The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Compensation To Client To Video Performance (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I've never videoed my shows, but as this seems to be necessary these days for promos, etc. I am looking into it. But for private parties it seems a bit intrusive to me. My question is, do any of you offer compensation for the right to record a client's event? I am not asking info on model releases, etc. simply if you offer some form of compensation (discount on current/future engagement,) etc.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I specifically have set up performances with the intention of recording them. As in, it's in the flyers and event page.

Suggestion: Have little stickers at the door. If someone does not want to be filmed, they put a red sticker on their shirt. If they are OK with it in general, they put a green sticker on their shirt. If they want to be asked about filming, yellow sticker.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Stempleton, you are thinking in the reverse. As far as children entertainment, the new way to increase fees is to offer a package, as part of that package, they get a 10 minute or so video of their party, with the birthday child as center of attention.

I find your statement, that this is "a bit intrusive" questionable. Private to me, means that anyone is not invited to their party, they have a guest list. I don't see private meaning "secret".
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
WitchDocChris, that's an idea. Thanks.

Bill, I often think in reverse, finding the appropriate antecedent to what I wish to occur. Hmmm...I'll bet a lot of people do that here Smile

Seriously, I never used the word "secret" in conjunction with my phrase, "a bit intrusive." What I meant was, people will allow an entertainer into their homes, let you interact with their kids, even serve you a drink... but you're recording? This is my home! I'm not at this point interested in adding a recording as part of a package. I'm simply gathering footage for promos/marketing. I suppose it is given that recording a performance is to be prearranged with the client. I was simply asking if this is common, or if it is a situation that calls for some additional consideration on the part of the performer for the client. But perhaps a copy of the recording might be appropriate.

Thanks both for the feedback.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
I frequently record shows and offer a copy of the video to the client, the only times there has been an objection to video were for non-private parties, I.e., performances in public settings. Home parties always allow and are thrilled to get a copy of the video. - basically what Bill said.

Hudson
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I did a birthday party once, the husband video taped my entire show. He never asked me if it was okay for him to do so. I would have charged more, if I had known.

I don't believe there needs to be any compensation on your part. If you are that concerned, just ask or put in your contact agreement, if you provide one.

I don't think it is a big deal. Usually wife's clean their homes when people come over, there is nothing that should be offensive if you explain you will be making a video of your show, and the kids enjoying themselves.

Just don't video the safe in the wall behind the large picture, or do a walk through filming their whole house, like you are casing the joint. Just kidding here.

If you are that concerned, then just don't do it. Throw a party in your house and video it with the neighbor kids.

Just make sure it a professional shoot, hire a video person who is experienced shooting indoor video.

Make a plan of what you want on the video, and go over it with the video person.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Compensation To Client To Video Performance (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL