The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Banquet Magician`s Handbook by David Charvet... A MUST HAVE! (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
montgomerymagic
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of montgomerymagic
GREAT Book to have in your arsenal. On SALE!

Banquet Magician`s Handbook by David Charvet

Banquet or "after dinner" shows offer one of the most lucrative fields to the working magician In every town or city, every day, banquets are held where entertainment is needed In this book, David Charvet and a panel of experts share the real secrets of how to succeed in this market.

**You Will Learn...**

•Contracts
•Choosing tricks & routines
•Before you arrive
•Pre-contract questions
•Follow-up & repeat bookings
•Audience anticipation
•Advertising and booking
•Using agents
•What clients look for in an act
•Illusions for banquets
•The show site
•At the show
•Theming effects
•Lighting & sound
•Types of banquets and which ones use entertainment
•AND MORE!

On Sale $3.99
Regularly $19.95

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......=#BB4989
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I found the book very elementary to actually performing or getting booking for Banquets. Nothing on prospecting at all.

If you have studied or did any selling at all, then what is covered in this booklet, you already know. It is very out of date for todays internet capabilities.

If you know nothing about building a show, or performing for such an event, then of course the book will enlighten you on the basics.

Agents, there is no such thing as agents anymore, and if their are, they are only in huge metropolitan cities.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree, nothing great or new here, mostly very elementary things you likely already know, hence the price. Very limiting info and perspectives. I think you would gain more just form hanging around and participating here. Also a bit outdated.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seems overpriced at $3.99.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
First off I would like to welcome newcomer montgomerymagic, thanks for posting. It is a shame that we are so bashing rather than welcoming of our newcomers, especially when an on topic and valuable post is made.

Thank you for posting about this book, I have a copy and have been wanting to read it so it is good to know you found value in it. It never hurts to review the basics and you never know when you might learn something new.

Thanks again for stepping up and making a post.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Not a single person here "bashed" or said a single thing about montgomerymagic. Comments were made on the product, not the person. Not sure where you are twisting this from.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2016, Tim Friday wrote:
First off I would like to welcome newcomer montgomerymagic, thanks for posting. It is a shame that we are so bashing rather than welcoming of our newcomers, especially when an on topic and valuable post is made.

Thank you for posting about this book, I have a copy and have been wanting to read it so it is good to know you found value in it. It never hurts to review the basics and you never know when you might learn something new.

Did I miss the announcement of your promotion to hall monitor?

How about you try to make just one post without being critical of other members?

Your CONSTANT nagging really makes it tough to take you seriously in the least.

Wiry about how you post and let others do the same.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
The book was written in 1996. Unless it has been updated, it probably should not be sold as anything other than a piece of magic history.
montgomerymagic
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Quote:

Thank you for your kind words. I bought this book years ago and it has great insight from some of the greatest working pro's in the biz.

Did I tell you I'm a big fan of Plato as well. Talk about insight.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.
Plato
montgomerymagic
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

For those that would like a better idea of what this book is about and its useful content here it is. Although there are a few "out dated" things in this book over all it has some great information.

Acknowledgements .......................................................5
Introduction ...................................................................7
PART ONE
Types of Banquets...................................................... 9
The Act .....................................................................13
. Illusions On The Banquet Platform..........................17
Sound and Lighting ................................................. 21
The Zaney Lights-Walter "Zaney" Blaney............29
Getting The Job............................; ......................... 33
The Performance..................................................... 39
Repeat Bookings .........................................................51

PART TWO-Words From The Wise
An Agent Speaks -Becky Stroebel ........................ 55
You'll Never See Your Name Up
In Lights, But ...-George Johnstone ..........................69
Club Date Biz -Stan Kramien................................. 81
Banquets and Bucks -Dick Newton...................... 87
"Bread and Butter" Banquets -Walter Blaney ..........95
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Is this your book?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
When the book first came out, and I read it, I was fascinated with the idea of the Zaney lights.

However, nowadays that would be replaced by using LED lights. For example, something like this. (Here's a link to a bundle of 4.) Because they are rechargeable, you don't even have to plug them in at the venue. No cords to trip over. No heat from the bulbs. More compact than the old way.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2016, montgomerymagic wrote:
Quote:

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.
Plato

Which one do you think you were with this topic?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
montgomerymagic
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Thanks for sharing Donald. I always appreciate and enjoy a constructive discussion.
Technology has come a long way and LED's are awesome. I was so intrigued with Walter's light system I built a set years ago and I have to say they not only did their job when I needed a little more light but they were easy to setup and pack up after each show. (I attached a picture of the set I built years ago.)

Click here to view attached image.
montgomerymagic
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 20, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Plato

Thank you for proving Plato's point. Smile
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I viewed the initial responses as dismissive and disrespectful to what could have been a productive discussion, as well as unwelcoming to a newcomer. When there is potential for a good discussion but it gets shut down because of cyberbullying I am not going to stand by and do nothing.

I am glad that things are getting back on track and a better discussion is taking place.

Some of the responses have been "this book is outdated and elementary" or something to that effect. However many books that have been out for several years have solid principles. It is not the age of the book but the principles that are taught, and sometimes the simplest principles are the very things we need to be reminded of. Furthermore many people reading this thread might be at the level where this book would be just what they need, yet now they may never look at it because it was shot down so quickly.

Take "The 7 Habits" by Stephen Covey. When you read the principles in that book you more than likely say "that's common sense." But then why is it so few people do them? It is important to reminded of the basics.
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Well, for $3.99 if there's even ONE idea in the book that teaches you something, I would say that's worth the price... Except the time you take to read a book that is maybe largely irrelevant to today's market... So actually I'm not sure!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Plato

Why does a question that requires introspection cause you to hurl insults? Isn't that what Plato was cautioning against?

Not so easy to live up to an arrogant position is it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
montgomerymagic
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Plato

Why does a question that requires introspection cause you to hurl insults? Isn't that what Plato was cautioning against?

Not so easy to live up to an arrogant position is it?

Why would I be trying to be insulting towards anyone? I was speaking of the Wise Men that contributed to this book. Sorry if you have mistaken ("Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something." Plato) this as an insult towards you. Smile My apologies!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think you know that "thank you for proving Plato's point was an insult. That was the answer to the question that required introspection. But you knew that. You do not wear feigned ignorance well.

Passive aggressive insults seem intelligent. But they are really not.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Banquet Magician`s Handbook by David Charvet... A MUST HAVE! (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL