The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Digital version of Genii question (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Driften
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Driften
I am thinking of subscribing to the digital version of Genii and have a question. Does it allow you to download a full PDF of each issue? The "Try" on the magazine FAQ does not offer that and I can understand why. I would like to archive the PDF's for off line reading... I have seen some online versions of magazine good to read and some are junk so it would be good to get an opinion on Genii before spending the money. The trial of the 2/2014 issue is not very good and does not allow testing of the audio and video features.

Thanks
Driften
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Driften
I searched around the Genii forums to find an answer to my question and it seems like there is no downloading of PDF versions of the magazine. They also built into the program that you can only print one page at a time. You can have up to 10 issues downloaded to a tablet or phone at a time but that is the limit they designed in. To me the online version of Genni is more of a "rental" then a subscription. You would lose access to the issues you have viewed if you ever stop your subscription. This really does not matter if you also get the print version other then having to archive the print copies. I am really trying to get away from keeping shelves of print magazines.

I don't think I will subscribe to Genni.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2016, Driften wrote:
I searched around the Genii forums to find an answer to my question and it seems like there is no downloading of PDF versions of the magazine. They also built into the program that you can only print one page at a time. You can have up to 10 issues downloaded to a tablet or phone at a time but that is the limit they designed in. To me the online version of Genni is more of a "rental" then a subscription. You would lose access to the issues you have viewed if you ever stop your subscription. This really does not matter if you also get the print version other then having to archive the print copies. I am really trying to get away from keeping shelves of print magazines.

I don't think I will subscribe to Genni.

What you wrote here is basically correct. You can download to your tablet but you have to view the issues from within the app (as opposed to a PDF reader) and, yes, if you stop subscribing, you lose access to them -- or, at least, I believe you do. In that respect, it is like a rental.

You can download individual pages through the desktop app but, yes, one at a time.

All of that said, Genii is a great value because a subscription includes access to every issue the magazine has published over 75 years. So, yes, you don't "own" the 12 issues you are buying in a yearly subscription, but you have access to the over 1,000 that have published since the magazine's launch. I subscribe and think it's a good value.
Driften
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Driften
Thanks Bugjack... I will read though the paper copy if the August edition I picked up at a magic shop a bit closer and consider the subscription... At least I know the limitations now.
Mindipulator
View Profile
Regular user
Mexico
109 Posts

Profile of Mindipulator
I'm a fairly new Genii subscriber.
Well worth the $35/yr.

This contains many years of magic history and offers some very interesting reading.

You won't regret this tiny investment,

Dale
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I was considering subscribing again as I had let my subscription purposely lapse, but it appears that the digital subscription is indeed only a rental -- although I have not been able to find that information anywhere, including when I subscribed. So I think I will pass on being a renter of their publication from this point on.

Robert
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
You get 80,000 pages to read for the length of your subscription. Most people subscriber for decades. If you want a more permanent copy of the magazine, I suggest you subscribe to the paper edition. Digital access comes free with the paper subscription.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
And, yes, it is set up so that you can download or print one page at a time. We do that to prevent wholesale theft.

If you are using a tablet or phone, you can download and store as many as 10 issues on the device to read offline at any one time.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Decisions, decisions, decisions!

I have a truckload of the paper version. I LOVE the tactile experience of being able to sit down in my cozy chair with something TANGIBLE in my hand that I can call "my own." And I wouldn't give them up for the world. I have thrown out tons of Readers's Digest over the years, but my Genii mags STAY.

But there is always the issue of SPACE. They take up so much valuable shelf space in my house. That, my friends, is the trade off. But on the other hand, I can honestly say I OWN THEM. Aside from a house fire, tornado, theft or other natural disaster, they are mine. TREASURES.

Can't really say that for the digital. But the downloaded versions have their advantages, too.

It's kind of analogous to the days when I had scads of vinyl record albums. Then one day I discovered I could put them all on two or three tiny little cards the size of my fingernail.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah I just bought 27 years worth of print Genii magazines from 1991-2018! I had to build yet another 6 foot bookshelf just for all of them lol. I prefer print as well, as it is easier on the eyes especially reading for long hours. I also like CD ebook files as back-ups if available. You can also buy the "Genii: The Conjurors' Magazine: Volumes 1 - 75 (1936 - 2012)" file from Lybrary as well for $249 and always have it. "Outright owning these PDFs frees you from the dependencies of the Internet, the accessibility of an online version, and future plans and decisions of the current and future owners of Genii."

One advantage of that is you can use search words to find every issue that contains a word like "Houdini" etc. I have most of the printed books of periodicals as well as the CD's so I can take advantage of both. But a "digital rental" does not interest me as I would never have the time to read it anyway as I have about 37 years worth of books still waiting to be read on my shelf, along with 27 years of Genii now. I do not like time limits imposed on me. But as of now I got PLENTY to read. Smile Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
27 years worth? A six foot shelf? Holy smokes!

Where did you get them? What did they set you back?

Sounds like reading heaven, btw.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah I use 6 foot white adjustable shelves with 5 spaces, and I have about 10 now full of magic books and other books as well lol. I got them for a great deal on here actually from someone looking to get rid of them all and just charged me shipping. Was still a few hundred though but still a great deal for like 310 magazines! I always wanted to get them back as I had almost that many long ago, but had to sell them all or throw them out due to lack of room. I also had even more Linking Rings, and many Magic Magazines as well. So these came up at the perfect time, and I am glad the guy shipped them as he could tell I really wanted them badly, and that they would be going to a great home.

So yeah I built another shelf just for these lol. I believe these will take up 3 whole shelves and I might even get a full run of "Magic Magazine" as well (also over 300 issues) if I have room but not sure as I have plenty of magazines as it is to read, and they get really heavy too on the shelves lol. I got them mostly for Jamy Ian Swiss' book reviews, as he is a longtime friend and inspiration as many know; ever since I saw him in "The Art of Magic" documentary. He loved it as well and greatly appreciated the gesture. The rest of the material is simply a bonus lol. But I also like much of the other content as well, and always wanted to be a columnist which I could have been, but I just didn't have the time to commit to it due to performing all the time. So I can't wait to read them all over the next 50 years lol.

The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
I hear you about space.

I was just relating to a magician I know that late last year, I 'downsized' ... I had GENII magazines going back to the 1960's. I had 'em on shelves, and in drawers and boxes. (I couldn't bring myself to get rid of everything, so I did razor out some articles and tricks and stapled those to the covers.)

I am still kicking myself.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I agree. Even with the space considerations, these are treasures. Time capsules, really!!

Sir Brad, I envy you! Would give anything to be able to browse through those wonderful covers.

In all those years of the mag, tell me, are there any feature articles on my idol, Doug Henning? Did he make any covers?
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah I do recall seeing Doug on the covers of a few Genii Magazines in the 70's and 80's, but not sure about after that as I have from 1991 and on. I thought he was inside several as well but forget which ones as there are so many.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ok. Thanks for the info. Doug often these days gets forgotten or not given the credit (or honor?) he is due. But I am always on the lookout for anything I can find on the guy who set me on the path of wonder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Digital version of Genii question (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL