We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Karuna by Ross Tayler (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
kevg
View Profile
Regular user
UK
123 Posts

Profile of kevg
I just heard about this new release from Ross, which sounds very intriguing. I'm a big fan of Ross's previously released work as they've been intelligently written and always find his thoughts insightful and thought provoking.

For £10 I'm sure I'm going to get something from this as well as an enjoyable read. Also I read that Ross is donating 50% of the profits to a charity supporting homeless people in Exeter, UK so hats off to him for that.

Here's the Ad copy:

In Karuna, Ross will explore a new way of relating to our audiences and participants which allows us to utilise the boldest of methods to achieve the most incredible of effects! You’re going to come away from Karuna able to give readings, reveal highly personal information with no process, get your spectator in touch with their own psychic gifts and even divine details about your participants loved ones without ever meeting them. Including contributions from Fraser Parker, Ben Cardall and Aaron Alexander.
----------
Cube Cards // Cube Cards Remixed // Magigotchi // Cube Cards 1221 // Recubed // Pixelated
----------
www.magicwedding.co.uk
www.mindgamemagic.co.uk
kevg
View Profile
Regular user
UK
123 Posts

Profile of kevg
I forgot to mention... Available here:

http://www.rosstaylermysteries.com/karuna
----------
Cube Cards // Cube Cards Remixed // Magigotchi // Cube Cards 1221 // Recubed // Pixelated
----------
www.magicwedding.co.uk
www.mindgamemagic.co.uk
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
484 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
How is it?
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1471 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Ross is doing a genuinely good thing by donating 50% of the profits to charity. It seems it is something he really cares about.

The project itself is not for the faint of heart. It does indeed explore some methods which are quite bold and require some guts to perform.

Honestly, if you're getting this and wanting to use the material as a mind reader to show off your skills, this isn't the book for you.

This book is about creating an atmosphere of genuine psychic reading. If you give readings, I really think you will find something of interest here which makes it feel as if you really know so much about the sitter.

If you've ever wanted to give readings a go, read some classic cold reading material and then read this to learn how to incorporate it.

Any questions, I'll be glad to try to answer.
If you enjoy my thoughts on the cafe, please consider donating a coffee at the link.
https://ko-fi.com/madisonhagler
magicowner
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
115 Posts

Profile of magicowner
"Reveal highly personal information with no process" is what the ad copy literally states. I argue this is false advertising.

Do you and Ross and others read things like RedDevil's Operation Gemini? It would be good for you to do so so you can compare your offering versus that of other notable contributions to our field.

Quote:
On Oct 17, 2016, kevg wrote:
I just heard about this new release from Ross, which sounds very intriguing. I'm a big fan of Ross's previously released work as they've been intelligently written and always find his thoughts insightful and thought provoking.

For £10 I'm sure I'm going to get something from this as well as an enjoyable read. Also I read that Ross is donating 50% of the profits to a charity supporting homeless people in Exeter, UK so hats off to him for that.

Here's the Ad copy:

In Karuna, Ross will explore a new way of relating to our audiences and participants which allows us to utilise the boldest of methods to achieve the most incredible of effects! You’re going to come away from Karuna able to give readings, reveal highly personal information with no process, get your spectator in touch with their own psychic gifts and even divine details about your participants loved ones without ever meeting them. Including contributions from Fraser Parker, Ben Cardall and Aaron Alexander.
magicowner
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
115 Posts

Profile of magicowner
Did you pay for your copy, Maddy? And, "Reveal highly personal information with no process" is what the ad copy literally states. Do you agree that this is false advertising?

Quote:
On Oct 18, 2016, MadisonH wrote:
Ross is doing a genuinely good thing by donating 50% of the profits to charity. It seems it is something he really cares about.

The project itself is not for the faint of heart. It does indeed explore some methods which are quite bold and require some guts to perform.

Honestly, if you're getting this and wanting to use the material as a mind reader to show off your skills, this isn't the book for you.

This book is about creating an atmosphere of genuine psychic reading. If you give readings, I really think you will find something of interest here which makes it feel as if you really know so much about the sitter.

If you've ever wanted to give readings a go, read some classic cold reading material and then read this to learn how to incorporate it.

Any questions, I'll be glad to try to answer.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1471 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2016, magicowner wrote:
Did you pay for your copy, Maddy? And, "Reveal highly personal information with no process" is what the ad copy literally states. Do you agree that this is false advertising?

Yes I did.

And if you're quoting, you should probably quote all of what is actually written, "By the time you’ve finished reading, you’ll be able to give highly accurate character readings interwoven with revelations of highly specific personal information such as private memories and childhood hobbies, as well as deductive techniques to identify what pets a person has and even how they take their tea, amongst other things."

He does indeed teach how to do the things listed above with no process.

But don't get this. You will hate it. It takes guts and it isn't meant to just show your friends. It's meant more for mystique performers who want to create the feeling that what they are doing is real.
If you enjoy my thoughts on the cafe, please consider donating a coffee at the link.
https://ko-fi.com/madisonhagler
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Here is a direct quote from 'Karuna", which will give you a taste of the sort of approach inside.

"It is generally accepted these days that knowledge of a first letter, the approximate length of a name, and the gender of the thought of individual is sufficient to guess a name."

The same assumption lies behind 'Rose'.

So Ross, you are a member of the Café. Let's put your statement to the test. I'm thinking of a male name starting with the letter 'J'. It is approximately five or six letters long. To help with the geography, I live in London and spend half the year in the US, mainly New York and LA. It is someone I know personally. Have a guess.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
I think Ross is able to do something that most performers can't, and he might not even realize how HARD it is for others. The mindset with which he performs and elicits from his audiences is very hard to accomplish. But when you can do it, something beautiful happens: you're not being challenged, you don't feel the need to impress them with your "abilities"... You're on a journey, together, exploring something strange and magical.

Sometimes I feel I can do it, sometimes I feel I'm just "doing tricks"... And, for ME, the real value of this book lies in the way Ross shares his view on performance, his internal dialog and how he wants to be perceived by the people he performs for (and probably the detail in which he explains all this might be an indication that he does know how hard it is). Besides, I really like the way he writes and he got me laughing and smiling a lot while I read the book.

The method for the name guess is great, for sure. I'm not sure I like it better than his other name guesses, but I haven't tried it yet, so I can't really comment. The one thing I can say is that it requires the same boldness as Ouija or Rose (and I have no problem with that Smile).

A big plus for me was the little essay from Aaron Alexander, which is always effortlessly awesome Smile

I really, really loved this. It inspired me and gave me a lot of food for thought. Thank you, Ross!
Dreda
View Profile
Loyal user
France, Paris
271 Posts

Profile of Dreda
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2016, Martin Pulman wrote:
Here is a direct quote from 'Karuna", which will give you a taste of the sort of approach inside.

"It is generally accepted these days that knowledge of a first letter, the approximate length of a name, and the gender of the thought of individual is sufficient to guess a name."

So Ross, you are a member of the Café. Let's put your statement to the test. I'm thinking of a male name starting with the letter 'J'. It is approximately five or six letters long. To help with the geography, I live in London and spend half the year in the US, mainly New York and LA. It is someone I know personally. Have a guess.

I'll bet on Jacob or James. Smile
"I know that I know nothing" - Socrate
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Exactly how my ebooks can be spun out using this one bold method ?
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2016, Dreda wrote:
Quote:

I'll bet on Jacob or James. Smile

Sorry. No. Feel free to guess again. It's generally accepted you only need the first letter and the approximate length of the name. And you have now missed twice! You need help with your audience management skills, Dreda!
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Did you ever read the rest of the book or stopped at that point? I'd love to hear what you think of the book, besides that one sentence. Ironically, this might be the only book that explains a method that can give you more than the first and second letter of a thought of name Smile

Quote:
Sorry. No. Feel free to guess again. It's generally accepted you only need the first letter and the approximate length of the name. And you have now missed twice! You need help with your audience management skills, Dreda!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I did read it. For the little my opinion is worth I will give a full review after I've read it a couple of times more and absorbed it and tested some of the material. Or would you rather I gave a full glowing review the second after speed reading it as soon as it arrived in my inbox -in full Café tradition?
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
I have way too much respect for you to even try to comment on what you said Smile

I'll just add that I am very lucky, because here in Portugal, I can almost (ALMOST) always guess the name with the first letter and *exact* number of letters.

Quote:
I did read it. For the little my opinion is worth I will give a full review after I've read it a couple of times more and absorbed it and tested some of the material. Or would you rather I gave a full glowing review the second after speed reading it as soon as it arrived in my inbox -in full Café tradition?
Ross Tayler
View Profile
Regular user
Rugby, England
127 Posts

Profile of Ross Tayler
Really interesting seeing the diversity of responses here, although not unexpected as I've always been open about my methods being quite idiosyncratic.

It's a pity that you can't identify anything in the 50 odd pages of content which you saw as being useful, Martin. Frankly this surprises me, and I thoroughly doubt the experience will be the same for other readers. I also think we can both agree that quote is to some degree taken out of context, given that it proceeded an explanation for a throw-away name guess which is intended for casual use in the midst of a reading rather than as a central method. We're both aware that the main name guess taught provides one with much more information. Equally you know that precise numbers of letters and second letters are also generally known in almost all of these methods, so I feel you're being slightly disingenuous. That said, given the information you provided I'd generally guess either Joshua or Joseph for 6, James or Jacob for 5. If I was wrong I'd take the hit and move on, because my intentions go beyond just showing off my talents and my audiences feel that. If I was interested in being the big clever magic man, I'd pull out a deck of cards and get on with it. Sometimes that's good fun, but it's not the point of Karuna.

I know you come from a positive place Martin, because judging from your posts your intent is simply to sort good material from bad and provide some criticism and quality control. This is all good stuff. But remember that not every performer shares your goals, your character etc, and their material will reflect that. If mine and Fraser's stuff doesn't suit you, that's all okay - just don't purchase it! But the trash talk serves no positive purpose.

magicowner, I'm not sure what to say to you. You accuse me of false advertising having (based on your comments), not read the book. What this adds to anyone's day I'm not sure. Certainly no one is better informed about the product for your comments.

It's a shame that people's first instance is to criticise a product which I've quite literally been working on for over a year to try and make it the best value possible for those that purchased it, and the sole purpose of which is to have a positive impact. But to those who are enjoying Karuna and have had positive things to say, I give my thanks. Your ongoing support is really appreciated.

Best wishes,

Ross.
Ross Tayler
View Profile
Regular user
Rugby, England
127 Posts

Profile of Ross Tayler
P.S. Martin as a side note I'd actually like to thank you for your purchase, given that I know you're sceptical of mine and Fraser's approach, so whatever you may have to say now I appreciate your being open minded enough to experiment with my material again. Hopefully after you've tried it a few times your scepticism will be diminished.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
"Equally you know that precise numbers of letters and second letters are also generally known in almost all of these methods, so I feel you're being slightly disingenuous. That said, given the information you provided I'd generally guess either Joshua or Joseph for 6, James or Jacob for 5. If I was wrong I'd take the hit and move on, because my intentions go beyond just showing off my talents and my audiences feel that. If I was interested in being the big clever magic man, I'd pull out a deck of cards and get on with it. Sometimes that's good fun, but it's not the point of Karuna."

You think getting the name right in a name divination is "showing off"? You must have an odd view of mentalism. You're the one who stated that only the first letter and approximate numbers of letters were needed for a name reveal, and so far all of your guesses are wrong. I don't think your statement is true. Is it contentious to say so?
And I'm not quite sure what you mean by "if I was interested in being the big clever magic man, I'd pull out a deck of cards and get on with it". What, you mean like Chan Canasta?

For someone who opens his e-books by talking about being "provocative" you seem incredibly touchy when anyone questions you.

Incidentally, your accusation that I am indulging in "trash talk" is very serious. Can you please point out to me where that has been the case.
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1325 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Hey guys Smile

Martin - Good to see you are active again here, long overdue a catch up. It's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd weigh in.

I personally like Ross' material - I wouldn't perform it myself (not because it's not good) but I have a range of things that are my go to items and I'm getting old and comfortable. Ross don't feel for a second disheartened about Martin's comments, from what I read he's playing Devil's advocate and I think you'll come out of the other side of it better for it. Martin you and I share a love for Canasta and I'm sure you know he was slated by magicians for his take a chance attitude (during his career).

I ask you, would you still love him the same if he wasn't boldly beautiful? Chancy and well... Canasta?

We should embrace and enable creativity - Not dampen it.

You know as well as I do that statistical practices play a part in this type of material and I personally think as long as you are well grounded in traditional methodology this can play amazingly in a live context. If you nail this and introduce a bi''et for something else as you have already guessed a name not utilising traditional methodology when you introduce the bi''et the method is cancelled long before the compromise comes into play.

Worst case scenario, if you feel you are at a point in the routine where it might not be going how you anticipated move into a p''k.

Why I'm telling you this I don't know as you are a smart guy and already know this and much more - so I suppose this is probably more aimed at some of the other people reading this that are less experienced with this type of material.

Ross - Don't take this next comment as offensive it's a compliment.

I was young when I started to create material along these lines, I didn't have as rounded a view as I do now and I understand about the end game now much more than I did. I have tightened a lot of things and learnt when and where to utilise this type of material and when not, Ross is more creative and knowledgable at his age than I ever were.

I predict very big things from Ross.

If you want another tool to add to your tool box of things to perform on the fly - Get this, if you are looking for something that is going to be a crutch as a replacement to the classic methodology you are already utilising this is not for you.

I've witnessed mediums being hailed as messiahs for operating with a lot less than what Ross is sharing.

Anyway, I'm going grey ( 28 and I'm f!*!?! Going grey)

Have a good en guys, I'm going to get back from London and have a nap.

Pete x
magicowner
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
115 Posts

Profile of magicowner
I respect your opinion, Maddy. But, it looks like Ross agrees with me about the ad-copy. In fact, it appears he changed the language on his website to eliminate any reference to his previous claim that there is no process to reveal highly personal information.

The ad copy previously read:

Even the original poster of this thread confirmed that, and I read it too on the website. Now, it is no longer there. But, there is clearly a process to reveal highly personal information.

Plain and simple, Karuna DOES NOT allow you to reveal highly personal information with NO PROCESS...I repeat, there IS a process!

Quote:
On Oct 18, 2016, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2016, magicowner wrote:

Yes I did.

And if you're quoting, you should probably quote all of what is actually written, "By the time you’ve finished reading, you’ll be able to give highly accurate character readings interwoven with revelations of highly specific personal information such as private memories and childhood hobbies, as well as deductive techniques to identify what pets a person has and even how they take their tea, amongst other things."

He does indeed teach how to do the things listed above with no process.

But don't get this. You will hate it. It takes guts and it isn't meant to just show your friends. It's meant more for mystique performers who want to create the feeling that what they are doing is real.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Karuna by Ross Tayler (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL