The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Magician in War Torn Syria (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=42

So here is a guy getting into magic in one of the most dangerous places in the world to live.
How great would it be to get a package of "tricks" together and send it? I am not sure if this is possible but it would be a cool idea.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1075 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Performing magic in a lot of places over there will get you killed. Homosexuality in many countries under sharia law comes with the death penalty. Wasn't there a story of a magician somewhere in the Middle East recently who was sentenced to die? Major props to the guy for fighting the system though. Proceed with caution.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1075 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Here's a link to a story I recalled from a while ago. There are a lot of things we do here in the west which are considered against sharia law. Magic is one of them by some interpretations.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-securi......ainment/
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1307 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Not ALL of Syria is under ISIS control. I take news from Breitbart with a huge grain of salt anyway. Hopefully this fellow can bring some smiles to people who are under assault by several different forces. There's a great photo in cyberspace of Daniel Ellsberg doing magic for Vietnamese children during the war there in the 60's... magic and music can be a welcome relief in wartime. I don't know how magic could be sent to him... he should in fact request what would be appropriate. eg a big no-no to flash paper/powder. I think I would avoid mentalism effects; but that's just me. At any rate, we should all welcome him to the Café. Lynn
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1075 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
This isn't strictly an ISIS issue, Lynn. Nor is it a conservative vs liberal issue. This is a "sharia law" issue.There are simply some things which we take for granted in the west which are taboo other places. Honor killings, for instance, occur regularly in some places under sharia law. And other behaviors that are considered normal in the west will get you in trouble under sharia law. We should applaud anybody who is willing to perform magic in areas that need a reprieve from the stresses and insanity of war. But one needs to understand what they are up against and proceed with caution. Neglecting that can come with severe consequences.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1307 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2016, MJ Marrs wrote:
This isn't strictly an ISIS issue, Lynn. Nor is it a conservative vs liberal issue. This is a "sharia law" issue.There are simply some things which we take for granted in the west which are taboo other places. Honor killings, for instance, occur regularly in some places under sharia law. And other behaviors that are considered normal in the west will get you in trouble under sharia law. We should applaud anybody who is willing to perform magic in areas that need a reprieve from the stresses and insanity of war. But one needs to understand what they are up against and proceed with caution. Neglecting that can come with severe consequences.

Agreed! Syria itself is a dangerous place. Sharia courts vary in what they consider crimes (and Biblical type punishments). There are also civil courts in Syria. It all depends on who is in control in what city or province. You wouldn't want to be a magician in an area controlled by Jabhat al-Nusra. On the other hand, like you I also applaud Sari (whom I assumed is Syrian) for wanting to bring a little joy into the Syrian peoples' lives in these dangerous times. Lynn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Magician in War Torn Syria (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL