The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best ways to look at bottoms (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Ok, maybe the title was misleading in two ways

First: This is not me giving you all advise

Second: And it's not about how to see people’s naked butts, though if anyone does have info on this I might be interested in a pdf

So - what is it about? – the bottom of the pack, the last card in the deck

Anybody have good patter, or misdirection to do this [look at the last card] easily. What about when not performing to just one person [?] as in a group - it would be painful to get burned and revealed

So far my ‘plan’ – is to show the people that they have shuffled the deck [by fanning a few cards from the bottom] – ok – so I get to see the last card in the stub, but boy is that clunky. I’m sort of showing them it was a fair shuffle, by making it unfair [in that if I were a memory genius I could learn loads of cards in the order]

I would love to know how others sneak a look, or ways they talk around it. I guess it’s such a baby move, but I just want to get all the simple moves correct [and polished] before even bothering moving onto the big moves, like hiding doves up my ass [err that is how that trick is done isn’t it?]

Thanks for any advice on looking at bottoms
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
The simplest way is to just glimse it as you square the deck.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
That sounds so simple

Or, maybe it's just me that's simple

I square the deck, and 'glimse' at the bottom card of the deck [?]

You don't mean you square the deck face side up [too obvious]

I will need to go away and have both a think, and a practice at this... I guess you mean I square the deck and with both hands and so lift the deck to an angle that it more or less shows me the bottom of the deck... in one natural/smoothe move... hmm... I will have a go.

Thanks for the help
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2016, The Duster wrote:
I would love to know how others sneak a look, or ways they talk around it.

For pure sleight demo, I mainly use Jim Swain's Ghost Peek. If you want a risk-free, in-hand gimmick-assisted peek (G.A.P), I'd recommend Mariano Goni's Eagle. Otherwise, pick Tom Elderfield's INSIGHT.

The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Thanks for that

TBH not looking at buying anything - just wanted to learn [from experienced performers] how they do the basics

I really don't want to be leaving card boxes on the table, to cover that I can't do something basic like sneak a look at the bottom of the deck

But I appreciate the help

I apologise I wasn't clear

I was just asking for any patter/ideas people had - to cover the sneaky look. Or even any stories - of getting caught and how the dealt with it.
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2016, The Duster wrote:
I was just asking for any patter/ideas people had - to cover the sneaky look. Or even any stories - of getting caught and how the dealt with it.

You may instruct the spectator to sign her chosen card, to multiply the value with her age, to write down the value in a small piece of paper, and to put the folded paper into the card box.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Or say, "would you wear this blind fold, while I take a look at the bottom card of the deck"
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
It's funny how you are trickier than I thought!

Sometimes being comical may provide a good misdirection.

Good luck!
LoganPorterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of LoganPorterMagic
Mirror..
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I was all excited when I saw the topic! Oh, well....
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Made me think of Donald Trump... (Oh, come on, you were ALL thinking it.)
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
Once had a situation with a heckler. He shuffled the cards, handed them to me, asking "Have seen what you need to?" (from context it was clear that he knew the concept of key cards).

I fanned the cards face up(!), glimpsed bottom, commented "you could have shuffled better", did another shuffle retaining the bottom card. Since he then tried to ruin the effect with another method I assume he swallowed it. That was the last trick at this table.
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

The rest of life is essentially the same problem.

IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Just saw this thread and simply couldn't resist posting.

I think the best way to look at 'bottoms' is to simply stare Smile Smile
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2016, The Duster wrote:
That sounds so simple

Or, maybe it's just me that's simple

I square the deck, and 'glimse' at the bottom card of the deck [?]

You don't mean you square the deck face side up [too obvious]

I will need to go away and have both a think, and a practice at this... I guess you mean I square the deck and with both hands and so lift the deck to an angle that it more or less shows me the bottom of the deck... in one natural/smoothe move... hmm... I will have a go.

Thanks for the help

Leatn what is called an "all around square up" and you'll have what you are looking for.
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of macc
I second that!
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
My favorite is an old gamblers glimpse described as The Oblique Peek (p78) in Secrets of the Card Sharps (1972) by Gerard Majax, also under chapter Tools - Bottom Card Glimpse (p17) in The Devil's Staircase (2014) by Greg Chapman.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Make peak in the act of making a riffle shuffle.

A black cup of coffee/smart phone might also come in handy.

Have the spectator messily mix up the deck on a surface and gain peak in the act of bringing order/squaring up/rotating all the cards.

Having a post-shuffled deck put back in the card case. This will allow for a 'card case peak' (after the necessary time misdirection).
AndreaMooreMagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of AndreaMooreMagic
This is a little bit out of the box, but if you have a watch or a reflective table or surface, you can always take advantage of it to peek on the off beat.
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2016, AndreaMooreMagic wrote:
This is a little bit out of the box, but if you have a watch or a reflective table or surface, you can always take advantage of it to peek on the off beat.

That one is actually a classic, so not very out of the box Smile
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

The rest of life is essentially the same problem.

AndreaMooreMagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of AndreaMooreMagic
Haha, Okay you are right. Doesn't make it any less practical however.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best ways to look at bottoms (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL