The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 4DT + Q&A = overkill? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
AlexanderG
View Profile
Veteran user
You are now thinking of my
342 Posts

Profile of AlexanderG
I'd love to hear from experienced performers whether you think 4DT together with an envelope-based Q&A routine would be just too much. Whether the similarities/overlaps (e.g., writing on cards, placing cards in envelopes, the discerning of the contents of those cards, cold reading) are just too great to make for a varied and entertaining set. Thank you!
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Bob Cassidy has a Q&A out that combines with 4DT
There is no holy grail!
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1026 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Why are you doing Q&A with envelopes? Learn an oracle and do it for real. "jump without the rope"
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Q&A 2000 and 21st Century Q&A both by Bob Cassidy is what you are looking for.

Regarding to your question, I don't think it's overkilled, but you should estructure your entire act around Q&A and 4DT only.
I shall see you on the other side.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2016, Smoking Camel wrote:
Why are you doing Q&A with envelopes? Learn an oracle and do it for real. "jump without the rope"

Of course... this act would be considered dynamite mentalism!
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Quote:

You should tell Bob he's doing it wrong.
Lakewood, Ohio
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Yes, it is an overkill
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
747 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
I recall Bob Cassidy saying that he often fuses the two routines into one Smile

(but not as separate pieces of the same act, they would probably feel way too similar, he use 4DT in place of his Q&A for his small shows)
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2016, Sven Rygh wrote:
Yes, it is an overkill

Why? I guess if you perform the routines separately (4DT first, then Q&A) that would feel overkilled, but if they're fused into one routine, it seems ok.
Again, Bob published the way he do this, but I guess you already knew that so...Why?
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1026 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2016, j100taylor wrote:
Quote:

You should tell Bob he's doing it wrong.

Nah - Bob would simply say well, that's what a real mind reader would do.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1026 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Get Luke Jermays latest DVD set - you will see how he transitions from a 3 person telepathy routine to a Q&A routine with no issues. Of course, Luke's not using envelopes for any of it, but he gives some good direction about how the telepathy spills over into Q&A.
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
627 Posts

Profile of brehan
Smoking camel
Can you tell the name of lukes dvd?
Many thanks

Brehan
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3797 Posts

Profile of JanForster
In short, I believe also firmly that it is an overkill. Think of your audience... How what they perceive it? Could they tell somebody else in one sentence what they have experienced? Besides that, Q&A is a cultural thing. In Middle Europe people are more reluctant and get quite fast bored... Quite risky to do it over here. And I talk by a lot of experience. Colleagues over here have seen my very own take of 4DT quite frequently ("Schooltime" which is also very different by method, you will find it in my upcoming book in English...) and certainly would agree that I would loose a great deal of its impact by overloading it. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Jan, what specifically about the audiences causes them to be bored? I presume it has nothing to do with the performer? Just curious?
John
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3797 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Again, I say it is also a cultural thing. People get bored as I give one person a reading, it does not concern anybody else. People do not like in tendency to "discuss" private things in public. Esoteric themes are far less popular than in the states e. g. It is a different cultural background and education, unfortunately also in quality what is not a compliment (for a part of Americans). Readings/Q&A you still can do, but then more in private sessions. Here people (apart that you get a pre selection, who comes, who attends...) are less hesitant to open themselves. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Thanks Jan, interesting.
John
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3797 Posts

Profile of JanForster
My pleasure. I still enjoy to see a well performed Q&A - and I have seen it! People who attended mindvention a few years ago could have exprienced "Cashetta`s" act, and that was probably the best performance I have seen ever concerning "Q&A"! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1727 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I think that the only conflict is the method. I feel that 4DT would establish your credibility, bot I have a problem with the use of envelopes in both routines.
AFdC
View Profile
New user
Europe
4 Posts

Profile of AFdC
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2016, jstreiff wrote:
Jan, what specifically about the audiences causes them to be bored? I presume it has nothing to do with the performer? Just curious?

I am not Jan, but I am quite sure, it has all to do with the performer.
AFdC
View Profile
New user
Europe
4 Posts

Profile of AFdC
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2016, Smoking Camel wrote:
Get Luke Jermays latest DVD set ...

This is a very goog tip. But do not consult this DVD for the method, because the method is irrelevant.
Consult it for the premise and premonition - no wonder, that this is also the title of this DVD-Box

"Premise and Premonition" by Luke Jermay at www.vanishinginc.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 4DT + Q&A = overkill? (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL