The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Icebreakers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1627 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Well, we have good news. The new "Icebreakers" package is now scheduled for release next month and is now available for preorder at Stephen Young's Thought Illusions website. I think that the method is similar to Stephen's marvelous Visionary 2.0 deck, but is especially useful for featuring very early in a parlor performance. It looks like it can involve the spectators in a truth/lie detection experience, and will open doors to possible readings. Check it out at http://thoughtillusions.com/icebreaker.html

In case anyone wonders, Stephen and I have never met (except through email exchanges), and I paid full price when I recently preordered Icebreakers. I really like Visionary and a couple of Stephen's other releases, and thought the community would like to know that Icebreakers will soon be available.

George
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2218 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Thanks George for alerting us to this new release.

I have just put my order in. I can see this type of effect giving rise to a lot of fun as well as a good way to engage with spectators and your audience. I think Steve has a winner here.

Also, as I have found with Steve's Trinity and Visionary sets, the cards can be used in all sorts of way and are nicely different from the norm.

Very much looking forward to these.

Neil
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1627 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Hi Neil:

One of the places that I regularly perform is a rehabilitation hospital. The patients are rehabbing from (say) knee surgery or an auth accident.

When they gather for a performance, they may know each others names but usually do not know each other at all. I think that Icebreakers can help them meet and enjoy each other and experience some community. I am thinking about using it early, like as a second effect, in that setting.

George
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2218 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Hi George,

I can see that sort of effect would be a great 'Ice breaker,' and which this new effect will certainly be.

I currently use Visionary 2 as a two stage routine. One spectator takes a card and, while I am not looking, holds it up for the whole audience to see. This way, all get involved and participate. Thanks to the superb design of the Visionary 2 cards, it is very easy for me to know which card has been chosen and even without having to put my glasses on Smile

And the second stage is a spectator choosing one of the cards and proceeding as per the Visionary routine. I have used this as a closer quite a few times.

Also, I see the release date for Ice breaker has been moved forward which is pleasing news.

Neil
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1627 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
An early release is a remarkable event! Many products finally come out long after they were first projected for release. Some never come out!

George
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
I saw Francis perform this at the Open night at Murray's Minds a few months ago. I was familiar with both Stephen's Visionary 1 and 2 principles but I didn't clock the work on the card. The cards were well designed, good quality, and perfectly mirrored items I have seen used on corporate team building days. The effect played out well and engaged the audience in playing along to see if they could guess the truth & lies. It would work nicely for anyone looking for a 'plausible skill' to kick off their set.

I found Francis to be a thoroughly nice and thoughtful chap that we are sure to see more from in the future. And Stephen is not bad either Smile
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
A little confused.
On the site he offers an additional set of cards (in a different color) to give you 88 different cards.
What's the purpose of the extra cards? Are there routines in the instructions that require an extra set of cards?

Woodfield
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1611 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2016, Woodfield wrote:
A little confused.
On the site he offers an additional set of cards (in a different color) to give you 88 different cards.
What's the purpose of the extra cards? Are there routines in the instructions that require an extra set of cards?

Woodfield

Not exactly

The colours are to make sure if you decide to order an extra 44 cards - you don't get the same 44 again

It says it's to give more choices or if you want to use more specs at once [44 cards it says is good up to 4 people in one go]

Though I have a question - isn't it obvious which are lies [?]

If lies are from the long list on the backs of the cards - and truths from the front [one on each of the 44/88 cards]

It would seem quite easy to tell which was which by very simple methods in how they are scripted

In fact even if that isn't the method - I would be thinking it was to the detriment of any enjoyment of the effect
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
192 Posts

Profile of Wardy
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2016, The Duster wrote:

Though I have a question - isn't it obvious which are lies [?]

If lies are from the long list on the backs of the cards - and truths from the front [one on each of the 44/88 cards]

It would seem quite easy to tell which was which by very simple methods in how they are scripted

In fact even if that isn't the method - I would be thinking it was to the detriment of any enjoyment of the effect

Hi The Duster, do you have any of Steve's other products? The images on the site don't give away the method employed, I can assure you that it's a lot more diabolical than your mind or a spectator's can conceive. I just ordered the jumbo set, I'll let you know how good they are when they arrive.

Cheers, Wardy
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6922 Posts

Profile of bowers
Received this the other day.
A very good thought out effect.
Everything I have bought from Steve
has been a top notch product.
Todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Icebreakers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL