The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Favorite Training Tools (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

D.Y.Ollan
View Profile
New user
New York
15 Posts

Profile of D.Y.Ollan
Always looking for new ways to keep practice interesting, I'm curious about what some of your favorite training tools are.

I currently have one mirror for practicing close-up, but am intending on getting two more and some hinges to make a three-panelled "wraparound" practice mirror. I also use different kinds of cards to practice with--from grimy old bicycles to plastic dollar-store decks. If I can do a flawless DL with a new deck, I want to be able to do the same with a deck from any situation I might encounter. Finally, (or at least till I think of more) I always have a "burner deck" going, for the practice of those effects which involve destroying/maiming the cards. This way I don't feel bad about having a deck with 51 or 47 cards.

I've experimented with video recording, but until recently lacked the setup for it to be efficient. Now, however, with a fairly inexpensive webcam, I should be able to start honing in on those really wonky angles. I envision the video practice will only be for the later stages of readying an effect, while the mirror will remain my go to for immediate feedback.

But probably my favorite practice "tool" is a reading stand, so I can prop up a novel and let my mind wander away from all the repetitions...
"Our player confines himself not at all; nor, because the game is the object, does he reject deductions from things external to the game.... The first two or three rounds having been played, he is in full possession of the contents of each hand, and thenceforward puts down his cards with as absolute a precision of purpose as if the rest of the party had turned outward the faces of their own."
--Poe, "Murders in the Rue Morgue"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
My partner Tom practices Guitar as I practice Magic.

The music is very helpful for practice. The lack of lyrics allows me to think my own thoughts but the music puts my mind in creative state that encourages visualization.

I remember in college I used to study math while listening to classical music. My usually poor grades in math JUMPED up.

Find some music you like and try it.

-Mary Mowder
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
Myself, I prefer the TV on. I try to listen to it while practicing. It provides real world distraction. Incidentally, its really the only time I watch TV
JasperLee
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of JasperLee
I agree that a webcam is probably gonna work out best in the past, but these days your handy iphone would probably make it a lot more convenient!
Bella Dans
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
20 Posts

Profile of Bella Dans
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2016, Blaine G wrote:
Myself, I prefer the TV on. I try to listen to it while practicing. It provides real world distraction. Incidentally, its really the only time I watch TV

I usually watch a couple season of a TV series as I practice, it keeps my emotions engaged.
Rosebud
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
6 Posts

Profile of Rosebud
I just started using a metronome to help with timing and it has helped immensely. I'm still a beginner, so my "smoothness" is not perfect, but the metronome has certainly helped me seem more natural during my performances.
P.L.Green
View Profile
New user
Asturias (SPAIN)
59 Posts

Profile of P.L.Green
Rosebud, are you using a physical metronome or an app?
Can you keep a secret?.....So can I ;o)
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
48 Posts

Profile of mandrax
A 3 way mirror is great. a good way to improve.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If you are using a metronome, make sure your rhythm is not pointing to the moment of the move. That is to say, don't do the move on the beat. It is harder than you'd think (if you are not thinking about it LOL).

Mary
kidnapped1853
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of kidnapped1853
Great comment about the music Mary! Andre Kole once told me that he liked to listen to classical music when trying to create a new illusion.
kidnapped1853
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of kidnapped1853
kidnapped1853
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of kidnapped1853
The above link is "Classical Music for Studying."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Favorite Training Tools (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL