The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do Your Larger Tips Come From Bigger or Smaller Crowds? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
155 Posts

Profile of TheRealMagicMike
VERY preliminary results for me have been very good. I've implemented SOME of the techniques that cbguy suggested over the past two nights on the Las Vegas strip. I deliberately did half of my shows the way I always do and did the other half with some of the suggested changes. The single biggest change that has jumped out at me is that the percentage of people at my shows who tip has gone WAY up over the past 2 days when I implement just a few of the suggestions (which of course has increased my average hat significantly).

Having said that, Wednesday was a fairly slow night on the strip and tonight (Thursday) was extremely windy so I didn't go nearly as long as I normally would, so, this is with limited testing. The next 3 nights should be very good... lots of people in town for trade shows, conventions, vacations, etc., the iHeart Music festival is here and the weather should be beautiful. On Monday, I should have a better feel for things.

Also, I'm not particularly a natural "people-person" as far as being extremely outgoing... I'm more of what you would call very "like-able" and natural, so, I'm having to add cbguy's tips slowly into my act until I'm comfortable with the flow of things. My show is very well thought out (I'm not saying it's always right, but there is a reason and a psychology behind everything I do), so I'm slowly working in the new information.

I'm excited for the weekend and will post on Monday how the next few nights go here... So far... all systems are GO!!! Smile
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
TheRealMagicMike:

That is AWESOME!!!

I like the fact that it's working, so far with your performing character. Especially the fact that your character sounds like the opposite of mine.

My character is crazy & a bit over the top. This is an important observation because it tells us that this can be applied universally.

I'll be looking forward to your update after the weekend.

Fat Hats my friend!
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1081 Posts

Profile of gallagher
So Mike,..
did you play in your 'birthday suit'?
,...ahh!
NOW WE KNOW THE SECRET!

Hey, hope you had a good one,..
and more to come.

Your birthday, is the Vernal Equinox.
Unfortunately, for us(!),
....shorter days,
colder nights,...
chopping wood, for the winter...
Funny, how,..
when summers starts,..
I never think it'll end...
then comes Mike's Birthday......

Well, our friends in Australia,...
Magicol, in New Zealand,....
I'm sure THEY celebrate with you!
,....hey, hope you had a good one.
Keep going for it,..
the 'birthdays', that is,.. 🎂
,...hope I got the right number of candles there.....
gallagher
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
155 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 24, 2016, gallagher wrote:
So Mike,..
did you play in your 'birthday suit'?
,...ahh!
NOW WE KNOW THE SECRET!

Hey, hope you had a good one,..
and more to come.

Your birthday, is the Vernal Equinox.
Unfortunately, for us(!),
....shorter days,
colder nights,...
chopping wood, for the winter...
Funny, how,..
when summers starts,..
I never think it'll end...
then comes Mike's Birthday......

Well, our friends in Australia,...
Magicol, in New Zealand,....
I'm sure THEY celebrate with you!
,....hey, hope you had a good one.
Keep going for it,..
the 'birthdays', that is,.. 🎂
,...hope I got the right number of candles there.....
gallagher

Hi gallagher,

Thanks for remembering my birthday !!! Smile Yes, it was good... at least as good as "older" birthdays can get!!!

Yes, my Birthday Suit... you have discovered my SUPER SECRET weapon... remember, they do call me "Magic Mike"... I had the nickname long before Channing Tatum made it famous... and now I struggle to even say it to tourists. To make matters worse, next year Planet Hollywood in Vegas is going to open "Magic Mike Live"... so, after many years I may have to re-think my name... or maybe capitalize on it!!!

Thanks again for the birthday wishes...
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
155 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 23, 2016, cbguy wrote:
TheRealMagicMike:

That is AWESOME!!!

I like the fact that it's working, so far with your performing character. Especially the fact that your character sounds like the opposite of mine.

My character is crazy & a bit over the top. This is an important observation because it tells us that this can be applied universally.

I'll be looking forward to your update after the weekend.

Fat Hats my friend!

Just a quick update for everyone on cbguy's techniques and methods... I've been out for the past 4 nights (Friday-Monday) incorporating the information and suggestions that he had sent me. I have consistently gotten bigger hats than usual... there is no doubt about it... and the part I'm happiest about is that the percentage of people who tip has gone up tremendously.

Almost more interestingly, I've had many more people come back a couple of nights in a row just to stand around and help "promote" me to other people passing by... So, the thing that really jumped out at me was that I built a stronger connection to people which actually lasted more than just the duration of the show.

What I like about this "system" (for lack of a better word) is that it is "modular"... you can incorporate certain pieces of it, leave others out, play with pieces of it depending upon your own style and personality, etc.

To others reading this, I don't mean to be mysterious or to imply that cbguy's "formula" has never been seen before and/or talked about before... BUT, what he has done is identify and put together a step by step formula that is flexible, modular and shows almost instant results. I'm not being more forthcoming about the pieces of the "formula" simply because this is his work and until/unless he decides to release it publicly I must respect his work on this...

Finally, I have gotten excellent results implementing about 60% of the "formula" and am working on other pieces to add in in the following days/weeks...

To cbguy: I'll send you a FB message within the next couple of days with specific feedback and the parts I found to be particularly impactful to my show and my hats... Thanks for sharing this with me!!!
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
TheRealMagicMike => That is AWESOME!!!

I'm really excited about this because I've been working it out in a non-tourist town - which means I deal mostly with shoppers rather than tourist. Of course, that means hats are smaller.

To hear how fantastic is is turning out by you (in a tourist town) has got me totally stoked! I'm guessing a $45 hat for 15 minute show in a non-tourist town will turn into a $75 or better hat in a tourist location. This is just a guess, but I'm gonna test it when I'm out in NOLA in early November.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you via Facebook and if I can find some time, I will type up the actual lines I use and share them with you and vis-a-versa

For the people who have been sending me private messages about this...

First of all, it is NOT for sale.

I am still refining it and TheRealMagicMike will become an integral part of this development because he is actually putting it to use and seeing the results.

With that said, these methods really are still in the early stages and can only get better.

I am willing to share this information with a few other people, BUT...there is a catch:

1- You MUST be a real busker
2- You MUST be able to prove it (video will be proof enough)
3- You are NOT allowed to share ANY of the information with anyone other than TheRealMagicMike and I
4- You have to friend me on Facebook so we can chat more about our discoveries
5- You have to be willing to not just use it, but help to make it better, too

Finally, even if you do all 5 things listed above, I still may not share it because I go with my gut, more often than not.

Peace!
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
This thread showed so much promise... (sigh).
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1489 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Does it not now
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
Cbguy I sent a PM.

Also, to get back to the original intent of this thread... Contrary to what the others have said, my biggest tips tend to come from bigger crowds. I rarely get anything above a 5 or 10 for a small, short show, and can go a whole day of shows without ever getting a 20. These are usually the shows I get change in the hat, or (occasionally) completely stiffed.

By contrast, when I do a larger, longer show, my tips are individually much larger. If I went a morning doing my bigger show and didn't get a few 20's... It was a bad morning.

Now it's possible that there are other factors at play here besides crowd size by itself:

My bigger show is longer, which can mean a stronger rapport with my starter crowd.
My finale for the bigger show is better, or I deliver it better.
I spend more time managing my audience in the bigger show (making them stand in the right place, audience callbacks, etc) which builds stronger compliance and willingness to invest emotional energy into the show, which results in a better perception of how the show was.
My bigger crowds don't usually have a larger edge, just more depth, and a denser fill. This creates an environment that is more conducive to enjoying a show. In a dense crowd, the audience energy seems to reverberate off of other members of the audience and amplify the energy, including callbacks, laughter, and other involvement.

And I'm sure there are others.

However...

When I work my smaller show and get a bigger crowd, The individual tips tend to be better for me as well. I rarely get big bills from groups of just a few people. I attribute this to a few things:

1. I feel guilty pushing the hat when it's just a few people.
2. Harder to get a small group to indulge in "mob mentality" behavior that increases their commitment to the show.
3. Fewer people means fewer people to banter with. For any given person, I've only got so much to say. When there are more people, there's more for me to say and joke around about, creating the feeling of "spontaneity" that helps personalize the show to the audience.
4. Crowd density effect still applies.
5. Personability. I'm generally introverted and anxiety-prone. This can be off-putting in front of a small group. However, I notice a personal tendency towards "reverse stage fright" where I'm more comfortable with a large group, because it feels more like I'm doing a show.

More thoughts later maybe.
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
After bouncing the ideas from my notes off of a few very well known workers, I've made the decision to do something I never thought I'd do...

I've started writing a book...when I have some free time. Maybe a little time each day to do the writing will make it happen. I have no doubt that it will be picked up by a well known publisher.

In the past, I have written articles for effects I've created in the past and they've been published in some old magic magazines and I have created an effect that was published in one of Kenton Kneppers books as well, but this is a whole new thing for me : )

I figure if I'm going to do this, it might as well be something that includes information that is really needed and can help a bunch of people make the jump to performing for a living.

Here is the "very" preliminary contents:

1. How to get booked as an entertainer at a very unique venue (not to be disclosed yet)
2. How to make a very good income as an entertainer at this unique venue or in general
3. How to get booked into as many of these undisclosed venues, as you want
4. How to get bigger hats than you’ve ever imagined possible (this is what the thread stated with)
5. How to make people like you immediately
6. How to put together an act for this specific venue
7. How to put together an act for this unique venue and get paid while working on said act
8. How to get FREE classes in improv acting (this is very important)
9. How to make a promo video that gets you shows anywhere

I know this is very generic as of right now, but I guarantee there is a lot of substance behind it.

On a bad day in the venue(s) I mention, I make $300 and on a good day $1000 + is achievable (I know this because I've done it consistently).

My plan is to put this together like nothing I've ever seen available before.

By that, I mean it will literally be a step-by-step guide.

I may even include something where I can interact and help each person individually via email, Facebook or possibly in person by having hands on lectures specifically for people who own the book.

Anyway, I will keep you informed occasionally, but understand, this is not something I'm going to be on here pimping everyday because I just don't have the time.

However, In a few months, when everything is ready to go, I will make myself available to everyone here who is in on the conversation.

Peace...
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
155 Posts

That sounds awesome.,. it is a much needed resource in the busking community... and, I'm sure the principles used to secure work in one type of venue will be able to be transferred into others as well.

Would love to see you have a companion website so that "subscribers" or book purchasers can login and see supporting video of you performing, interacting with the audience, maybe communicate with each other, etc. I think you've got a winner here... and a fun project !!!

(P.S. You've got a lot going on right now... don't overload yourself and make sure you continue to have fun)!!!
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Cbguy, I've found that writing things down, such as instructions or an initial draft for an article or book, is a very good way of clarifying your own thoughts and recording details of how to do things.
You may like to consider getting a good a video done [chapters?] at the same time as you are rehearsing the moves.

I'm a firm believer in writing down things in the order they are to happen.
For example, if the instruction is written as "Pick up the card with your left hand" then the reader has to first read that instruction and then change its order around in his mind to get the sequence rehearsed in order it has to take place. It is better as in the sequence of order, written as 'With your left hand pick up the card'.
The presentation makes the magic.
Joshua James
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 Post

Profile of Joshua James
The book sounds promising.

I just started busking literally last week and have 2 days under my belt.
Phil Ainsworth
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Phil Ainsworth
Hi all,

I'm in a similar situation to Joshua above, just started busking in the last couple of weeks (although I have a few months worth of Svengali pitching which is certainly helping).

If anyone would be kind enough to offer advice, I'll drop a short couple of videos here as I'm struggling to hat more than a few pounds each show.

CBguy, I'd be keen to join your close circle group to test your ideas if there is still room for one more?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do Your Larger Tips Come From Bigger or Smaller Crowds? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL