The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » References (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I have had a community centre ask for "as many references as can be provided" and want to know if I am willing to go through a criminal records check.

For one show?

I am a bit insulted. What would you folks do?
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Neale -

Here in BC, the customer has to pay to do a criminal record check on you. Do not pay for it yourself, if they require it as a condition of hiring you.

If a festival, for example, requires one, they have to pay the police the fee to do the search. This is, of course, if you do not have a copy of your own on file (I do, because I also worked in the child care profession.) Sometimes they are required to do this at schools, daycares, festivals, as a condition of their insurance, or for business policy reasons, etc. Basically anywhere you might come into contact with children might ask this of you.

As to references, are they looking for samples of reference letters (which should be no problem... because you have been performing for a long time, you should have plenty of those) or character references (as though you were applying for a job, and they want the sort of thing a regular resume offers?)

Have you clarified why they require this information? Just tell them you have never been asked this before, and are curious.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
They want references from other community groups I have worked for so they can be sure there were no problems (their words).

I have tried to ask why the precautions, but the actual booker is using a student as a go-between to get the information.

I have been working with kids a long time, and do have references, but I still resent the attitude with which it is being asked.

I am doing a show, not working in a daycare, as your example. Then I would understand it.
Burnaby BC
www.baconandfriends.com
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
I've got a school district locally that hires me for various projects... after prom parties, elementary shows, etc. They use me so much they send me a tax form at the end of the year.

But getting in there was tough. The Superintendent requested letters of recommendation, did a background check, etc. He told me at the beginning of this year that the reason he checked me out so thoroughly is because he'd been burned so many times in the past by other magicians and entertainers. He just wanted to make sure he wasn't wasting his money or time.

-Jon
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Neale -

Perhaps you misunderstood me. Although I have a background in child care (afterschool care, not daycare), this does not mean that my regular magic show customers have not asked me for a criminal record check. They have, expecially children's festivals and some schools. I'm perfectly OK with them asking. It says to me that they care about their children... I can't fault them for that!

It's also OK with me to be asked because I am a professional businessman, and will do everything I can to put my customer's mind at ease. I also charge a professional fee, so it is worth the bother to me to do this.

If you haven't negotiated a fee yet, you can charge more for your extra effort and bother (just don't tell the customer your reason). Another idea. Some performers I have heard of give a discount the less delay there is in making a decision. ie. "Book today, and I'll give $50 off." This is your choice.

Perhaps their REAL concern is about the cost, and they are seeking more information to "justify" spending the extra money. By asking for more information, they are giving you a "buying signal." Put a positive spin on their concern.

If you want, you can ask what specific assurance they want, so you can be sure to supply the correct reference letters. (What does the contact person specifically mean by "no problems"?) Tell them you have dozens of letters, and only want to send the most relevant ones (if this is true). Perhaps they actually need to speak with a current / past customer or client of yours, rather than read a letter.

Yes, it is a pain to deal with a go-between that can't answer your questions. Talking directly with the decision maker (DM) is best, but not always possible. If the go-between is a student, and frustrated at the lack of training they possess to do the job, they may have "an attitude" (as you say).

Its really your choice what to do. Make the customer happy by giving them what they have asked for (and perhaps get the show, or perhaps not). Or simply move on. Your choice.

Perhaps a promo video may also be of assistance in their decision making, as well as those other items. If it were me, I would make an effort to over-deliver on evidence as to why they should book me, and remove all their worries and concerns.

- Donald.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Neale,

Don't take it personally. They are just trying to protect themselves from criticism for hiring an objectionable act and/or possible legal consequences from hiring a convicted criminal.

Here in New York State, if you work more than five consecutive days in a school with direct contact with children, you must undergo a background/fingerprint check. They are just trying to protect children from potential sexual predators.

Sure, it is a pain in the butt. Just don't take it personally. It's just one of the steps you must be willing to take if you want to work in a particualr market. As Donald said, it's your choice.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
In order to advertise in a local newsletter for the community of Indian Hill (a suburb of Cincinnati) I had to have the police run a check on me and my partner. Then when they noticed we were children's entertainers they called us and had us fingerprinted and run through a more serious check.

Fine, they paid for it and were protecting their children. I have been advertising in the newsletter for over a year now and have got zero results.

BTW Indian Hill is the community that Carl Lindner (Owner of the Cinncinnat Reds) and Marge Schott (Former owner of Reds) and that class of people live in. They take no chances with the young ones and I can't complain if they ask me for a background check.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Quote:
... Marge Schott (Former owner of Reds) and that class of people live in.
Hmm, I wonder if the words, "Marge Schott", and "class" have ever appeared in the same sentence before... Smile Sorry Marge,... R.I.P.

As stated above, Neale, the check is 'routine', so nothing to take personally. While it does not guarantee security, they have to at least make the effort. It is better than the alternative, and they only get one chance to get it right.

As for the references, I'd find out what is enough by their standards. This too is nothing to take personally; I know that I have followed some pretty odd performers from years gone by, with stories about the previous show that just make no sense. The only way I've gotten in with some of these bookers was to be known by them first; so just wanting references is a step lower on the threshold to have you in. Based on some of the horror stories I've heard, they are justified in covering their derrieres as best as they can.

JM Smile Smile
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Neale, I agree, don't take it personally. Also, you must decide for you if it is worth your time and investment to do this for your show. However, consider this: once you have gone through it you can have it on file and won't have to go through it again for at least a year. Also, you can use it in marketing yourself to organizations. If you initiate that you have this then they may look no futher for other entertainers because you must be the right fit for them!
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Well, I guess it was worth the hassle because I got the gig finally.
Burnaby BC
www.baconandfriends.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
WooHoo! Way to go, for stepping out of your comfort zone, meeting their qualifications, and getting the show! Well done!

- Donald.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » References (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL