The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Business cards for non-professionals (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
Hello,

Many mentalism effects use business cards, to write down thoughts, draw something, etc. However, I am still a student and have no business cards. I also don't plan on performing magic professionally, so I won't need cards for that. I was wondering if any of you are in a similar position, and what you do. I could use blank cards, or print something basic with my name and linkedin page. What do the other non-professionals among you use?

Kind regards,

Sander
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
247 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
I used Avery Clean Edge blank cards for a really long time. Sams Club sells them at an excellent price but they are also available at Walmart, Kroger... I now prefer using my own printed business cards, but these have served me well in the past. Hope that helps.

Josh
Anthony Black
View Profile
Special user
Tamworth - Albion
855 Posts

Profile of Anthony Black
You could always just have some printed on cheap stock online from somewhere like vistaprint.

Maybe with the ESP symbols on one side and your phone number underneath, blank on the other side, nice and simple.
Plus you could do a load of other bits of 'fun' with the symbols...AND your phone number! Smile

Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Use cards from local restaurants, businesses. Next time you get your hair cut, visit a doctor, etc., grab a bunch. "Expired" appointment cards from the same will also serve you well. More congruent then printing up cards that you really don't have any use for yet.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Vista print will print you 500 cards for $9.98. It's probably worth it even if you're not trying to be a pro. You could just have them be calling cards, rather than 'business' cards.

Also you can get blank cards on eBay and amazon. I've tried a number of good blank ones, but the thickness varies so it's important to figure out what you're going to do with them (do you want to fold them? stack them? need a slight gloss? )
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Although I have my own business cards (boxes of the things) I often break out blank cards I got from Amazon, like Last Laugh suggests - they are nice clean white opaque card with a reasonable finish, nice 3mm radiused corners, poker card sized, and the bonus is I can buy them by the thousand for about a tenner. I have a stack of them by my computer and often use them for writing notes on and the like.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Vistaprint for just a few euros gives you a nice bunch of cards.

As Bill suggested using other people's cards will also work.
Near the exit of your local GAMMA (Dutch hardware store) you will find a wall full of businesscards from local contractors.

At HEMA (Also a Dutch store) you will find cheap indexcards for billet work.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I used Vistaprint, and just put my name in the center of the card. No contact information at all, just my name in a somewhat original font.
I got the idea from something Max Maven once wrote about his cards.
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2016, Marc O wrote:
Vistaprint for just a few euros gives you a nice bunch of cards.

As Bill suggested using other people's cards will also work.
Near the exit of your local GAMMA (Dutch hardware store) you will find a wall full of businesscards from local contractors.

At HEMA (Also a Dutch store) you will find cheap indexcards for billet work.

What do you put on the cards you get at vistaprint?
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
I used the art work of Symblistic.
Available through Stephen Young.
http://www.thoughtillusions.com/symblistic.html

I used to use my business cards together with my Mini MD.
But you can also use the symbols on the card as an inspiration for a DD.

But Vistaprint has a lot of basic sheets you can use.
Just find one that you think you can use as inspiration for a storyline.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
For a non professional, a simple calling card/biz card with your name, your email and your facebook page address would fly just fine, and they'd be usable by you in social situations.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I have business cards but rarely if ever will I use them for mentalism or magic (although there is some subtle work in them for some effects if required)...for almost all effects I use blanks - ordered tons in bulk - great for many things - I hold to the camp of never using your business card in any way that can appear to "damage" or "demean" it.... its easy enough to sign a blank card or add any more info you want - I only hand out a business card for specific reasons that involve business and with a bit of ceremony... adds to the mystique for me at least.

Handing out business cards galore for effects just reduces their intangible power IMHO as something that is an extension of you. With blanks you can tear, burn, rip, crush, etc. I have various stock for various effects. For my business card, the effects I use it for require no tearing, burning, ripping or writing on it - in fact, it ends up a divination object that can be used by the person as a good luck charm Smile

But to each their own!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I've just looked on Amazon UK and found plastic blank business cards, which you can apparently write on with an erasable marker. They come in packs of 10 or 100. There could be potential here ...

Barry
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Pay ten bucks for 500 cards that say Elon Musk. Hand write "Wed 3:00". Don't explain the meeting indicated, just say "I don't need this anymore" and use it as a billet. Let them think you know him. Questions about it can be answered "sorry, that's proprietary."

Patrick
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Use blank cards. Or just your name or just Elon musk. What difference does it make. You're going to tear it up anyway.
B_man2012
View Profile
New user
Republic of Croatia
100 Posts

Profile of B_man2012
The Elon Musk idea is beautiful Smile If you want you can put my contact info on them, I give you complete rights Smile

I'm just starting and have acquired blank business cards paper, it's great for NW-ing, switches, DDs and many other effects, but I plan on designing my own (being a graphic designer) in the near future because I like the idea of giving them out as souvenirs after reading thoughts - imo it's great marketing/networking.
~ The Croatian Mentalist ~

>PM me if you need help with anything graphic design related!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2016, B_man2012 wrote:
but I plan on designing my own (being a graphic designer) in the near future because I like the idea of giving them out as souvenirs after reading thoughts - imo it's great marketing/networking.

i used to think that, but overall (for me) I preferred the personal touch and like writing a small hand-written "thank you" message instead...and the other side is their drawing or whatever I am using for readings/analysis...

you can still jot down a contact detail too...but you gotta experiment and find out what works best for you and what fits what you like doing Smile
I've asked to be banned
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Http://www.linguist.com/services-japanese-card.htm

Not that I am saying you should act as if you are always dealing in a Japanese context - but there are many elements here that add mystique and power to a person's character.... which is why I use only blanks... if I am to write on my own business card, it better be for something ASTOUNDING. Smile

http://www.brochuremonster.com/brochure-......ards.php

Showmanship and performance fundamental concept - give an item respect and attention and imbue it with meaning. Imagine that card has a part of YOU inside it. Things make more sense with that internal script.

Non-professionals can have a card -it can even be a "calling card" as of old, which again adds mystique. I have business cards, blank cards, and calling cards. Versatility is the key and like all things, use the right tool for the right context.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
B_man2012
View Profile
New user
Republic of Croatia
100 Posts

Profile of B_man2012
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2016, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2016, B_man2012 wrote:
but I plan on designing my own (being a graphic designer) in the near future because I like the idea of giving them out as souvenirs after reading thoughts - imo it's great marketing/networking.

i used to think that, but overall (for me) I preferred the personal touch and like writing a small hand-written "thank you" message instead...and the other side is their drawing or whatever I am using for readings/analysis...

you can still jot down a contact detail too...but you gotta experiment and find out what works best for you and what fits what you like doing Smile

I agree with you, and personal messages are always a nice touch. Pete Turner does it often where he writes a short personal message on the back of his business card and gives it to a spectator. I think it is a great way of giving meaning and importance to a business card or contact details.

I know that what works best for me might not work at all for the next guy. I am planning of making a bunch of minimalistic calling cards, with just my name and phone number or email printed tiny on one end of it, hence leaving one and 3/4 sides empty to use any way I want. But that is just my preference.

I also like Corinda's idea in 13 Steps of pencils "for reading minds" that can be handed out as souvenirs after being used in a performance. Essentially it is a normal pencil with your name on it. Anyone uses something like that?
~ The Croatian Mentalist ~

>PM me if you need help with anything graphic design related!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Business cards for non-professionals (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL