The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » 50:50 Fantasia by Ian Rowland (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Thank you Michael Murray for bringing attention to this. Just finished reading the .pdf. Great idea. Great tool. Thank you Ian...
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I've pondered on getting this for a few weeks now because it sounds so intriguing. I've only one question and am sorry if it's been addressed elsewhere... Does this have to be performed on strangers or could it work on a friend or acquaintance?
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Ignore my above question. I've just read the blurb again and it says 'For close-up performances, place a coin under a friend's hand'...
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
It works on anyone.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
194 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
The 'trust' scenario is both hilarious and awesome.
casco1
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of casco1
Really interested in this. I will wait some reviews and then I will valutate the purchase
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1582 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
I bought this a while back and I have to say it is a solid effect which I carry in my wallet. I have added some very small subtleties to this which work for me.
This is incredible thinking. A stunning piece of mentalism. And the 50/50 scenario is so exciting for participants and spectators. a 50/50 bet is so much more exciting because it could go either way, this leaves lots of room for showmanship and fun.

This permanently sits in my wallet.

This is my favourite release of 2016.

Joel.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2016, JoelDickinson wrote:
This permanently sits in my wallet.
Joel.

Ha ha! I like that. Thanks for your very kind words, Joel.

For those who don't know, 'permanently in my wallet' is meant in a metaphorical way. There is nothing to carry round for '50:50 Fantasia'. Once you know the secret and learn the presentation, you can do it anywhere, at any time. No props, no get ready, no set up, no nothing. Just perform it.

http://www.thecoldreadingconnection.com/50-50-fantasia/
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Isn't the photo or piece of paper a prop?
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2016, Martin Pulman wrote:
Isn't the photo or piece of paper a prop?

That's just one presentational option, and you don't necessarily need to carry anything around with you. There are infinite possibilities.

I never carry anything with me for 50:50 Fantasia. If someone asks me to perform it, I might, for example, borrow a napkin and then ask the spectator if she wants to work with letters, numbers, colours, names or whatever? Let's say she chooses letters. I can then pick up the napkin, write a letter on it, and then make the routine about whether I've written A or B, or her name or mine, or the word MAGIC or MYSTERY. Or I could take her phone, open a text file or a text message screen, and write a letter or several letters on that.

If there's nothing to write on (or with), I could simply put a coin under the spec's hand and build the routine around heads or tails. Or pick up a free newspaper and make the routine about the first word in the first headline on page ten.

The point is, there's never any need to carry anything around with me.
bobgill
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of bobgill
This premise of Ian's is a fine addition to the growing pantheon of 50/50 effects.

Let's be clear: if I paid this for just a page describing the basic principle I'd be a very happy man. But as is typical of Ian Rowland in his many publications, he does not settle for rushing this out with 4 pages of text and the closing encouragement: '...only limited by your own imagination.' He provides a range of strong presentations, to cover a variety of styles and performing conditions. He explores the principle and every aspect of its presentation in depth, so what you're receiving is effectively a lecture on the principle.

I've now got two strong performance pieces, one for close up social or one-to-one scenarios, one for stand up. It's that versatile.

I've long been a big fan of 50/50 effects; I can understand why many performers dismiss them because of the paucity of choice, but as this manuscript brings alive, there is a simplicity and elegance about such effects, and in the hands of an experienced performer can build real tension and impact. As Ian makes crystal clear in his marketing, this is not for beginners: not because it is complicated, but you need a degree of confidence and experience of working with participants to make it go smoothly.

And since you're wondering, no it is not an extension of equivoque or lie/truth approaches. It's that purest of items, true propless mentalism. Although as Ian suggests, the use of props adds to the theatricality of the presentation piece.

It's already October, but this could turn out to be the purchase of the year for me. Ian: I'm not sure why you chose to put this on the market, but thank you for making it available to we lesser mortals.
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
104 Posts

Profile of chanor
What if the spectator says "OK, do it again"?
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2016, chanor wrote:

Seriously? There are thousands of effects that can't be repeated.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2016, chanor wrote:

I've been very honest and clear about the fact that '50:50 Fantasia' is something you would only use once per venue or engagement. If this means it is of no use to you, then don't buy it!

If someone asks you to do it again, you can't. Even if you could, I'm not sure it would be a good idea. If you perform the Chicago Opener for someone and they say do it again, would you? It's technically possible, but it wouldn't be a good idea. Same for B'Wave, or Invisible Deck, or Card Under The Glass or Out Of This World or thousands of other tricks (as Pit Boss) has just pointed out.

So I suppose the correct response is that you would say, "I won't show you that again because you've already seen it, so it's not so much fun. You wouldn't go see the same movie two times in a row. But I can show you something you'll find just as interesting..." and then segue neatly into your next effect.
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
104 Posts

Profile of chanor
Of course there are many effects that can't be repeated. But it seems to me that a 50-50 effect performed once is just crying out for a demand for repetition. Thanks for the appropriate response and segue.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
50/50 decisions can be incredibly powerful.
For instance. the clock is ticking towards zero. Do you cut the red wire or the blue.
Your choice...
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Just got this.

Brilliant.

I love the fact that I can add another incredibly strong impromptu effect in my go-to lineup (and it will). Now to put the requisite work in and learn it cold. My admiration is for not just the cleverness, but the deliberate layering-up of making the bet move from a "simple" 50:50 to a showing true confidence in your ability to win. Priceless.

Worth more than I paid... thanks Ian for releasing this.
John Jerde
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of John Jerde
Just picked this up and this is a true work of art. Awesome job Ian.

As Ebay says ''Buy It Now"
johoyo
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of johoyo
Typically elegant and devious thinking from Ian Rowland. I needn't have purchased it, but I did; how was he certain that I would?

In many ways its simplicity adds to its impressiveness, but the careful lacquering and polishing of the raw material just enhances its beauty and value.

This might just be my favourite Ian Rowland effect since "Sense of Touch" ( and 50/50 Fantasia doesn't require frequent recalibration of the laser interferometer!)
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
423 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Laser interferometer?

I'm sorry, but I think the Chroma magnet handling is vastly superior.
With the Chroma magnet applied as described, you will note that it responds only if a red card is in the vicinity. Black cards have no effect. The silent vibrations tell you all you need to know. The Chroma magnet, which is not really a magnet at all in the true sense, works over a range of 18-24 inches, depending on performing conditions.
Works like a charm!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » 50:50 Fantasia by Ian Rowland (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL