The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Ricky Jay - Cards as weapons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John McDonald
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, England, UK
165 Posts

Profile of John McDonald
Does anyone own this book? If you do could you post a review or point me in the right direction? Is it a card effects book, routines, card throwing book? What's it like? Is it collectable? Why is it so rare?
Best wishes John
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
It is a book on card throwing and part humour. The book has been out of print for at least 2o years. you won't find a copy of it for less then $200.00 it seems.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Sorry, can't help with Ricky Jay but if you are interested in card throwing you might like to take a look at the following site:

The Encyclopedia of Card Shooting
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1483 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
It's a book about card throwing (considered as a mean of self-defense!) It teaches to throw a playing card very far, quite strong and accurately (you can tear some newspapers and some other tricks). Even a multiple-cards-throw.

Jonathan.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
It's an entertaining overview of card scaling/throwing, gathering info on the subject from various sources in one place, but that's not why people buy it (for less money you can just do research in Hugard & the other usual suspects).

It's a collector's item, due to the celebrity Ricky Jay's attained in the years since, perhaps partly also because it contains a couple of nude pictures (not RJ, thankfully!).
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
645 Posts

Profile of JordanB
The book is ok. I would recommend either "Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women" or "Jay's Journal of Anomalies" though. They are in print and I think they are more entertaining anyway. I paid $300 for a 1st edition Cards as Weapons in M/NM condition but as a book it's not as good as the other two.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Has good value for collectors.
the contents are practically free on the internet, if you know where to look for them.
N
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
It's basically a satire. I looked through a friend's signed copy. It teaches you 3 different methods to throw cards, and a bunch more to throw decks, packets, etc. It isn't meant to be serious. It's still pretty good though.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Ricky Jay has a new website now:

http://www.rickyjay.com/

(Beautiful by the way)

Just do a Google search on “Cards as weapons” or “Throwing cards” and you will find lots of info, even from Jay’s book.
H_Ho
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of H_Ho
From what I saw when flipping through the book, it's not all that serious with the pictures of the demonstrators. I'm not sure why he wrote it, though. But his writing style is quite good. I have read Cards as weapons, just bits and pieces of Learned Pigs...
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2023 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have Cards as Weapons and cannot figure out why it sells for the astronomical prices they are getting.The book is teaching you how to throw cards and a few topless female models. Does it have a use in magic, no not really. I am holding on to my copy for it's value only as was stated above they go easily for around $200.00 and I believe new they were $8.95. Talk about inflation huh ?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
NLewis
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of NLewis
The book is truly excellent and worth every penny as a collectors item. They are almost certainly on Amazon (in stock in fact!). Get yours quickly!
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
498 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Looking for information as to why there are 1st edition 1st & 2nd printings listed for Hardcover and soft cover. Want to make an informed decision when putting up so much for a book.

Thank you

Pete
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
matteomencarelli
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of matteomencarelli
Quick question - in regards to the hardcover, does anybody know whether the Darien House is rarer or the Image Graphics? Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Ricky Jay - Cards as weapons (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL