtZunvTew

Tony

Me want!!!
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
90 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2016, Xcath1 wrote:
To each his own of course but I find the outs MUCH more entertaining than the direct hit and the reveal I believe takes the heat off of the wallet.

I just can't understand why people like the outs more than a direct hit. Or maybe they are just telling themselves that to feel better. It is a flaw with the effect. I mean, I'm one off?? Really?? I must not be that good of a mentalist. And who's favorite card is the six of clubs?? Why would anyone keep that card in their wallet? It makes no sense to me. What would make more sense is a direct hit every time. You are better off doing a different method or having a backup like the invisible deck. All in all, I am glad I bought it, because the method struck a completely new idea for 100% new method with 100% hit every time. No wallet needed. Less bulk. I'm going to do some research and if no one else has released this, I might shop this around.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you like my videos!

email: inventivemagic@gmail.com
YT: www.youtube.com/InventiveMagic
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/inventivemagic
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BrianAMelchiorre
lil_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of lil_magic
Trust me the out takes them by surprise and seems to get a stronger reaction for some reason. All I can say you have to perform it to understand. I love it and use it all the time. If you don't want to use it fine but you are missing out.
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
90 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
I suppose I can't knock it until I try it. Smile
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you like my videos!

email: inventivemagic@gmail.com
YT: www.youtube.com/InventiveMagic
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/inventivemagic
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BrianAMelchiorre
biggerry
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of biggerry
How does this compare to Mark Elsdon's ON THE MARK one card revealed in his wallet?
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Loyal user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
265 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, BrianMel wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2016, Xcath1 wrote:
To each his own of course but I find the outs MUCH more entertaining than the direct hit and the reveal I believe takes the heat off of the wallet.

...It is a flaw with the effect. I mean, I'm one off?? Really?? I must not be that good of a mentalist. And who's favorite card is the six of clubs?? Why would anyone keep that card in their wallet? It makes no sense to me. What would make more sense is a direct hit every time.You are better off doing a different method or having a backup like the invisible deck. All in all, I am glad I bought it, because the method struck a completely new idea for 100% new method with 100% hit every time. No wallet needed. Less bulk. I'm going to do some research and if no one else has released this, I might shop this around.

I absolutely agree with Xcath1:
...but I find the outs MUCH more entertaining than the direct hit and the reveal I believe takes the heat off of the wallet.

John Archer has taken the above (written by BrianMel and bolded an italic marked by me) words in consideration when he created his very clever (and funny) version "Komedy Killer". He actually made these logical "mistakes" to an advantage and build them into the plot right from the beginning. His routine can be seen on his dvd "Educating Archer", in one of the "At the Table" dvd sessions and also on "Penguin Live".

I have used John's ideas from his "Komedy Killer" and I have had great success with it. And in this version, the "One Off" bit at the end is a killer!

Logical? Who cares! It is great Entertainment!

And that is the reason I've been in this business for nearly 50 years! Smile
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2416 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Think of a color red or black. Black? I knew that would happen
Think of a suit clubs or spades. Spades? I totally knew that would happen
Add more if you like
Think of a card. Two of spades? I can't believe it I knew that too. I actually put that card in my wallet this morning.
Oh sure it's the three of spades, but I was only off by one, anyway I totally knew that would happen. No really, we've come this far and you still don't believe me. What did I write on the back of the card?

If you don't like the trick, don't do it.
CJ_Magic205
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of CJ_Magic205
First off, I love KK, I have the original manuscript and use it quite a bit. To make it seem less "fishy" that it isn't a direct hit, I do something kind of similar to Xcath1. My presentation usually goes something like this:

after going through the think of a color/suit/card, I mention that I threw one card in my wallet this morning, as I just had a feeling it would come in handy. If it's a direct hit, I leave it at that. If not, I say something like "but after I left the house, I had a feeling that you would try to change it up on me" as I show the card. I give them a moment to realize its not the right card, then I slowly turn it over saying "no, really. I realized the card I put in would be off by one!" and I've never had an issue with it seeming like an "out" any more than a direct hit.

I strongly believe, like in Xcath1's presentation, the more carefree you are about it, the less heat you'll attract to the wallet.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2016, John C wrote:
Also see "7" from Bryan Reynolds. No quicker "get" to a single card in the universe. Using no cards.

Agreed!!!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1835 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
And where might this "7" be found?
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Kenton's Kolossal Killer serves as the main inspiration for many great mentalism effects. I do a variation called "Kolossal Jackpot" where I ask the spectator to write down her 4D Lucky Number on a piece of paper, and then I pull out the lottery ticket from my wallet.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1449 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
This was the starting point to many of my creations and helped towards my way of thinking about the thought of card in wallet plot.

well worth picking up if you don't already own it.....

best

R
jamesmwood
View Profile
New user
El Paso, Texas
99 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, Ray Haining wrote:
And where might this "7" be found?

Ray,

Bryn Reynolds' version of Kolossal Killer, which he calls "Seven," is included in his ebook "The Safwan Papers." It's available on this website:
http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-......wan.html

A good review of "The Safwan Papers" by Caleb Wiles is available on this website:
http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/ebook-rev......nolds-2/

By the way, I haven't read "The Safwan Papers" or tried "Seven," so I can't recommend or disrecommend either one.

Jim
Jim Wood
El Paso, Texas
jawood@utep.edu
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1835 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Jim, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
GoncaloGil
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of GoncaloGil
Hi guys,

Just to let you know that there is one wallet in the market that does not have any outs as the "Kolossal killer" effect does... The card that the spectator names is the card that you produce without forces or elimination process and the wallet can be examined.

http://www.geemagic.com/shop/lynx-wallet/

Also there is the "City add on" where you can predict any named city.

http://www.geemagic.com/shop/lynx-wallet-city-add-on/

Best regards,
Goncalo
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2416 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
That is a nice looking wallet however it does cost is 75 pounds and is rather large. For a stage with performance I would have no hesitation having special wallet like this. The beauty of the original is that its always with you in whatever wallet you are using and is now $9.00 on penguin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper presented by Nick Locapo (55 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL