The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn and Teller on TLC tonight » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
This might have been mentioned elsewhere or on another board, but Penn and Teller are appearing on an all new "While You Were Out" show tonight at 10 pm eastern time (but better double check that time).

The show airs on TLC. Not sure if there is really going to be any magic, but while Teller is out, Penn secretly re-designs their green room.

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone, but thought I would mention it.

Lyndsy loves to watch those home improvement type shows, so I think I'm going to sit in with her tonight to watch this one.

Take care.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Following their notorious Las Vegas schtick on the coming of Christ - NO THANKS. And I'm not even a Bible thumper - just a work in progress.

I can't believe TLC would even have anything to do with them.

The duo is a pair of wasted talent. A balding mute and a loud mouth long haired suited meatloaf who bully their way into simple or unsuspecting minds. Talk about a shot in the dark. The fat one of the two (I intentionally forget his name) is simply annoying.

They provide "entertainment" for those who question nothing, are just killing time and glad to be out of the summer heat ticket lines, and have the attention span of a hamster.

Well that's what the remote control is for I guess.

We need to get Peter Loughran his own TV show. Heard he's darn good! Smile
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
Quote:
They provide "entertainment" for those who question nothing, are just killing time and glad to be out of the summer heat ticket lines, and have the attention span of a hamster.

Actually. I take offense to that.

I saw Penn and Teller late last year, at the Rio, along with every other major magic show in 'Vegas. Some of the technical magic and entertainment in their performance was *easily * heads above anything else I saw in Vegas.

Sure, you may not agree with their spiritual beliefs, or the way they choose to present it (there were no references to religion in their live show), but that doesn't mean you can call those who see their show, time-killing non-questioners with the attention span of a hamster.

Spiritual beliefs aside. Penn and Teller are energetic, and technically brilliant entertainers. Their magic in their live show was top notch. And I've seen a LOT of magic. You only get the good stuff, when you have Johnny Thompson, Banacheck and Jamy Ian Swiss contributing to various bits the show.

Check out Teller's piece called "Shadows," their interpretation of 'Miser's Dream' and the brilliant method used in their 'Stage Bullet Catch' routine. And then tell me going to see their show is a time waster, and an excuse to get out of the Vegas sun.

-malini.
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
I notice Randy's post has been softened quite a bit from its original form.

I fully support his right to express his thoughts on P&T's performances and attitudes but, in my opinion, to blindly sling mud at those who enjoy them is simply foul play. The crack about "those who question nothing" rings particularly hollow, given P&T's work promoting critical thinking (whatever anyone may think of that).

I for one enjoy the whole P&T experience, and have an attention span considerably exceeding that of a... ooh - ice cream van coming...
Skeptic
View Profile
New user
Holland MI
46 Posts

Profile of Skeptic
Wow, bit of vitrol there Randy. I think that P&T are not everyone's cup of tea but....

I have followed them for quite a while and really enjoy what they do. I think they are great. Of course I happen to agree with their views on religion so that helps but their talent transcends their nonreligious outlook. They are doing some of the most interesting magic out there. They use magic as means to think about the world around us. You may not agree with it but at least they are using the art to make social commentary.

Considering all of the gospel magicians out there I think they are a breath of fresh air. It takes all sorts to make the world go round.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2004-03-23 09:39, Skeptic wrote:
Wow, bit of vitrol there Randy. Of course I happen to agree with their views on religion so that helps but their talent transcends their nonreligious outlook.

The nonreligious outlook doesn't bother me as long as you keep it at home and off the Vegas stage (unless I pay you to commit the act)! They shocked the audience with their atheist position. Wow, how magical is that. Expounding on something they don't even believe in....

Their visual display of the coming of Christ shtick was...well I have no words and consequently bottomed out on interest for anything they produce as a team - it sickened me that well. Audience members were there for magical entertainment but were instead (depending on belief system) assualted. I know part of the audience walked out. Is this how the "GREATS" did it?

ATTACKING JESUS...WHAT'S HE GOT TO DO WITH IT? And why perform it in that manner within that forum? Why waste time on the "non existent" as far as they are concerned.

I suppose they could be brilliant performers as a couple of members have stated here. I'm a great fan of some of the most controversial personalities. I even like Alice Cooper, some members of the Café, and a lunatic I drink beer with at my local bar, but none go so far as this duo with the coming of Christ assault - NOT ONE.

Yeah P&T make me think all right. While others just follow along without a thought or complaint (memo) to self.

As an imperfect and hopeful creature, I'm obviously hurt a bit more by the issue than others.

We can't all report the same story having seen it at the same time. Let's give it a rest for those of us who truly believe in something - WHATEVER THAT MAY BE.

Enough is enough....
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Wow! What did P and T do?

I am a gospel magician, but I missed the controversy.

Skeptic, I am assuming you meant they are a balance to the gospel magicians, and that wasn't a put down on us, right?

Anyway, to the original question, I saw the episode and it seemed a bit staged, even to having Teller not speak.

I mean, is he really mute (I know he isn't) off stage too?

Nice design tho.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Wasn't there a congressional separation of church and card tricks? I believe in leaving religion out of everything but religion. Except movies, Jesus is big money!

Nathan Pain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn and Teller on TLC tonight » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL