We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Laws against busking (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
186 Posts

Profile of Endless West
I was initially charged with "pandering." I believe the sheriff was trying to charge me with panhandling (not that that would've been correct either!) but didn't know the word. I was booked under pandering (aka pimping) so what should've been a ticket, or at the most "in one door and out the other" and never seeing the inside of a jail cell, saw me in jail for 5 or 6 hours waiting on my girlfriend to drive down from Atlanta to bail me out.
The court date, one month later, found my charges changed to:
Soliciting
Loitering/prowling
Obstruction of law enforcement
I was appointed a public defender who wasn't pleased that I wouldn't just plead guilty to the charges. He was very angry when I told him there was court precedent set on busking cases that show its not soliciting or panhandling, and that those other charges are just tacked on. He set a trial date for me for two months away and told me to call him in a month to discuss it. Of course he never answered the phone or emails.
The July date came and then got pushed back to September due to "problems with the witnesses."
I typed up a long email with the city code for each charge with an explanation of each one and why I wasn't guilty. As well as pages of buskers suing cities for first amendment infringement and getting large settlements.
I basically asked him to give it to the prosecutor since he wasn't doing anything and ignoring me.
I got an email back from him the day before the trial saying they prosecutor agreed to drop the case.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Thanks for that description. Sounds like the authorities wasted your time and effort.
Thanks for standing up to things, because you are 'educating' others where we street performers stand in society and helping 'authorities' to leave us alone.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Laws against busking (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL