The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Pop Haydn's Exhibition Shell Game: a magical presentation of the 3 shell game (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Been working with the SFS Street Shells for about a week. Easier to handle than the Golden shells, but really don't work with the shot glass. Too light, so they tend to flip up in the back when the steal is made. So, I'm back to working with the Golden Shell (which are heavy, and difficult to maneuver - particularly in the v grip)...which brings me to my questions to anyone who may own both the Golden Shells and the Colorado Silver Shells:

1) Are the Silver Shells the same weight as the Golden Shells?
2) Are the Silver Shells for sale now the same shells which Pop uses? I ask because Pop's look somewhat smaller in 'height' than the ones being sold now on SFS.

Thanks>
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
It might be the glass that’s wrong, I used a bar shot glass with thick bottom and sides, no problem.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks, jakeg. Will see if I can get one that will consistently work with the Street Shells. Still curious, though, about the Silver Shells...
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Plan to see Pop at the Magic Castle this coming Sunday evening. Hopefully can check out his Colorado shells 'first hand' to see how they compare to the Goldens.
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2018, rosariorose9 wrote:

1) Are the Silver Shells the same weight as the Golden Shells?
2) Are the Silver Shells for sale now the same shells which Pop uses? I ask because Pop's look somewhat smaller in 'height' than the ones being sold now on SFS.

Thanks>

Sterling Silver is 20% heavier than Nickel Silver, 23% heavier than brass, 20% heavier than bronze, and 50% heavier than pewter .. in other words, the SFS Silver Shells will always be heavier than any other metal shell (except carat gold).

I'm pretty sure that all the SFS original shells are made from the same mold. My long time SFS Sterling Silver shells look identical to what's sold today.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thank you VERY much, Mr. Bones, for your detailed answer to my question. Both you and Whit must have fingers of steel to handle those silver shells! Smile
licker98
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of licker98
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2018, rosariorose9 wrote:
Thank you VERY much, Mr. Bones, for your detailed answer to my question. Both you and Whit must have fingers of steel to handle those silver shells! Smile

I'm not sure if this is the issue you are having, but I use the copper shells and I find that if I want to lift them, I extend my forefinger beyond the shell and then grip, so that the point presses just beneath the fleshiest part of my forefinger. Also try holding the shells as low as possible with your thumb and middle finger for the strongest grip.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks, licker98. If my hands are not too dry, I don't have a problem picking up the shells. I learned with experience to grip them in the same manner as you suggest, and 'Clip and Grip' also helps. My issue is actually with the more advanced moves - particularly the Haydn Turnover. THAT"S where I'm continuing to have problems...
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Whether you think your hands are too dry or not ... next time try some O'Keefes "Working Hands" before picking up your shells.

Believe me ... it makes ALL the difference in the world for almost everything you do with shells (and cards, and dice).
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
licker98
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of licker98
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2018, rosariorose9 wrote:
Thanks, licker98. If my hands are not too dry, I don't have a problem picking up the shells. I learned with experience to grip them in the same manner as you suggest, and 'Clip and Grip' also helps. My issue is actually with the more advanced moves - particularly the Haydn Turnover. THAT"S where I'm continuing to have problems...

Do you struggle to do the turnover part or do you lose your grip on the shell before you raise it up? Once I've gripped the shell I curl all my fingers up as if I'm making a fist and then twist the shell by raising my forefinger and gripping the side of the shell with my thumb, so that it doesn't topple over.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks Mr. Bones. Have just ordered O'Keefes. Greatly appreciate your continued input!

Licker98, my problem is with the turnover part. Will apply your suggestions when I get back to my shells. Thanks so much for your help>
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Drummers use a product called Monkey Snot to help them hol on to their sticks. Supposed to be excellent.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2018, jakeg wrote:
Drummers use a product called Monkey Snot to help them hol on to their sticks. Supposed to be excellent.

Thanks, jakeg. It's actually called Gorilla Snot. May give it a try if the suggested hand lotion doesn't work.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Went this past Sunday evening to the Magic Castle to see Whit, and was fortunate enough to get a ringside seat in the W.C. Fields bar for his show - which included, of course, the 3 shell game. He is, without question, the consummate performer, and he could not have been more gracious. Took a picture with him, his wife and my wife after the show. My wife complimented him on his skill and showmanship, and offered how important those elements are to a performance. He thanked her, but noted that the most important and difficult skill which a performer can develop is to have the audience like you.

As has been recommended a number of times by others on this forum, he suggested that I get Bob Sheets Boot Camp cd. Not sure what additional information I will learn from that, but I've gone ahead and ordered it. Am also considering taking a private lesson or two from Whit. Years ago I had the opportunity to take lessons from Slydini, and did not do so - a decision which I profoundly regret to this day. Would hate to repeat that mistake with Whit...
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Man, you haven't scheduled that lesson with Pop yet? I'd give my left nut for a lesson with Pop..........then I could only play the 2 shell game............
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Smile

Actually, I want to spend a week or so with the Boot Camp cd before I call Pop. I know that I'm going to humiliate myself, and I'd like to keep that to a minimum! Smile
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I really like the Boot Camp dvd. I think that I spent more time with it than any other magic dvd that o own, and enjoyed working with it.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks, jakeg. The dvd (don't know why I called it a cd) has received a lot of praise on this forum. Not sure how working with bottle caps will improve my 'game', but I'm willing to give it a try once it arrives.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Give it a shot and let us know how you make out.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Will be happy to do so. It should hopefully be arriving this week.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Pop Haydn's Exhibition Shell Game: a magical presentation of the 3 shell game (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL