The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Should I compete (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asif
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of asif
I don't know whether this is the right place to post. But anyway here's my post.

Hello guys, I have been practicing magic for quite a few months now. So one of the reputed college in our country is having a magic competition as a part of its college fest. So what do you guys think. Should I go for a competition only when I'm having years of practice or should I take it as a learning opportunity and go right now. Please guide me in the right way.
PS: I do close up magic ( coin and TT especially, so I'm planning an act with these in focus)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've only "been practicing (and performing) magic for quite a few YEARS now." (Seventy plus , to be perfectly honest.)

I'm a retired (and a bit tired) old professional magician. If you go, planning to compete, the odds are that you will be hopelessly out classed.

I would suggest that you consider it, a learning opportunity; go to observe and learn.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Colin johnson
View Profile
New user
Mishawaka, IN
64 Posts

Profile of Colin johnson
The passion and ambition is a good thing. I'd say go and watch what people do learn the competition and prep for mayb next year.
Viking Erik
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Viking Erik
Reconnaissance first. Go watch & learn. See what you're up against & then evaluate going back next year.
What are the rules: How many minutes to perform? Stage? Close-up? Anything? How many effects do most perform or is it only allowed to do 1?
Who's the audience? If it's done annually it'll be back in just a year....
asif
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of asif
It's the first time they are organizing it. Actually each year the college is having variety of events to gain audience attraction. So I don't think that it will be there the next time.
Colin johnson
View Profile
New user
Mishawaka, IN
64 Posts

Profile of Colin johnson
You can, but with a few months do you really want to show your work yet? Think of it as showing yourself off. At a competitive setting as well, where others will have prepped for it. Why not practice more and put your best foot forward?
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Go for it. Only those who dare to go too far can ever know how far they can go. And even if the worst happens -- even if you crash and burn and fail completely -- such an experience will be a huge growth generator. You will learn much more and grow much faster by jumping into the deep end of the pool than by sitting on your couch practicing. And you will have one competition under your belt, and next time it will feel easier. I disagree with those telling you to sit it out. What is there to lose? Nothing!. Those folks would have you miss out on big opportunities for experience and growth.

Ignore the naysayers. Go have fun, compete your heart out, and let the chips fall where they may.

If there are two words a new magician needs to live by, it is these: Take risks. The most successful people in the world take risks constantly, and fail constantly, and continue to take risks. Failure breeds success. There is no reward without risk. People who play it safe never reach their potential. You have nothing to lose. So, GO FOR IT! Smile
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
I actually agree with everyone so far! What are the reactions from friends, family or strangers when you perform your close up? Will your close up material translate to a stage? Will the audiences clearly see the coin work? I have done coin tricks for large audiences and they go down really well. Dick Oslund has the most amazing misers dream routine I've seen not in terms of fancy sleights but in terms of entertainment value! His misdirection is incredible too. So think about what kind of coin magic you wil perform...for example a large audience might not appreciate a silver coin turning into a copper one if its hard to see. Without experience you can't really grow. Believe me I've had stage performances where I felt I absolutely stunk. I've also had public speaking opportunities that I stunk at. But they are the experiences that have taught me the most and motivated me to improve. You may shine or you may not but if you don't do you have the personality to laugh about the experience, shake any negativity off, objectively see where you weren't really great, be open to constructive criticism and go out and try again? If it's something you really want to do, then I say go for it too. But if I can offer one bit of advice...certainly only do your best material that you are confident at but get up there with the motivation that you are not there to fool your audience..you are getting up there to entertain them, make them laugh perhaps and show them that you like them. If you can entertain and mystify your friends or a small group go for it. If you are really shaky in front of friends and not polished and confident with what you performed then maybe just observe. See who is performing in your college and seek those fellow students out. Could be some great potential friendships there😊
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
What's the worst that could happen?
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
btwigg
View Profile
Loyal user
Sacramento, CA USA
204 Posts

Profile of btwigg
Do it!
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Do a few shows first before you go to polish your act and get rid of any rough spots.
JasperLee
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of JasperLee
Go for it! danaruns couldn't have said it better.

"Only those who dare to go too far can ever know how far they can go."

It might be a pleasant surprise to find that you actually are better than some veterans out there.

Regardless of what happens, it will be a memorable experience.

You either win, or you learn.

Above everything else, this is the fastest way for you to be better, and to get better.

Watch Real Secrets Of David Stone or SOMA's how to win at FISM and you might get some inspiration!
Adir
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Adir
Did the contest occur yet? What did you decide in the end?
asif
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of asif
Thank you guys for your inspirational and motivational words. I really made up my mind to go for it, but unfortunately due to some academic clashes I was unable to attend it.
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Did you ever get the chance of competing in a magic contest since then?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Resurrecting this post...
I've enjoyed entering magic contests--whether a local magic club contest or an international contest. At the 1982 IBM contest in New Orleans, I entered both the close-up and the stage contest. Among the other magicians in the contest were Levent, Johnny "Ace" Palmer and Howard Hale. There's a certain cameraderie about being in a local, regional, national or international magic contest. It's an opportunity to see some of the future stars of magic and perhaps to establish yourself as one of those future stars.

Entering a magic contest also motivates you to work hard to fine tune every aspect of your act, from the music selection (if you do a stage act) to timing (because most contests have a strict time limit).

Interestingly, at the New Orleans Gold Medal contest that I mentioned above, the contestants were asked whether their act could be videotaped by a member of the New Orleans IBM Ring. Some declined, but I signed a release form. After I received my copy of the contest video, it was illuminating to see how many acts went beyond the time limit and were thus automatically disqualified.

The best I did in a contest was third place in the 1977 IBM Close-Up Contest. I even got a nice comment on my performance from Bill Larsen in _GENII_ that swelled my head for a few months. And as my friend Dick Oslund said above, being in contest can be a great learning opportunity.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Yep old thread but good one....

I would definitely say go for it. As danaruns stated, you have nothing to lose. Practice and get your routine down and let er rip. Too many folks get paralysis by analysis.

Don’t look for reasons not to do it. Just do it! Don’t overthink it. It can be a great learning experience.

I often time fell in the trap of…I haven’t practiced enough… I need to role pay more… I don’t want to experiment on my spectators… They deserve better…. I'm not perfect yet.... Nahhh…

That was just my FUD talking. Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. Don't wait until all the lights are green or you'll never leave home...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Should I compete (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL