The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Pellikaan Has Landed (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
davidredfearn
View Profile
Regular user
London
162 Posts

Profile of davidredfearn
Had the same problem with my ###! It has no sticking effect at all In fact it doesn't work Can you change it Peter
DR
davidredfearn
View Profile
Regular user
London
162 Posts

Profile of davidredfearn
Cheers Peter top service
DR
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
769 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2016, davidredfearn wrote:
Had the same problem with my ###! It has no sticking effect at all In fact it doesn't work Can you change it Peter
DR

Yikes, same problem here! Simply does not stick... Smile
ianbarker
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
22 Posts

Profile of ianbarker
Received this the other day and just had a chance to watch the DVD and "construct" the gimmick.
As has been said, the item supplied is very poor. For the cost of this I would have expected a bigger and better item.
I feel like the teaching is very confusing and unclear. I don't think I've ever had this problem with an instructional video before.
Dave tries his best to slow things down and go over things but there's some key things which I feel aren't explained properly and glossed over.

I've bought a handful of Alakazam items before and been really happy, but this is a bit of a let down.
Drtriage
View Profile
Veteran user
My garden fence has
340 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Interesting re the teaching - I have bought videos that Peter sells on his website and the teaching there is very poor - a only a quick run through of the method, often with details left out - eg 'push off a block' without specifying the size of block and special counts done quickly). I had hoped this would be better coming from Alakazam.

Quote:
On Sep 12, 2016, ianbarker wrote:
Received this the other day and just had a chance to watch the DVD and "construct" the gimmick.
As has been said, the item supplied is very poor. For the cost of this I would have expected a bigger and better item.
I feel like the teaching is very confusing and unclear. I don't think I've ever had this problem with an instructional video before.
Dave tries his best to slow things down and go over things but there's some key things which I feel aren't explained properly and glossed over.

I've bought a handful of Alakazam items before and been really happy, but this is a bit of a let down.
ianbarker
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
22 Posts

Profile of ianbarker
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2016, Drtriage wrote:
Interesting re the teaching - I have bought videos that Peter sells on his website and the teaching there is very poor - a only a quick run through of the method, often with details left out - eg 'push off a block' without specifying the size of block and special counts done quickly). I had hoped this would be better coming from Alakazam.

This is exactly one of the issues I was referring to.
Multiple times he says "Push off a block", but it's not made at all clear how many you should be pushing off, which we are told in the video by Dave is crucial to getting the method down. Totally confusing.
Drtriage
View Profile
Veteran user
My garden fence has
340 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
It is sometimes better to get someone other than the creator of the trick to explain it because the creator knows it too well and someone else will know the pitfalls to highlight in learning a trick (as they have had to learn it to demo it!)

Quote:
On Sep 12, 2016, ianbarker wrote:
Quote:

This is exactly one of the issues I was referring to.
Multiple times he says "Push off a block", but it's not made at all clear how many you should be pushing off, which we are told in the video by Dave is crucial to getting the method down. Totally confusing.
leosx1
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of leosx1
I wasnt happy with the explanations either. Alakazam should take an example of Richards Sanders ACE to see how well an effect can be explained. Sorry to say but this is not upto Alakazams standard at all.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7520 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The method is slick and easy to do according to Peter. Doesn't sound like it to me.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
769 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:

Reluctantly have to agree with you. I say "reluctantly" because imho Peter has released many great effects, and his teaching CAN be terrific (e.g. the dvds which accompany 'The Extractor' are amazing). AND, his customer service is generally at the top of the heap. Lately, however, I've been having problems (still trying to get the moves of 'Zenner Tech' - a fairly simple effect - mastered) with his teaching. Thought it was just me, but I guess not...
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11568 Posts

Profile of John C
Looks like trouble in Carson city with a capital T

I don't own this. But it reminds me of when I'm in a restaurant and I receive a dish and look at it and say out loud.... I can't believe they even served me this. It had to go thru the cook, then the waitress, neither of them saw this?

I'm sure Peter will sort it out.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
861 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Add another voice to the criticism of this effect.

I do believe that this is the only Alakazam product that I own that I am disappointed with.

I might add that I knew what was going on here with the physical product and I knew exactly what I would be getting before I ordered (and I could have created the actual cards myself, because I already own the products supplied, including 2 better versions of the supplied product as well as the exact same playing cards), but I wanted to learn the handling directly from the source.

It would also help if an over-the-shoulder camera view was provided. I hate having to keep rewinding to try and figure out how to handle the cards when you are looking at it from the perspective of the spectator.

I will not be buying any of the other Pellikaan products that were filmed on the same day.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
MDon 2233
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of MDon 2233
This is truly dreadful. Received some new wax this is useless too doesen't stick at all. The instruction is very poor save your money on this.
MD
Someone mentioned Ace Richard Saunders , in a totally different world , better magician, better gimmick , better teacher , better effect
The end
alondon
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of alondon
I have to add that this is the only truly poor effect that I have gotten from Alakazam.
It does not work.
Save your money
Worst purchase this year
I hope that Peter will come up with a way to make this useable
Craigers
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of Craigers
Have to agree. the teaching is abysmal and the "stuff" doesn't work, Peter, over the years I've spent a small fortune on alakazam goodies and always been very happy with what I've received........until now. Hope you can find a way to fix this. I'd like to see a video of yourself teaching the trick to the same high standard of your other instructional DVD's which are a pleasure to learn from. And wouldn't mind some ideas on what to use instead of the "stuff".
MDon 2233
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of MDon 2233
It will damage the reputation of the future products in this range, which is a shame as some may be very good.
MD
magictaffy
View Profile
New user
Cardiff,Wales.UK
82 Posts

Profile of magictaffy
I have to agree with all the above comments regarding the teaching, so disappointed with Alakazam on this one, usually teaching is to a high standard, but not this time. I am also put off buying any more from this range.
Dave tried his best, unfortunately it still falls short and an over the shoulder view would be most helpful.
PM Smile
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1756 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Thanks for all the honest reviews

I will save my cash on this pile of junk

I think we can assume unlike penguin magic none of the less positive reviews will show up on the alakazam site !

Funny how it's been very quite this time from Mr Nadi

Clearly looks like the Q and A is slipping
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1910 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Title: Transcendence
Creator: Peter Pellikaan
Publisher: Alakazam Magic
MSRP: $ 25
Skill Level: intermediate
DVD Run time: 32 minutes

Type of effect: four card transposition / similar to NFW

Manufacturer's Write Up:

The most magical change of four cards you have ever seen! Four spot cards are shown front and back. The cards are mixed face up and face down. Now with no funny moves the cards instantly change to four court cards, which once again are shown front and back!!!

Transcendence is a super quick, ultra-visual packet trick that will fool your spectators badly.

Peter Pellikaan, the undisputed King of crazy packet tricks has created one of the best four card changes we have ever seen!

Transcendence comes complete with everything you need to start using it straight out of the box.

How accurate is the ad copy? no deception

What's in the box? Includes: in depth training DVD, gimmicks and carry wallet.

Key points: You do not need to use the cards that are provided, the DVD instructions use normal every day cards

How are the production values: very similar to other Alakazam videos. David Loosley and Peter Nardi sitting with Peter Pellikaan at a poker table going through the moves - multiple camera angles and well microphone.

Is it well made: German made Phoenix playing cards and a very "ancient" magician's utility is included.

Is it well taught: The initial teaching of the effect happens very quickly with David Loosley; it's only 10 minutes long. The remaining 20 minutes of the DVD is strictly devoted to various packet trick sleights; you will learn the

Eddie Titlbaum Count
Elmsley Count by Alex Elmsley
Master Grip
Opec Count by Edward Marlo
Combination Count Peter Pellikaan
Rumba Count by Jean-Pierre Vallarino
The Combo Count from Daryl
The Cut count

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" Only a few cards are needed - keep them in the card wallet provided

Does it "play big?" This isn't so much a fleshed out trick with a plot or patter, more so than it is a "packet trick" like you see in the trailer. It's going to take some fleshing out on the part of the performer.

How much arts and crafts are involved? Only a small amount, however, this trick will play better if you throw away the gimmick supplied, go to your local brick and mortar magic store and purchase "the good stuff."

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Yes, although it probably plays better with a table - and I would be wary of spectator's wanting to "grab" your cards - this trick ends very dirty - so audience management is key.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

_____Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
X Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

At it's core this is a packet trick -the cards provided and the utility are not needed for anyone with card magic experience. I would have preferred a single DVD containing several effects from Peter Pellikaan with no extras included.

To me it looks like Alakazam realized this might fall flat, so they included cards and a rush job utility to make the consumer feel like they got something worthwhile.

I also would have preferred Peter Pellikaan's performance alongside an explanation from Peter Nardi - Nardi is a much better teacher and Pellikann acts in the video like he just wants to "finish and leave."

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4byp7uPn1uo
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
Craigers
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of Craigers
I am still waiting to hear what Peter himself has to say about this product
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Pellikaan Has Landed (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL