The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Echovox (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Hi Folks:

Again I turn to my brothers and sisters in magic for some input. For my new novel I'm trying to construct an Echovox (Spirit Box, Ghost Box . . .) that would have the same ability to convince/deceive (depending on your point of view) using electronics and other materials that were in existence no later than 1931 (although some experimental but not released items could possibly fit in).

Any advice, suggestions, thoughts, whatever would be greatly appreciated. PM or respond here--I'm easy!

Thanks and best,

gary
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
William Robinson, aka Chung Ling Soo, 1898 Spirit Slate Writing and Kindred Phenomena, page 77+
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Magnets & thread can have wonderful applications to bringing about the effects of "Spirit Boxes".

Julie
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Lin and Julie, thanks. Excellent suggestions. My bad, however, for not being clearer. I need the device to produce the same seemingly spectral voices that the Exhibit does. Well not necessarily as "sophisticated" but basically some form of random phoneme linking. That's the most challenging part.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with "the Exhibit", but perhaps if you have a look through _Dunninger's Encyclopedia _ you'll find some period-appropriate inspiration for your device.
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Thanks, Lin. Good idea. I'll dig out my copy.

At the moment I'm researching some of the early sound film technology to see if it could be adapted. It really wasn't well known at the time--much of it was still experimental--so if it is adaptable it could fool magicians and other "skeptics." But, again, any suggestions are appreciated.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Here is something I built a few years ago, it is remote activated. Although the voice on chip is more of a comedy type a serious or spooky voice can be used.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GglSkyKfNOE

Chuck C.
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Hry, Chuck, tres cool! However I'm limited to materials available in 1930-31.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Echovox (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL