The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Coloring book help!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
Hello, all! Me again (can you tell school's almost starting back up? Trying to get all of my magic stuff in order before I go back to grading stacks of essays!)

So I'm trying to convert my Danny Orleans Colossal Coloring book to a 4 way coloring book adding the blank pages for the climax. I got lots of large blank paper from my professional printer people, the size that folds up and becomes the size of the coloring book pages (15 by 20, I think?). I thought I could do this, add blank pages and a 4th tab for those pages to end the routine, but wow, have I rediscovered the limitations of my brain Smile Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I'm willing to buy another colossal coloring book if need be.

The pages are all 2 sided, so it's sort of complicated. I tried removing the binding staples and adding full sheets, but everything gets all muddled, as you can imagine. Should I start by evening out all of the tabs? Cutting them off I mean? Then adding pages? Then recutting the tabs?

I hope you can understand what I'm asking. How to add blank pages to the existing coloring book to get that Silly Billy climax. I know many of you have said you made your own, but the quality of coloring book paper is pretty bad these days. And Danny Orleans paper is great. So Id just like to try to add the blank pages.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

--Frank
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

So many people have looked at this and not replied. I think I know why. There's just NO WAY to do it Smile

So I just came up with a less-than-perfect method. I have two shows today and will try it out. I added about 5 FULL, blank sheets to the back of the coloring book. So when I flip through them, it looks like 10 blank pages. All of the blank pages stick out a little more than the pages that came with the book. So all I do for the climax is grab the slightly longer pages with my thumb and start flipping from there.

I've done the coloring book routine so many times and it just doesn't get any better than having the kids erase their own scribbles, then begin erasing their good coloring. Then ending with a completely blank book...it's just an explosion of laughter and screeching (if you like that sort of reaction).

I highly recommend purchasing Danny's Collosal Coloring Book and adding blank pages to the back for the climax. I also use Danny's disappearing crayons (you have to make them) and his breakaway crayon to really make the routine a fun ride Smile

I'll let you know how it goes!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1175 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Do disappearing markers instead of crayons - they are bigger and are easier to see, and don't melt or break. I've seen them for sale in the past but I don't know if they still make them, but you can make them yourself - I do. I have some other cool tricks you can do combining disappearing markers I might put out at some point.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3188 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If you make your own disappearing crayons (as shown in my Kid Show Magic e-Book) you can either use real crayons for close-up, or for stage where no one is going to get too close to the crayons, keep on building and make crayon fekes from wooden dowels cut down and painted crayon colors. I even roll a label around the lead black crayon that is pulled out to use as a "magic wand." No melting and you choose the size of the dowels for your situation. The e-Book also shows how to turn regular Dollar Store coloring books into magic coloring books.

An interesting variation is Spellbinder's use of 5 x 7 inch coloring books from Oriental Trading (described in The Wizards' Journal #24). That makes the coloring books the same size as jumbo cards, and he gives lots of ideas for combining the magic coloring book with various jumbo card "moves" and sleights.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Sounds like a lot of work, is showing the book blank at the end really an improvement? His routine as published made sense, it built, it had the funny sequence with the messed up drawings, then the logical conclusion with the pictures coloured in. I'm not sure how how making the book blank at the end would add anything to it. Isn't it undoing all the magic you've just done to the pictures?
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Hey MickNZ!

It's Silly Billy's routine that empowers the kids to scribble, color, and erase. The completely blank book is a surprise ending that makes the kids go nuts. (Same as the standard magic coloring book)

David Kaye's routine is published, but not free for all, so you'd have to purchase his book or dvd. Basically, the blank ending is a great climax. I'd love to figure out a way to gimmick the Collosal coloring book so I at least have the OPTION to do either routine.

To be honest, the blank pages at the back isn't deceptive enough, unfortunately. Back to the drawing board! Smile
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3188 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The version I like to do begins with a regular coloring book with black and white outline drawings. Then I vanish the crayons and toss them "invisibly" to the audience so they can wave them in the air and color in the book. But that results in a lot of scribble-scrabble coloring lines appearing on the pages, so I "collect all the invisible crayons" and start again, smoothing out the colors by waving the rainbow banner until it turns black. Now the pictures are colored correctly. I then give away the coloring book to the child who was helping me but as he takes the book back to his seat, I tell him he'll need the crayons that we vanished so he can have the fun of coloring in all the pictures again. That's when he (and the audience) discover that "it was all a magic dream" and the book is once again an ordinary coloring book of black and white line drawings, with the box of crayons restored to an ordinary box of crayons. I get my coloring books and crayons from the Dollar Store so it only costs me $2 for a great audience participation effect and an inexpensive give-away for the helper. Everyone has his favorite method and presentation, and that just fits my style.
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island
398 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
Check out Dover Publishing for Coloring books. Their pages are better quality to make your own coloring book.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
There is or was a 6 way coloring book with
Nursery Rhymes as theme.

Gives room for fractured versions, scribbling - blank - purple faces -black and white.

Got it decades ago.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1811 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Does anyone know a source for the Nursery Rhyme Magic Coloring Book that Harris mentioned above?
I'd love to get one.

I think there's great potential for Nursery Rhyme Magic for preschool to grade 2 shows.
Something like the Insurance Policy with Nursery Rhymes since kids that age might not know their playing cards.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Hi Anatole! The 4 way book? Most online magic shops carry it. I bought 10 from D Robbins magic! But you can get them anywhere you buy your props I think.
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
My review of the Danny Orleans Colossal Coloring Book is in the November issue of Linking Ring. Since the magazine is for IBM members here, I won't provide the review, but my bottom line was that I strongly recommend the book. I've been using it since this summer and gotten great response.

My routine is a version of the Silly Billy routine, with the emphasis on teasing the audience about whether they want to see what they've done. I understand Frankieacemagic's question, and I understand his liking for the blank pages kicker at the end of the Silly Billy routine, but I find that just getting the pages back to the black and white line drawings is very effective and I don't think it suffers much from not going blank.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of wally
Can't. Seem to find the 6 way and the 4 way colouring book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Coloring book help!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL