The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Beginning in Mentalism (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
744 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2016, noesgaardk wrote:
I have ordered:
13 Steps to Mentalism
Practical Mental Magic
Prism by Max Maven
Fundamentals by Bob Cassidy

That's a lot of dense material (most of it was not designed for someone starting in mentalism). I would also probably go to one of Osterlind's video at first (his setps on penguin cover a lot of ground).
noesgaardk
View Profile
New user
Saskatoon, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of noesgaardk
Quote:

That's a lot of dense material (most of it was not designed for someone starting in mentalism). I would also probably go to one of Osterlind's video at first (his setps on penguin cover a lot of ground).

Okay! Probably a valid point.
I'll order the download from Penguin.
Thanks!
noesgaardk
View Profile
New user
Saskatoon, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of noesgaardk
Which Penguin video were you referring to?
B_man2012
View Profile
New user
Republic of Croatia
100 Posts

Profile of B_man2012
Just type 'osterlind' in Penguin's search bar and it'll pop up.

Not sure if Nestor D is referring to Osterlind's steps or his covering of Corinda's.
~ The Croatian Mentalist ~

>PM me if you need help with anything graphic design related!
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
744 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
I was refering to Osterlind's step (not his redition of the corinda one) : in those he covers most of his material which includes work with cards, spoons, blindfold, billets, etc.

Some of his step are not perfect and quitte partial but, sticking to his work only, you will have all you need for a long time (if not forever). He is a great teacher and his material is especialy simple and direct, that's probably the best way to start Smile
noesgaardk
View Profile
New user
Saskatoon, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of noesgaardk
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2016, Nestor D wrote:
I was refering to Osterlind's step (not his redition of the corinda one) : in those he covers most of his material which includes work with cards, spoons, blindfold, billets, etc.

Some of his step are not perfect and quitte partial but, sticking to his work only, you will have all you need for a long time (if not forever). He is a great teacher and his material is especialy simple and direct, that's probably the best way to start Smile

I see at Penguin that Osterlind has done video series' on both 13 Steps by Corinda and Practical Mental Magic by Annemann.
I don't see anything else called Step. I did purchase Penguin's Richard Osterlind Live 1. We'll see what that's like.
B_man2012
View Profile
New user
Republic of Croatia
100 Posts

Profile of B_man2012
Agree with Nestor - everything Richard puts out goes a long way. His materials will provide a jumpstart to any beggining mentalist.
~ The Croatian Mentalist ~

>PM me if you need help with anything graphic design related!
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
744 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
You can search for "Osterlind's 13 Steps" on penguin website and pick the steps on the subjects you want to explore. Here is the first one :
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5480

The complete pack can also be bought on Osterlind's website :
http://osterlindmysteries.com/store/inde......s_id=102

His live video are also great (and contain most of the material) Smile
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
While I will recommend the usual - 13 steps, etc. For you I would say that you need to figure out who you are. Character is probably the biggest weapon a mentalist has and unfortunately - a weapon that has been neglected for many. If you figure out who you are as a mentalist and as a person - you will be afforded much forgiveness when something goes wrong.
As for resources - read, watch, hear just about anything and everything Bob Cassidy has out but do not get into the trap of becoming a Bob Cassidy - work on you while you're learning from Bob.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
noesgaardk
View Profile
New user
Saskatoon, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of noesgaardk
Good advice.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1497 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
This isn't really complicated. Just get a couple of videos (like the ones I recommended or similar), learn to do a few of them well, and go to it. Everything else falls into place with time.
Luke 21:25 - And there shall be signs in the SUN, and in the MOON, and in the STARS; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;
Forty Six & 2
View Profile
New user
Yippee!! I finally have
81 Posts

Profile of Forty Six & 2
For me, memorizing a deck was my first introduction to real mentalism. By tweaking my presentation of the divination of a thought of card over the years I learnt the subtleties that really sell the illusion. May I recommend Mind Mysteries vol.2 by Richard Osterlind as well as the other videos in that series Smile
www.ukmindreader.com

Seek and you will find
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Beginning in Mentalism (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL