The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » The "vanish" of something that wasn't there (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
The Washington Post's "Wonkblog" reports on a scientific study which found a magician could induce one in three people to report that they had seen the vanish of something that wasn't there in the first place. The "Phantom Vanish Illusion" was developed for this study by Matthew Tompkins, a doctoral researcher at Oxford University. (Tompkins got into the program, in part, by performing several coin effects during his admissions interview.)

Here's the blog article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk......y-there/

And here's the actual academic journal article on which the blog article was based.
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/1......950/full
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I first saw a vanish of a "Never Was" coin in 1959 and have used the approach many times since.

The Schneider Drop Vanish usually retains the coin the passing hand while the observers remember seeing the coin drop,
especially if the move is a repeat of an earlier actual drop. A function of Predictive Vision I have been told.

So, there is no need for any coin to exist at all in the passing hand,
with the advantage of being b ale to show that hand empty because it is.

In a 1932 manuscript a performer describes many consecutive passes with no coin in hands at all,
with observers "seeing" the coin travel each time.

So, one in three is very low. A magician who deals with proper audience engagement, Patterns of Performance and good acting should get 100%
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I remember John Mulholland, who wrote up his handling of the "disappearance" of a coin that was never there.

He took a small handful of coins from his pocket, and (apparently) picked up a small coin with his other hand. He replaced he handful of coins into his pocket. Then, he placed the "coin" ( which wasn't 'there') in his other hand. He did a "sucker" move with a finger (pulling at his wrist watch band) and showed his empty hand. I've used this for years, and, it "plays"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
That1MagicGuy
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of That1MagicGuy
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2016, funsway wrote:
I first saw a vanish of a "Never Was" coin in 1959 and have used the approach many times since.

The Schneider Drop Vanish usually retains the coin the passing hand while the observers remember seeing the coin drop,
especially if the move is a repeat of an earlier actual drop. A function of Predictive Vision I have been told.

So, there is no need for any coin to exist at all in the passing hand,
with the advantage of being b ale to show that hand empty because it is.

In a 1932 manuscript a performer describes many consecutive passes with no coin in hands at all,
with observers "seeing" the coin travel each time.

So, one in three is very low. A magician who deals with proper audience engagement, Patterns of Performance and good acting should get 100%

The first time I saw the Schneider Drop, I was so confuse even when I been watch a lot of coin magic.
Haven't been able to make the "phantom" retention consistent with my audience yet.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
This reminds me of the famous Billy McComb story where he did the gypsy thread for a large auditorium.. It turned out that he had forgotten the necessary props and just mimed the whole thing with absolutely nothing in his hands..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » The "vanish" of something that wasn't there (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL