The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Pokemon Go (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Since the release of Pokémon Go a few weeks back, I've noticed a big increase in foot traffic where I busk (Washington DC area), where adults and even kids have their noses buried in their smart phones, and can't be bothered to look up to join in watching a show. I'm certain they are playing Pokémon Go. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's already annoying enough when a large portion of an audience will only watch your performance on their phones, while they are recording you. They have no concept of experiencing a live performance, live! I hate smart phones!
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
The increased foot traffic doesn't help offset the number of people on phones? Also, I've been thinking this is something to take advantage of. Maybe a sponge ball routine with balls that look like the pokeballs, that finishes with a sponge pokemon instead of a bunch of rabbits or something? If you got pokeball hacky sacks you could toss them at the ground near people and use the catch phrase "I choose you." I'd be trying to make it useful.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Hi, Noland. Pokémon Go is a current sensation and it's effect will ease off somewhere as time passes by and people move onto other things in their life. Maybe in a few months when wintery weather here in New Zealand is over and I'm out on the street again it will have a very reduced 'following' and will have minimal affect on my busking.

The on-going problem with folk using smart phones on the street: Two smart phone things interrupt the people's magic experience: 1. phone/text messaging. 2. desire by folk to record rather than experience street magic.
Magic is about the involvement of the participant's [most people call them the 'audience'] emotions. We want them fully involved.

Some street performers, depending on the size of the crowd and the way of starting up their Magic Show, will address the phone situation before starting their Show. They announce that they want people to put away their phones/videoing and to experience the show, rather than record it. "This is a live show, not a TV program. Join in and enjoy the Show."

In my case, if I have a small group of three or four teenage girls [fellows seem to not
be so involved/obsessed with phones] just arrived at my pitch and I'm ready to start my Show and one of them is on the phone I make a point of looking at the phone user and telling the others "We'll wait until she finishes her phone call." Quite often those other girls will tell her to stop. I usually then explain, "I want to you watch what is happening very carefully, because I don't want you missing out what's going on and then not know what happened just beforehand. Otherwise you will miss the magic." That usually works well.

During my Show [10 minutes total] I don't address videoing because I think it will spoil the magic emotional experience the watchers/participants are having.
A good Magic Show will have folk so immersed in it, the everyday world around them will fade from their attention. The last thing I want to do is have them 'snap' out of the make-believe setting we are enjoying. Our job as performers is to have the folk entranced - somewhat hypnotized - in what they are experiencing.

There are always going to be some people to stop temporarily to watch our Magic Show, but their attention is chiefly elsewhere and any videoing or watching or involvement in the magic is a casual event. They will wander off whenever it suits them.

I wonder, briefly, when a street magician is gong to base a trick on Pokémon Go that Pokémon Go people around him will enjoy??
The presentation makes the magic.
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
Fortunately I have some experience with the app. In-app, there is a feature called "PokeStops" where certain real-life landmarks, could be as simple as memorialized benches, are marked as places to collect virtual freebies. On these "Pokestops" you can set what is referred to as a "Lure" which causes Pokemon to appear at higher rates than normal.

I've found by performing by these "Pokestops" and setting a "Lure" (active for 30 minutes at a time) I can get kids and adults who are playing to stop by, giving me the chance to perform for them, and using them to build a crowd. Usually I can get their attention long enough to at least pull in some more interested folks, and allow those uninterested kids to fall to the back so they can continue hunting Pokemon without disrupting my show.

The App, "Pokemon GO", is FREE to download. Lures can be earned in-game, or bought for about $1 US. Not a bad cost of doing business, if you ask me. Not my first resort, but if it's causing you too much distress, you might want to give it a go! (no pun intended D:)
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
In my new stage show. I say hey there's one. And look off stage I get a big fish net with the handle and go to the other side of the stage and say got it. I come forward with a pikachu in the net and shaking it. They go crazy! Some people say can you get me one?

Bairefoot
Emilio5639
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
55 Posts

Profile of Emilio5639
I think as time goes on there are going to be additional games that will be very similiar that could drive more people actually walking out and about.
Abernathy Jones
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Abernathy Jones
I have certainly seen my share of the pokeplayers.
It seems as though people are half involved in my show because they are playing the game.
But I don't really notice less people stopping.
I guess it's a sign that we are tuning out of reality on a large scale.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
It's defiantly going to be interesting to see how this pans out
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Early adopters of tech or fads tend the fare better than those that shun off this new craze.... like all crazes it will soon pass into something new or fade out. It seems some good suggestions have been thought of. Yehoshua mentioned spending a few bucks to build crowds and increase traffic which is such an awesome idea. So now the real trick is getting people to look up off their cells phones.
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
Could do "Cups and PokeBalls" or paint spongeballs to look like PokeBalls and "pull" them from the invisible pokestop or from their phone!
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Next time I head out. I'm going to put up a sign saying... 'This is a Pokestop'

Even if it helps engage a few more fun conversations it will be worth it.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Https://flic.kr/p/Lhpywp
this is an idea
I did this really quickly but it could be made a lot nicer..... but you get it
MAGICMON!!
Abernathy Jones
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Abernathy Jones
I went down to my local park this past weekend and it was full of activity. There were more people then I had seen there in a long time most of which were aimlessly wandering staring at their phones.
It occurred to me that it looked like a horde of zombies walking in random directions. You know what I mean just like when the group in the movie looks over the fence at the mall when the zombies don't know they are there.
I did recycle an old joke so that I could use it in my show for this group of people it got a chuckle or two if you'd like to use it is: how can you tell a boy Pokemon from a girl? The boy has pokeballs. Sure it's the old snowman joke and it's corny but really corny is okay now and again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Pokemon Go (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL