The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memory system (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1459 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Hello all. I was thinking that I wanted to enhance my memory and I wasn't sure where to ask so I thought I would try here. What is a good memory system to learn. I want to be able to meet large amounts of people or perform the 100 items called out feat. What system and book would you recomend
B_man2012
View Profile
New user
Republic of Croatia
100 Posts

Profile of B_man2012
Hi, I've been fascinated with memory for the last few years, so I might be able to help.

Harry Lorayne is the authority on the field, he's known as the world's foremost memory expert and has written countless books on the subject.

I recommend you start with obe of his books. "How to develop a super power memory" is the book I started with, and it will teach you everything you want and beyond.

The main point is, you have to try and use the systems. Trust me, I first read the book cover to cover and it won't make you a memory expert. I recommend you go by each chapter and do what's written in the book. The beauty of the systems is that they will work instantly, as soon as you try them, and by practising you'll just be getting faster.

So my definite tip for you is Harry Lorayne. After you've gone through his book(s), I'd recommend Dominic O'Brien's books, he's 8 times world memory champion and has some good books, but they are more completion oriented and definitely IMHO should be read after Lorayne.

An interesting reading is Joshua Foer's "Moonwalking with Einstein" - it is more about the history of the systems and the path of becoming a memory champion then it is teaching valuable, but it is fun to read and it will teach you about the background of the systems.

http://artofmemory.com is a great forum dedicated to memorization - highly recommend it.

And that's it. Go and try the systems! If you have any questions I can answer, feel free to ask here or PM me Smile
~ The Croatian Mentalist ~

>PM me if you need help with anything graphic design related!
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1428 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Your choice of memory system should depend on how you think. I think in words (grammatical sentences!) and I find it hard to visualise, so I can't use Dominic O'Brien's system or "memory palaces", which depend strongly on visualisation. I personally like SKIPNUM, which is a phonetically-based peg system from the first edition of "Speed Memory" by Tony Buzan, but you may have difficulty in finding a copy. Harry Lorayne's peg system is a good compromise between the two and is theoretically unlimited.

Barry
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9855 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
100 items? You better be a heck of a performer to make it interesting, engaging and entertaining for that many. More is not always better. You can be just as impressive with 20 items as you can with more. It's not the number, it's how entertaining the presentation is.
Stevious
View Profile
New user
Poland
80 Posts

Profile of Stevious
I recommend Dominic O'Brien's books, he is a mnemonist who wrote many memory-related books, also 8 times world memory champion. Once you know the method, the most important thing is practice, not reading another books without excercises from the first one.

True, 100 items definitely proves that you have powerful memory, but for an audience 20-30 items is sufficient
B_man2012
View Profile
New user
Republic of Croatia
100 Posts

Profile of B_man2012
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
100 items? You better be a heck of a performer to make it interesting, engaging and entertaining for that many. More is not always better. You can be just as impressive with 20 items as you can with more. It's not the number, it's how entertaining the presentation is.

A solid advice I agree.
But, there are performers who can pull that out, look at Loarayne remembering names of entire audiences on various TV shows - this very stunt helped him make his name and become world famous for his memory work. My point is, not all can pull out remembering 100 items or 400 audience members and make it enjoyable and entertaining - but - if you can manage to do it, it will most certainly be rewarding. In these days of generic performers, having and 'edge' and being different is IMHO a must. If you want to be successful and raise above the average or generic, that is.
~ The Croatian Mentalist ~

>PM me if you need help with anything graphic design related!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Two words/names as stated before Harry Lorayne.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2529 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
If you're going to memorize 100 items, a better option might be a Magazine Memory Test. Audience members select a single magazine from a group, and rip out a single page from the magazine. For a 100 page magazine, 50 different people might have a page. They then call out page numbers and you proceed to tell them what's on that page. That demonstration is not only far more impressive to an audience but you eliminate the dead time associated with getting the initial words.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9855 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Harry did an amazing job because of his personality, his entertainment value and it's fast pace. But even for him there can be such thing as too long where it loses impact and impressiveness.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2529 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Good point. That's another benefit of the magazine test. You decide when to stop. You can have as few or as many page numbers called out that you like. Needless to say, you should stop BEFORE interest begins to wane.

A secondary benefit of a magazine test is you can tell people to find you after the performance and you will tell them what's on their page if you weren't able to get to it during the show. It helps provide a nice buzz around you after the performance and keeps the energy up.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2167 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Mindmagic wrote:
Quote:
... I personally like SKIPNUM, which is a phonetically-based peg system from the first edition of "Speed Memory" by Tony Buzan, but you may have difficulty in finding a copy.

Copies are readily available; there are several on Amazon, for example, currently starting at nineteen cents for the hardcover edition.

Or you can read an online version.

Heinz Norden's clever SKIPNUM system is described starting on page 53.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of mindguru
As a fan of mnemonics, I highly recommend Dominic O'Brien books.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1459 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Thanks for all tje replys. I think I will go with Lorne now and the other gentleman next
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
479 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2016, Steven Keyl wrote:
If you're going to memorize 100 items, a better option might be a Magazine Memory Test. Audience members select a single magazine from a group, and rip out a single page from the magazine. For a 100 page magazine, 50 different people might have a page. They then call out page numbers and you proceed to tell them what's on that page. That demonstration is not only far more impressive to an audience but you eliminate the dead time associated with getting the initial words.

I've been performing this very type of act in some of my corporate shows for the last couple of years, and it kills. I have created my own mneumonic for it that works for me. It takes a good bit of work to prepare it each time, but it is worth the effort and over time it becomes easier. I always use the most current, recent issues of a WEEKLY magazine. I have a method for controlling the outcome that guarantees the presentation will end on a high note every time, regardless of how the rest of it plays out. If anyone is interested in this please just PM me as I won't discuss it openly here.

I love it as it is one of those rare things where the mentalist is actually doing what they claim to be doing in a very straightforward manner, and even though the audience knows there is a real "trick" to remembering things, it is still extremely impressive and entertaining to them when performed with a dash of showmanship.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1428 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2016, ddyment wrote:
Mindmagic wrote:
Quote:
... I personally like SKIPNUM, which is a phonetically-based peg system from the first edition of "Speed Memory" by Tony Buzan, but you may have difficulty in finding a copy.

Copies are readily available; there are several on Amazon, for example, currently starting at nineteen cents for the hardcover edition.

Or you can read an online version.

Heinz Norden's clever SKIPNUM system is described starting on page 53.

Thanks, Doug. I have the 1971 edition; I wasn't sure if SKIPNUM made it into later editions. I've just looked at the online version; I think you would have some difficulty in learning SKIPNUM from that.

I agree with others that learning 100 items is unnecessary and undesirable for performance purposes; I'd say twenty is enough. Just to give an idea of the power of these systems, though, I once used SKIPNUM to learn 300 tax cases for an exam.

Barry
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Harry has a magic square in conjunction with memorized objects which builds to an amazing finish that is tough to beat.

I do not do the do description justice but it is 16 objects and you put the square together as you write the objects down. Then you do the objects in order, out of order people call a number and you name the object or call an object and tell them which number it is then reveal the square and end with running the list backwards.

It is a great build. Pete Revene ooened his hypnosis show this way.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memory system (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL