The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What knock out effects like this do you perform and recommend? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
I have a friend for whom I perform quite often. Few days ago I had him think of a card that nobody would think of. Like a boring card that nobody would choose. He said the 4 of clubs. I had him spread the deck on the table, the deck that was on the table from the very beginning and the 4 of clubs was face up. He was some amazed he couldn't stop talking about it. He was thinking I hipnotized him or some other explanations. He was very impressed.

My questions is, what effects that can get the same amazing reaction do you perform that have a 90-100 percent race of succes do you perform?

Regards, Marian
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
I recommend the Sponge Ding Dong.

Just kidding. When the timing is right and I have two to four people who don't know each other well, I perform Tervil from PME. 100% guaranteed hit, and makes me warm on the inside every time - probably the crazy adrenaline hit.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
410 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Well, every one of us has their own favorite effects, right?
Thousands of effects in the literature can get great reactions, but it all comes down to the performer who presents them.
It wouldn't do you much good if I tell you which effects I get good reactions with.

I recommend to you:
Try to think about your claimed abilities, about your style, read the classic texts on mentalism (check Bob Cassidy's 39 Steps to mentalism if you didn't already), search out methods for plots you enjoy...
... and find the stuff that works for you.

It's a long way, but trust me, it's worth it Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18687 Posts

Profile of IAIN
To be honest, you're kinda asking us to give you the names of our most favourite and strongest effects...for free, so that you can do them for your friends...

Sooooooo, why would we do that, exactly? Isn't the idea of mentalism to only perform things that support your persona? So that means everyone's favourite will not necessarily fit you...then you'll think they are crap...

So why not just study more and road test them, develop them into something that gives you what you want?

Not being harsh, an example is this...i don't like bank nite, but I love psuedo psychometry...
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2429 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I do kind of agree with the other guys. I don't generally see a point in listing out effects. Particularly with mentalism, which I feel needs to be personalized to the performer more than any other magic-related art to be good.

My go to effect is either a hypnosis demonstration or an energy transference demonstration. Or sometimes I'll do CMR. Basically I have a toolbox of propless work I can do any time, any where, and I choose whatever I think will suit the situation. I rarely carry props with me, though.

Like the other guys, I think the best course of action is to develop your character thoroughly, and be prepared with things that support that character. Whatever powers you are claiming you should be able to demonstrate.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Honestly, I believe the most impressive thing you could do for anybody, is a reading.
A short reading, just like if you were getting the information from inside his/her mind.

Or, a psychometry routine... ask for a personal object (which might belong to someone who has passed away) and do a psychometry reading from that object...

I don't have a problem playing it for real, I got into mentalism for a reason.

If you were really psychic, you wouldn't need to carry props with you... (playing cards,dies,envelopes,wallets*,etc)

Learn a good foundation on the basics...
Cold Reading
Contact Mind Reading
Billet work
A reading system

And you are good to go...
I shall see you on the other side.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Watch the Medusa Touch, the Fury, Scanners etc. and you can see, it all depends what you mean about knock out.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1496 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2016, LoveKey1988 wrote:
My questions is, what effects that can get the same amazing reaction do you perform that have a 90-100 percent race of succes do you perform?

Regards, Marian

Hi Marian.

It sounds like you might be interested in things that rely heavily on suggestion. If you're into that kind of thing, I'd recommend Luke Jermay's early works just off the top of my head.

I have a few of my own, but they are personal to me as are most effects of this nature.
Luke 21:25 - And there shall be signs in the SUN, and in the MOON, and in the STARS; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
" The Curly Shuffle "
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3483 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Do it for real!

Make sure to pivot on your foot, turn the hips and generate power from the rotation. Aim for the chin. Hooks are a little harder for your opponent to block but you also have a little less reach with them. Set it up with a jab, follow with a cross and then finish with a hook. Always linking your movements and practicing economy of movement.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Elite user
In Your Thots
451 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Hi LL, L...O...L....really loud. Good one...
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Elite user
In Your Thots
451 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2016, IAIN wrote:
To be honest, you're kinda asking us to give you the names of our most favourite and strongest effects...for free, so that you can do them for your friends...

Sooooooo, why would we do that, exactly? Isn't the idea of mentalism to only perform things that support your persona? So that means everyone's favourite will not necessarily fit you...then you'll think they are crap...

So why not just study more and road test them, develop them into something that gives you what you want?

Not being harsh, an example is this...i don't like bank nite, but I love psuedo psychometry...

Bang on target...absolutely true.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What knock out effects like this do you perform and recommend? (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL