The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Spooky stage illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AceFace
View Profile
Veteran user
Ponta delgarda Azores
348 Posts

Profile of AceFace
Hi all
I'm looking for some help...I work at a school for performing arts and one of the course managers has asked me if I would like to help him with a show he is producing to be run at the end of November,he knows I perform close up effects and he wondered if I could help him to come up with a couple of illusions that could be worked into the show. I have no experience of stage effects so I'm looking for any help or ideas that I might be able to use. The production is about a lady who has died but is stuck in the world between the living and the dead so it's going to be a spooky mystical type of production,I know he wants the main actor to be placed into a coffin then the next moment to reappear behind the audience, but he also wants some effects that can be done by some of the other participants in the show...maybe things going on in the background or just quick effects that can be performed by the supporting cast whilst the main performers are doing their bit. I know this is very vague but I really would appreciate some help and guidance
Many thanks in advance
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22561 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tricks cost money, a lot of money, Illusions cost even more. If you do not have any experience and a vast knowledge, this is not possible to put together.

I also believe that a lot of performers all doing magic at once is a very bad idea. You have to be able to explain why that will not work. I would think a person in the performing arts, would know that. That is just like everyone singing a different song at the same time, rap, show tunes, and the latest Brittney Spears songs all at once.

If you are near London, contact the British Magic Circle magic society and seek someone's advice from them. It will take someone with magic knowledge to get the full picture and if this is even possible.

There are illusion builders in England, but illusions cost in the range of $10,000. The only coffin illusion I know of is Burned Alive.

Ready built - $6,500
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Burned-Alive-......oryId=-1

Workshop plans - download - $4.00
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Burned-Alive-......oryId=-1

The reappearance would have to be worked out by you, I don't know any information available for to do this, most illusionist work out their own way to accomplish this as the finale.
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
82 Posts

Profile of David_N
Hi Ace

Check out the 'Coffin of Cryptonia', a downloadable plan from Steve Kovarez at Magic Castle Plans. It was designed as a production but you could do it in reverse for a vanish as the principle allows this. The plans are very well illustrated and follow an actual build of the prop. A theatre carpenter could put one of these together in no time.

As for ideas for spooky effects...check out some books about Houdini when he was exposing the methods of fraudulent mediums during séances, some great stuff there.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I have seen a tip over box in a coffin shape (that looked easy to build) and at the vanish if done upstage when the coffin is tipped to show vanish that person would be free could sneak off stage through the back curtin (to do the run around into the aud.)
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
82 Posts

Profile of David_N
'Darwin's Inexpensive Illusions' has some good affordable ideas like the one Illusionman 2 suggested, ideal for a stage situation.
A. Evans
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
105 Posts

Profile of A. Evans
If you felt like building your own you can check out Haunted Illusions by Paul Osborne, the disappearing in the coffin could be done with the Burned Alive illusion in that book and maybe modify it a bit for the reappearing part.

Good Luck
-AE
"It's better to have 3 amazing tricks than 10 good ones"
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
221 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
You could also wrap the corpse in a mummy cloth and then lay in coffin or on burial slab. When unwrapped a different body is found and the original would have time to enter the rear of the theater. Details are in Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic Book which I purchased used for 9.99. You could create an "Asrah-Like" cloth and cover the body on a table and it floats/vanishes as well. Some blacklight theater effects could provide other spooky background stuff.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2016, Amazing Binky wrote:
You could also wrap the corpse in a mummy cloth and then lay in coffin or on burial slab. When unwrapped a different body is found and the original would have time to enter the rear of the theater. Details are in Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic Book which I purchased used for 9.99. You could create an "Asrah-Like" cloth and cover the body on a table and it floats/vanishes as well. Some blacklight theater effects could provide other spooky background stuff.

like Amazing Binky said--- to do the run around part you have to do a switch of the person at some point.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Mummy wrap.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
In Mark Wilson's book "Complete Course In Magic" there are lots of great illusions you can build very cheaply for example "The Haunted House" with ghost costumes.

Maybe have a look at that illusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be_6NQQyGDE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Spooky stage illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL