The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Svengali Notebook by Alan Wong (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
New in stock and ready to ship we have these Svengali Notebooks from Alan Wong.

I like these as they are like a small book with cover front and back which will protect the pad when in use going in and out of your pocket.

Check them out here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/47449[1].html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Definitely getting some of them,they are reallycheap compared to the others on the market
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
...Aaaaaand HERE THEY ARE! Smile

...Hey Mark, there's a typo on the page- "Note only the notebook is supplies along with a..."
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Is this not the same as "something" paul brook released a few years back?

Kieran
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2016, EZrhythm wrote:
...Aaaaaand HERE THEY ARE! Smile

...Hey Mark, there's a typo on the page- "Note only the notebook is supplies along with a..."

Good spot! thanks
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
I got a chance to see one of these Alan Wong pads yesterday. I have nothing against Alan. In fact I even taught him an effect he saw me do a while back and I think he is a very nice guy. But I really did not like this pad. From what I observed , the handling of the pad is counter intuitive. The cuts were not nearly as precise as the Svenpad. I also much prefer the handling of the Svenpad.

Yes we all know the idea of a Svengali type pad has been around for ages. I had made plenty of them up long before the Svenpad came along. But it was Brett who had the idea to get these made this way and created a precision tool for us to use. But then as usual others said, "Hey great idea" and they jump on the bandwagon. As far as price goes, having had to sit down and make these up myself handcutting them, I'm happy to pay the asking price for a svenpad. Not too expensive to me. My time is more valuable. And I'm getting quality product.

I paid full price for my Svenpads. None were given to me. I do not know Brett on a personal level. Never met the man. But he brought something of value to the community. And he did it first. So when I need one of these pads he will get my business. I just wanted to share my honest thoughts on the matter.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I bought some Sven pads in Blackpool from Mike Murrey and Im going to buy this one,when I get it ill do a honest side by side comparison of it
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
These look stapled along the spine?! more chance of them warping in the medium term if so...meaning they'll lose their 'ability'...
I've asked to be banned
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I like the idea of a side opening notebook more than a pad, personally.
Not sure what you're seeing Iain but I can't see any staples. I was thinking it looked bound. But I can't really tell from the picture. That'd make a difference.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
According to the website "They are very good quality made by Alan Wong with a plain black front and back cover and measure around 140mm high by 110mm wide, they are bound like a book down the long edge and have 100 pages in each book making 50 double Svengali pages."

I like side openers too - I just want to see the back-side of the book.... dear Saturn UK, any chance you can post a pic of the front and back covers? I am hoping they look identical Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ah! in the saturn magic image, the picture is much more degraded...it looked like there was indentions down the side, but it must have been the rippled/textured cover...

they look good! better pictures here...
http://www.propdog.co.uk/recent-additions/Svengali-Sven-Pad
I've asked to be banned
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Now see, That's a great idea. I always thought the pads seemed odd to have filled up with writing. When I use a pad in real life, I tear of pieces after I write on them. But a notebook makes much more sense to be filled with writing or images.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
There's a big downfall to all the sv*ngli pads out though, and its why its always put me off buying them...

these Wong ones look pretty decent...if I didn't cut my own and have those other ones to use up, I might give 'em a whirl...but I only use them for one minor routine in a lead up to something else, so not worth it for me...
I've asked to be banned
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I like it - these one can force 6 things easy
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2016, IAIN wrote:
There's a big downfall to all the sv*ngli pads out though, and its why its always put me off buying them...

these Wong ones look pretty decent...if I didn't cut my own and have those other ones to use up, I might give 'em a whirl...but I only use them for one minor routine in a lead up to something else, so not worth it for me...

What's the big down fall Iain on these type of pads ? Audience management is the only one I can possibly think of but that is very easily dealt with IMO but yours might not be that so I am interested to know your downside with this age old principle as it has sure stood the test of time ?🙂
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You know what, I was gonna say...but I've been accused of all sorts recently, unnecessarily so...so I wont bother Smile

I did try to delete the comment but didn't get there in time
I've asked to be banned
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Lol, apparently posting opinions about Svengali pads of any sort is dangerous....
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2016, sbays wrote:
I got a chance to see one of these Alan Wong pads yesterday. I have nothing against Alan. In fact I even taught him an effect he saw me do a while back and I think he is a very nice guy. But I really did not like this pad. From what I observed , the handling of the pad is counter intuitive. The cuts were not nearly as precise as the Svenpad. I also much prefer the handling of the Svenpad.

Yes we all know the idea of a Svengali type pad has been around for ages. I had made plenty of them up long before the Svenpad came along. But it was Brett who had the idea to get these made this way and created a precision tool for us to use. But then as usual others said, "Hey great idea" and they jump on the bandwagon. As far as price goes, having had to sit down and make these up myself handcutting them, I'm happy to pay the asking price for a svenpad. Not too expensive to me. My time is more valuable. And I'm getting quality product.

I paid full price for my Svenpads. None were given to me. I do not know Brett on a personal level. Never met the man. But he brought something of value to the community. And he did it first. So when I need one of these pads he will get my business. I just wanted to share my honest thoughts on the matter.

So, are these available in the US also? Can't see them on any website except propdog and Saturn.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Suspcious
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Me too, Karl. I think he's telling Porkies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Svengali Notebook by Alan Wong (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL