The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello - Pins and Needles: A Close-Up Russian Roulette (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hello everyone,

Today, I'm offering a new manuscript, titled Pins and Needles, featuring my close-up Russian Roulette effect.

Effect:

The performer expertly juggles two sponge balls, absurdly claiming this to be one of the most dangerous feats of juggling in the world. Stopping abruptly, he asks a spectator to point to either sponge, and then squishes that sponge in a tight fist. This juggling process is repeated, as the performer boasts the high level of danger. On the last round, the performer once more squishes the chosen sponge, and immediately hands it out. The danger is then shockingly revealed, as needle after needle is removed from the unchosen sponge.

-No switches or sleight of hand involved

-No forcing of any kind

-No magnets or gimmicks

-Everything is examinable

-Perfect for walk-around

-100% safe!

If interested in purchasing Pins and Needles, please send $9.99 to mattmello88@gmail.com through PayPal.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask here, or through PM, if containing possible spoiler information.

Have a good one, guys!

Matt Mello
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Matt is one of my favorite creators. He creates visually interesting pieces of Mentalism which is so important to have to break up the constant stream of mind reading.

This is another example of Matt's genius. When I saw the secret, I couldn't help but smile at the creativity and ingenuity. This plays exactly as Matt says above. It's as fair as fair can be with no equivoque and no other force of any kind. They genuinely point to the sponge they want, and yet, they get it right every single time.

This is very lateral thinking on Matts part which is one reason why the stuff he comes up with is so unique. It also packs small and plays big. This could play great table hopping as table side entertainment, or this could fill a stage in front of 500 people easily.

Very creative, very imaginative, very impressive, very easy to do, and most importantly, very safe if you do it exactly as Matt says.

Another great release. Don't hesitate to buy this one. As a matter of fact... don't hesitate to buy anything Matt puts out!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
This is not my cup-of-tea, however, kudos to Matt for selling this at a very reasonable price.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks for the review, Madison! I'm happy that you enjoyed it!

No worries, Pegasus! I can understand that this type of demonstration won't be for everyone. I just want to clarify for purchasers that pegasus doesn't own this, and is only stating his opinion based on my description. And thanks for the kudos! I always try to price things fairly.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Yes, that is correct, sorry for any confusion. I'm going solely on Madison's review.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá

http://pinsneedlesmentalism.blogspot.cl/
I love Matt´s thinking and he is now one of the creative authors of "Mentalism Center".
He is creative in approach and offers the community simple solutions and interesting visuals. His new release "Pins and Needles" is no exception.
A fun, easy method and most important, safe.

A true bargain.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
bobgill
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of bobgill
I bought this today, so have not had a chance to perform it. But I will: I like it a lot.

The reason I was attracted to the effect:
- I have been an admirer (and user) of Matt's work in the past,
- I liked the idea of presenting this effect. I thought it intriguing and powerful.

If you do too, you will already have a few methods in mind, particularly if you are well-read. Matt references Luke Jermay, Jon Allen and Scott Alexander, but these are for the Russian Roulette premise rather than relating to this particular effect or method.

The method completely fooled me: I would not have come up with it in a hundred years. It is devilish in its ingenuity. It is also very straight-forward in execution.

Is it safe? Pretty much, although as is the case in (almost) any RR effect, I guess there is an outside chance you'd get things out of line. But the worst that would happen in this effect is a sore hand from a few pinpricks: it's hardly a razor-sharp Bowie knife or broken bottle.

In just a handful of pages in this download Matt explains everything fully, with illustrations, and gives plenty of afterthoughts and additional comments. He actually describes two routines: one the 'Pin Cushion' effect described above, the other using the same methodology to produce a rather different effect.

It struck me that you are not restricted to two sponge balls: you could use three, which might link it to other ball routines in your repertoire, and make it play slightly bigger for stand up. That said, for me this is at its best as a close up effect; for platform or parlour I think the implement of danger needs to be seen for theatrical impact. You can play this for fun, or for a darker impact.

At the asking price it is a steal if you go on to perform it. I can see why Matt has released it separately; if this was part of a collection of material, its impact would be lost and it would end up being overlooked. Which would be a shame.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I read the effect and thought how would I do it.
I bought the effect, and it is how I thought I would do it.

Will I use it? Probably not. Do I feel hard done by? Not really (on the fence though). For this type of routine I want it to be cleaner.

One effect I don't see credited (and that's ok) is Colin McCleod's (or Cloud, or Cleod, or McCloud - not sure what day it is) routine with the bags. (It's in the Penguin Lecture, and Divine I think) It's much, much better, similar idea, bigger impact.

I like Matt's other effects but this one doesn't do it for me at the minute.

If you think you'll like it, $10 is worth a punt sometimes. Would probably prefer I had $10 now I'm thinking about it.
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2016, Olympic Adam wrote:
I read the effect and thought how would I do it.
I bought the effect, and it is how I thought I would do it.

Will I use it? Probably not. Do I feel hard done by? Not really (on the fence though). For this type of routine I want it to be cleaner.

One effect I don't see credited (and that's ok) is Colin McCleod's (or Cloud, or Cleod, or McCloud - not sure what day it is) routine with the bags. (It's in the Penguin Lecture, and Divine I think) It's much, much better, similar idea, bigger impact.

I like Matt's other effects but this one doesn't do it for me at the minute.

If you think you'll like it, $10 is worth a punt sometimes. Would probably prefer I had $10 now I'm thinking about it.

Wow this seems like a very brutal review just because you "propbably" won't use it.

As for Colin's effect, it is vastly different from this one. Two totally different effects. The only thing they have in common is that they are a roulette. I prefer Matt's because I fee Colin's routine is a "one second" routine. One choice of two just isn't that impressive to layman no matter what the stakes. Matts is different because they choose multiple times which is why it transcends from 50/50 to impossible.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks for your review, Bob! I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and will use it! It's really a very entertaining routine.

And I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way, Adam. Just to clarify on the credits, I cited Luke Jermay's "A Dangerous Opener" because it was a 50/50 Russian roulette, with the element of danger being revealed as a surprise. That was released in 2004, almost a decade before Colin's routine.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Sponge balls and mentalism should never be in the same sentence
There is no holy grail!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
The "effect" is the performer avoids a hidden danger. That's the same as any Roulette/Smash & Stab. What's unique here is the method and presentation. Props to Matt for that.

SolidSnake - Why? This routine gives a presentation in which the objects used are incidental. Mind reading, influence, etc.

I did guess the method before purchasing it. I still purchased it because I didn't come up with the idea, but upon reading the PDF I realized I had it nailed already. I will say this is unusual - Usually Matt comes up with a method I wouldn't have even considered.

I do like the extra presentation given as well. It definitely suits my style. I will give this one a go, I think it will be a nice addition to my walk around or parlor sets.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Anything can be made to feel organic within a set, SolidSnake. This is an entertaining piece of mentalism, and the audience actually takes it very seriously at the end.

I sense you have a narrower view of what mentalism is, and sorry to be harsh, but likely perform a show that's not very original. You want to see some "mentalism" over the internet? I'm getting the impression that your show consists of duplicating a drawing a person has made. You have people add meaningless numbers on a pad of paper to show how you've predicted them in advance. I'm sensing a book...and some sort of test involved?

But if I present a Russian roulette with sponges, not with bags or cups (which somehow make "logical" sense) suddenly it's not mentalism?
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2016, matthewmello wrote:
Just to clarify on the credits, I cited Luke Jermay's "A Dangerous Opener" because it was a 50/50 Russian roulette, with the element of danger being revealed as a surprise. That was released in 2004, almost a decade before Colin's routine.

Oh I know, just worth mentioning the other option out there. I prefer (and have performed) Colin's to Luke's in that instance.
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2016, SolidSnake wrote:

Never say never....

Without innovation, we'd still be using bear skins and stone knives to do billets.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Matt,
I haven't seen this yet, but I am loving the concept! For the longest time, I have been reluctant to do sponge balls just because it just seemed to lack something for me. This just might kick it up a notch for me.
Thanks, man!
KJ
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2016, Dr Spektor wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2016, SolidSnake wrote:

Never say never....

Without innovation, we'd still be using bear skins and stone knives to do billets.

Yeah. Colin Mcleoud had an idea with a certain gimmick and a spongeball for a "find it in the audience" routine. Never say never is true.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Personally I think Mello's got a great idea here. And if you actually purchased it, I think you'd see it's firmly in the realm of mentalism particularly with the alternative presentation he gives which has a hypnotic flare.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1143 Posts

Profile of KiKi
I also bought the ebook. I didn´t know what to expect! The idea is great and absolutely clean because there is no equivoque or force of any kind!
I like this!!! If I had the choice of using a 50:50 RR type routine in a performance, I would probably go for this one.

kiki
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Although simple; I think this is really very clever. I think some people will look at the method and turn their nose up at it's simplicity but I think it will work just fine and will definitely be trying this out.

It's very much a mentalism effect despite using a 2 sponge balls.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello - Pins and Needles: A Close-Up Russian Roulette (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL