The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Close up - 8 minutes? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

clementho9
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of clementho9
Hi,

I have an 8-10 minutes show coming up next year, it's for a fundraising event, and I've been told to do something.
I already have a general plan in mind, but I just wanted to see what ideas you guys have (assume I don't have an idea first).

It's an 8-10 minutes performance on a stage with a camera that projects what I do onto a screen, and therefore I can do close-up. It is also not a silent show.

What ideas do you have? Thanks.

(Sorry if this is the wrong section to post on!)
Colin johnson
View Profile
New user
Mishawaka, IN
65 Posts

Profile of Colin johnson
What kind of stuff do you like to do? Coin matrix, twisting ace's, I don't know a lot but so many things can be done. A little more info on what you like to do or heck even make a set up and post it to get feedback on layout.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
You might post this in the "Lights...Camera...Action" forum to solicit tips on doing closeup with a camera and screen. On the one hand, it's a setup that gives you great angle control. On the other hand, it takes a lot of misdirection techniques off the table, since the camera will be burning your hands throughout your performance.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Cameras lighting and angle all become something to worry about. I would strip it back and keep it simple. Yo udo need to pick effects that suite you and you can do well.

I would use,
A rope routine- I do single rope routine which has it foundations in fiber optics. This is quick visual and multi phase. In between phase I can fire out lines and connect with the crowd. This let the crowd to get to know me and they see some full on stuff.
Egg Bag- Get up a volunteer and have heaps of fun with them and make them the star of the show.

This is just what I would do. Give us a bit more direction and we will be able to help more
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Do what you're already good at, what is foolproof and angle proof.
JasperLee
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of JasperLee
I could get flamed for saying this, but I think the best way to put together a show happens to be referencing from LIVE performances on youtube. There are many stand up acts on the net which are actually quite commercial.

Other than that, Terrible Wizard gave the best advice to do what you're already good at. (At least for the first trick!)

Do check out Mel Mellers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Close up - 8 minutes? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL