The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Diception - Chris Congreave (a magic Portal Review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Diception – Chris Congreave
http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=55588
The Hype:
Showing that your deck is mixed and ordinary, you also show a card with a prediction written on the back. The spectator chooses a card completely at random, by rolling 1,2 or 3 dice. You deal to their number (no forces).

When you reveal the prediction you have not only predicted their chosen card, but also what number they rolled on the dice.

You are supplied with everything needed, plus an Online video instructions with full explanations.
No forcing
Self Working
Instant Reset

My take:

I have to be honest and say that the demo video on this effect did not knock me out but I decided to check it out anyway. And I am glad I did. Turns out that Chris' trick is inspired by Cameron Francis’ Annihilation Deck, one of my favorite gaffed card tricks of all time. The method is different but you can definitely see the influence in the way the deck is marked and set up. And once the set up is done, the trick is totally self working with an instant reset, exactly as advertised.

In the package you receive a sealed blue deck, 18 red backed cards, 3 dice and a link to download the video. Chris goes through every step of the set up and marking. He realizes that part of this procedure can become tedious so he suggests you fast forward through the video to the next sections. Before you do this, make sure you understand what the procedure is and just continue. I did have a problem setting up my red cards. Three of them would not work out according to the system and I had to replace them with cards from another deck. This was no major problem as I (like most of you, I'm sure) have tons of extra cards lying around. The initial setup takes quite a while but it only has to be done once (unless you drop the deck).

In the performance video, Chris shows that the prediction card is in his pocket before showing the prediction and match. This version will take some fairly easy sleight of hand. The first version taught requires no sleights. The dice are rolled, the cards are dealt down and the card at the number rolled is left face down. Chris then says he wrote a prediction on the back of one of the cards, pulls it out and turns it face down revealing the prediction. The problem I have with this is you are dealing from a blue deck and when he turns the prediction over, the card is red. I feel this could be taken care of in one of two ways. First, you could tell your spectator that not only have you written a prediction on the back of one of the cards but you actually did it on a card from a different deck. If you wish to keep it completely clean, you could make your deck up using only a red deck. This would add consistency to the routine. I just found the shift of back colors with no explanation a little jarring to the senses.

Conclusion: As I said, I love the Annihilation Deck and this is a very good addition to the genre. The set up does take a while but it is easy to follow and once done you are set. Magic Tao could perhaps use a little more quality control in the red cards they include I would recommend this purchase and will be carrying it in my case.
453rob
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of 453rob
I just got this trick as well during on of the big Christmas sales. I think I only paid $12.00 or something like that.
I really enjoyed this effect. Very easy to do. Self working using the first explanation. The more advanced methods require a cull and/or palm. In my opinion this is not necessary.
When I do it I show that there is one red card with a prediction in the deck. Just pull it out and briefly flash it. This removes the concern that Canaday had.
I have several effects by Chris Congreave and I find him a very pleasant and good teacher. I recommend this if you can get it on sale. $35.00 is a bit much IMO
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Diception - Chris Congreave (a magic Portal Review) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL