The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Expanded S***l Beginner - Help!! (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ARandomWizard
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of ARandomWizard
I'm looking to buy an expanded s***l to practise with. I'm from the UK by the way. I was wondering what price I should be looking to spend at - I don't have a ton of money. I was also considering poker chips - I've heard about these but don't know where to find them. Are products by Tango worth it for a beginner?

Thanks,

Taras.
NPortMagic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of NPortMagic
They can range in prices from 20 - 300 depending on the maker and what coin. I personally think for the interest of practice to buy on the cheaper side.....or check out the buy sell trade her I'm sure there are some for sale
NPortMagic
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2755 Posts

Profile of John Long
Consider buying a hopping half set. You will get your e-Shell and much more. Just make sure you get a HH set that does indeed use an e-shell.
A decent brand such as Johnson will cost about $50
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
ARandomWizard
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of ARandomWizard
Thanks, guys. I'll check out Johnson.
ARandomWizard
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of ARandomWizard
I'll buy off Johnson. Should I get an expanded half dollar or quarter?
NPortMagic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of NPortMagic
I woudl say half dollar at least...i purchased one then went right on to dollar sized coins
NPortMagic
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4837 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea Depends On The Sizes Of your Hands! But if you are Going To work for then More 3-4 People at a time. Get At list A Half!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
supertoad12
View Profile
New user
Choose a number between 1 and
88 Posts

Profile of supertoad12
Johnson half is my recommendation.
Steph

"The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it"...J.M. Barrie
spiltrap
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of spiltrap
Agreed, start with at least a half dollar from Johnson. After getting better with your technique and finding that you enjoy coins, think about some of the more precise shell like those of Lassen or Schoolcraft.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4902 Posts

Profile of videoman
The new Sucker Punch poker chip set might be something to consider if you're still looking.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2474 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I noticed that Tango sells a magnetic quarter shell.

Does anyone know if the magnetic shell adds too much height to the shell OR should I stick with a regular expanded shell ?

If both fit a standard quarter the same.... I might as well as get the magnetic, just in case I need it.

Thoughts ?
Long Island,

New York
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5147 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Is the shell magnetic (as in has a magnet in it)? or is it shimmed and will stick to a magnetic coin (coin with magnet in it) at time ad copy can be confusing. A shim will add a tad of height but a magnet would add way more I think.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6821 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I have one each, quarter, half, Ike Dollar, and English Penny shells from Johnson. Flawless. Absolutely perfect for my needs! Tango has some good stuff. Haven't bought anything from him yet. Quarters are a bit small. Half dollars and dollars work best for my hands. Oh! And if you get an expanded Ike Dollar shell, get a copy of Covert Coins by Charlie Justice! Three Coins Across routine. On that DVD Charlie shows you The Stealth Dump. I cannot recommend it higher!

Also check out Bobo (Hard cover) for some really good routines and tips.

Doug
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2474 Posts

I wanted a quarter so I can borrow the coins. In addition, I can more easily cover all 4 coins when I use quarters vs. halves.

My main concern was the added height for the shim or magnet. I was concerned that an audience member who is very close may see the gap between the shell and the mat while the shell is sitting on top of a quarter.
Long Island,

New York
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
604 Posts

Profile of karnak
One possible problem to keep in mind when borrowing quarters and ringing in a coin shell these days is that now quarters come in two “styles” — the older, regular quarters, and the newer state quarters. Even the heads side looks a bit different, so it can be a bit of a gamble; what if your shell isn’t a good match for the borrowed quarters?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
Another issue with borrowed coins: That bright shiny pristine shell cavorting about among the worn, dulled, circulated coins.

"Here, let me polish those up for you, and then I'll show you some magic..."
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2474 Posts

Good points
Long Island,

New York
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
604 Posts

Profile of karnak
And maybe it’s just me, but if a magician asked to borrow some quarters (or any coins), I seldom would be able to comply. I just rarely have any cash at all on me, these days. It’s credit/ATM cards now for 99% of my own transactions.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Nev Blenk
View Profile
New user
Northumberland UK
69 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
If your from the UK like me then Mark Mason has some really nice coin gaffs and the price + postage is very reasonable.

https://www.jbtv.co.uk/

Hope this helps
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2710 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Really depends on what coins you want to work with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Expanded S***l Beginner - Help!! (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL