The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » School mentalism show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
Hi,

In a couple of weeks I plan on performing a show for my school. I would like it to simply be an entertaining experience for everyone. However, I can't help my overbearing sense of nervousness. I will be performing in front of people I know WELL! Could you please suggest ideas for me to approach this show? Thank you.

From,
Cornelius.
matthu
View Profile
Regular user
UK
170 Posts

Profile of matthu
How about telling us a little bit more about your show:
How big is the audience likely to be?
What age range will the audience be?
Will staff be there as well?
Will parents be there?
Is it a one-man show, or are you one act of many?
What is your reputation prior to the show?
Will you have any accomplices on stage? in the audience?
How long will your performance need to be?

(Perhaps this information will stimulate more people to respond.)

Best wishes

Matthew
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Also, what is your relationship to the audience who will be attending? (Are you a student peforming for other students? A teacher performing for students?)

Jack Shalom
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3444 Posts

Profile of Looch
I'm a school teacher, and have, at times, performed for pupils. Not in a show sense, but more of impromptu demonstrations, over the past year I have performed things such as bending marked coins, rubbing my finger prints into coins, PK Time, and Touches, rapid calculation and photo reading, dictionary tests, drawing dupes etc. There's a sense of mystery around me as a teacher that I like.
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
Quote:
On 2004-03-22 17:56, matthu wrote:
How about telling us a little bit more about your show:
How big is the audience likely to be?
What age range will the audience be?
Will staff be there as well?
Will parents be there?
Is it a one-man show, or are you one act of many?
What is your reputation prior to the show?
Will you have any accomplices on stage? in the audience?
How long will your performance need to be?

(Perhaps this information will stimulate more people to respond.)

Best wishes

Matthew

I will glady supply this information. The audience is to be teenagers from 14-19 years of age and the size will be about 50-60. About 3 teachers will be present and only about one or two parents should be present. I will be presenting a one-man show, as always. My reputation prior to the show is alright... I have performed for the local rotary club and trade show. I don't plan on having any accomplices whatsoever. My performance will need to be from 10-15 minutes.
Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Ah yes... and I am a Grade 11 student. I am a student performing for students. Thank you.
matthu
View Profile
Regular user
UK
170 Posts

Profile of matthu
Cornelius

I think your biggest problem is going to be limiting yourself to only 10-15 minutes. During that time you will need to win the co-operation of the audience (so they feel they are helping you to accomplish your effects, rather than your managing to accomplish miracles in the face of their sceptism). You will also need one strong reputation builder that people will talk about for a long time thereafter.

Naturally during your demonstration you will disavow any understanding of what is going on, maintaining that you are the very last person to lay claim to any extrasensory powers! (You will often find that the more you disclaim any powers, the more willing people will be to attribute those powers to you!)

When I was just a year or two older than you, I found myself demonstrating mind bending powers to a roomful of psychologists, scientists and journalists. How did this come about?

Well, I’d been careless enough to send an accurate prediction of the outcome of a rugby match (between Western Province and the World XV in 1977) to a national newspaper. The prediction was dated and signed in the presence of a commissioner of oaths, and the envelope was also franked the day before the outcome of the match. Yet the prediction was accurate in every respect. You could do something similar, but send the letter to a schoolteacher and ask him to bring it unopened to the meeting.

As an alternative to using ordinary playing cards, you can get playing cards that depict well-known people or famous works of art. If you can force one of those, you can get the whole audience to concentrate on e.g. a famous politician. Meanwhile, if you can also force a phone number, you get one of the adults with a mobile phone to telephone an accomplice of yours who will be told he is taking part in some scientific experiment. He will be asked to think of a famous politician. He thinks of the same person!

The Burmese bells ($40 from Viking) is a good effect where you can get the whole audience to concentrate on one of several bells hanging from a bar. That bell starts swinging while the rest remain still. The good thing about this effect is that the whole audience feel they have contributed to the successful outcome.

Another good effect that worked for me was the one where a member of the audience tells the performer where to cut a newspaper article. The audience member picks up the piece of newspaper that falls to the floor and reads the top line of text. You prove that you were able to influence where the cut would be made. This effect has been around for a very long time, but I think it is currently marketed as “Snipper”.

I hope I have given you some ideas – PM me if you need to.

Regards

Matthew
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1348 Posts

Profile of Colin
I found the best way to do this, totally by accident, ahem... was to totally fail on the first thing.

The audience totally came around to my side, and sat up because they realized these weren't just tricks.

If you can pull this off convincingly, or do something with a very small chance of working, they should sit up and think to themselves 'what's going on?' and from there on you can maybe do two more things, both sure fire, but really make the second thing look like it has worked...JUST!

Obviously I can't recommend the effects you do as I have no idea what type of personality you have.

PM me if you want some advice on what I would do, and maybe you could compare it to what your comfortable with performing?

C.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » School mentalism show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL