The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » 50:50 Fantasia by Ian Rowland (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
johoyo
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of johoyo
Ah, Alexander, you obviously got the much desired export edition of "SoT". I can only dream of having a Chroma Magnet.

Back on topic, the versatility of 50/50 Fantasia is another huge plus point, the freedom of the spectator to choose their own choices adds further bewilderment.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
875 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2016, johoyo wrote:
This might just be my favourite Ian Rowland effect since "Sense of Touch" ( and 50/50 Fantasia doesn't require frequent recalibration of the laser interferometer!)

Quote:
On Oct 30, 2016, Alexxander wrote:
Laser interferometer?

I'm sorry, but I think the Chroma magnet handling is vastly superior.

Quote:
On Oct 30, 2016, johoyo wrote:
Ah, Alexander, you obviously got the much desired export edition of "SoT". I can only dream of having a Chroma Magnet.

Just before I start getting emails and PMs about this, can I make it clear that johoyo and Alexxander are just having a bit of FUN! Neither my 'Sense of Touch' effect (long out of print) nor '50:50 Fantasia' have anything to do with concealed devices, lasers, magnets or anything similar. These comments are HUMOUR (British) or HUMOR (American), okay? Not to be taken seriously.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
879 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Just picked this up last night.. Absolutely terrific. Hands down one of the best purchases I made this year.

-Dustin Dean
UBT (UNDERGROUND BOTTOM TEAR) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Dreda
View Profile
Loyal user
France, Paris
243 Posts

Profile of Dreda
In your advertising :

No pre-show, no dual reality, no stooges. No force or equivoque.

For me there is an equivoque.

"Equivocation (or the magician's choice) is a verbal technique by which a magician gives an audience member an apparently free choice, but frames the next stage of the trick in such a way that each choice has the same end result."

Otherwise, this effect and the presentation are very good. I will learn it and test it when I will be ready.

Good job mister Rowland.
"I know that I know nothing" - Socrate
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
875 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2016, Dreda wrote:
No pre-show, no dual reality, no stooges. No force or equivoque.
For me there is an equivoque.

Ha ha! The inevitable has happened! I did wonder how long we'd have to wait before someone came along and said '50:50 Fantasia' is an equivoque routine.

We actually did pretty well, all things considered. We got as far as the third page of this thread. Not bad! In my opinion, this intention to explicitly refer to the METHOD isn't what the Magic Café is for and sort of derails the thread, but hey, what can you do? I guess that's both the strength and the flaw of the internet: anyone can post anything they like.

Anyway, Dreda thinks '50:50' is an equivoque routine. I don't think it is. There's nothing I can do about Dreda's post, so he and I will just have to agree to differ, in the most friendly and mutually respectful way possible!
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Dreda
View Profile
Loyal user
France, Paris
243 Posts

Profile of Dreda
Of course, I said this for the future buyers who could be surprised like me.
But that doesn't detract in any way from the beauty of the effect and its construction / subtleties.
"I know that I know nothing" - Socrate
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
407 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Anyone who really understands equivoque will easily understand why 50:50 fantasia is not equivoque...
Both methods share the fact that they use language and communication to create a prediction/influence effect, but through totally different means.
Equivoque !@#$*s an object through a process of elimination, 50:50 Fantasia is a method to win a 50:50 bet.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1094 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Please choose either the tomayto or tomahto...
Lakewood, Ohio
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
879 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
I mean I can see the argument to both sides. But either way it's not something I would've easily came up with even knowing equivoque. It's extremely clever and fooled me when reading the initial effect from the perspective of the audience.

I would say it's not magicians choice. It does not force anything.
UBT (UNDERGROUND BOTTOM TEAR) - NOW AVAILABLE!

johoyo
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of johoyo
We all know that there is a lot of very bad equivoque around and while the term is not pejorative, it can create anxiety and reluctance to explore or adopt an effect.

I don't think that 50/50 Fantasia is an equivoque effect, but anyway I suspect that even those who dislike equivoque will like this.

The terminology as adopted by mentalists is not precisely or (ironically) unequivocally defined, so those who want to, can argue the point.

I have always found Ian Rowland's descriptions of his effects to be comprehensive and accurate to an unusually high standard and this is a great effect.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1624 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
While Equivoque and Fantasia are not identical methods, they are at least fraternal twins.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2106 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Much of the disagreement here is a consequence of some folks conflating "magician's choice" with "equivoque".

A magician's choice is a forcing technique that make use of equivoque (i.e., equivocal statements). But that does not mean that equivoque ("statements with more than one possible meaning") is always used to implement a magician's choice. Equivoque is used widely in deceptive practices for a great variety of purposes.

And for the record, I think that 50:50 (or at least its earlier incarnation in Ian's lecture notes, which is the version I have) is a brilliant piece of work, easily worth the price asked.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3034 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
This is one of those effects where the devil is in the detail. Ian Rowland's scripting is brilliant. Especially the final tactic. That is what makes it in my opinion.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Ian's gift for writing shines, and his scripts are reliably entertaining.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
168 Posts

Profile of chanor
I have notified Ian of my mixed success with this effect. It is best performed with a segue into another effect, giving the audience less time to analyze it. A sophisticated spectator or audience can figure it out with a little thought.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
478 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2016, chanor wrote:
I have notified Ian of my mixed success with this effect. It is best performed with a segue into another effect, giving the audience less time to analyze it. A sophisticated spectator or audience can figure it out with a little thought.

It would be ridiculous for me to dispute your experience while performing this so I'll just share mine - I've used this mainly in casual settings and a number of times over the phone (yep, it works a treat that way too!) in discussions with prospective clients to book shows. It was THE ONLY (or the final) demonstration that I did for those performances and it has been meet with nothing but absolute belief that I knew what they'd think in advance and/or somehow influenced them to say what I wanted them to.

MANY of the people I've done this for are quite "sophisticated" (Attorneys, IT developers, etc) so your experience may be due to other factors than any inherent failings of the technique. This, more than most effects out there, demands MASTERY of the script and the performing vibrato to support it.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Now Available: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
168 Posts

Profile of chanor
Thanks, Drew.

I have absolutely mastered the script and --as a trained actor-- have the appropriate performance gravitas. The effect works on most people except those naysayers who truly disbelieve that the performer could know what they would think in advance and then seek an explanation. I have heard the debate of a group of doctors after performing it for them. They were spot on.
There are those audiences who enjoy mentalism as theater but cannot bring themselves to believe in real mind reading. In the case of this effect, a 12-year-old (a gifted one) figured it out via pure logic.

I suspect as you continue to perform this effect you will encounter people who understand its workings.

Kind regards,

Chanor
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
For a 1-2 punch to eliminate the nay sayers - segue into Rigg's Coin toss not for Old Men routine.....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
478 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2016, chanor wrote:
The effect works on most people except those naysayers who truly disbelieve that the performer could know what they would think in advance and then seek an explanation...

There are those audiences who enjoy mentalism as theater but cannot bring themselves to believe in real mind reading...

Hi chanor,

Can't this be said of ANY effect?

For sake of discussion, let's imagine that you presented (in this case) a 50-50 routine but used no "technique" and simply relied on luck - 50% of the time you're right and 50% of the time you're wrong. Wouldn't the "skeptical" audience members who witness you succeed STILL walk away with some sort of explanation for how you accomplished the feat?

Or, taking the point into complete hypothetical territory, let's assume that you GENUINELY could anticipate someone's decision with 100% accuracy every time. Again, the audience member(s) in question would likely come up with their own theory (that obviously wouldn't include genuine predictive powers).

I guess my point is that this routine, like all others out there, depends on deception and therefore isn't fully bullet-proof and ANY type of magic/mentalism will be met with resistance by a sub-set of our audiences.

I responded to your initial comments about the routine as I did because I feel they didn't do justice to the BRILLIANT bit of thinking that Ian has shared with the community in this release. Sure, it has it's trade-offs because it relies on linguistic/perceptual strategies and not "mechanical" operation but that's why it's so appealing to me (and others I presume).

Finally, at least in the way I present myself (and my abilities), I'm really not all that concerned about the few who might see through the ruse. Those individuals STILL walk away with the understanding that I can alter people's perceptions using words and psychology. I could see this posing a potential problem for those who play the genuine "psychic seer" angle - but as I don't the technique sits well within my wheelhouse of apparent skills.

In the end though, no effect is for everyone Smile I respect that you have your own concerns about its effectiveness.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Now Available: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
168 Posts

Profile of chanor
Of course this can be said of any effect. I agree with everything you say. In my personal PM to you I went into more detail. Although I have shocked certain people with it, I think this is an easy effect to figure out. A bright 12-year-old child did by deductive reasoning!
As I wrote to you, an effect that depends on a choice with multiple outs engenders the question "What if I had chosen another color, card, number, etc.? Here there is only one "out." I feel this effect is very clever but not BRILLIANT.
Just my opinion. That is what this forum is for.

Cheers,

Chanor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » 50:50 Fantasia by Ian Rowland (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL