The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine: Beyond Magic (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Nathan Horne
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Nathan Horne
The ACAAN was impressive. I also loved the 'paper balls over the head' bit with the phone and the ring on the hangar. Goes to show that spectators react better when you mess with their personal belongings : D

Great special, but sometimes I love the regular card magic or mentalism more than interviews at a dentist,
SilverMagician
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of SilverMagician
That is something I appreciated was how he took standard magic plots and gave them a twist. Like Paper Balls is cool but then the phone is another step . I think it's why magicians enjoyed it a lot. Or how the sword swallowing was just supposed to be prep for human aquarium...
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
I don’t care for it but it is probably good for the art. All the camera trickery, editing, phony ooohs and ahhs while he is surrounded. No thanks. Same with the Criss Angel specials. Give me an unedited Lance Burton stage show on TV any day sans the vanishing elephants. Smile
SilverMagician
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of SilverMagician
This street magic is what people enjoy... I just wish people would know and appreciate how broad and diverse the art of magic is
FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Was anyone else left a bit underwhelmed? I Love David and all that, but he did a bullet catch in his last special. The tricks seemed great for the spectator only. There were only a few things ( I can count on one hand) that were neat -- throwing the cell phone, coat hanger hooking the ring in his stomach, and maybe one or two more. Was expecting a bit more. Miss seeing him doing basic, simple yet amazing card tricks. IMHO. Hopefully his next one will be more satisfying.
natmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
301 Posts

Profile of natmagic
I think David Blaine has unique style to his magic performance I enjoy watching him freak people out. This tv show suffers a lot from an edit structure that makes the home audience feel like it's just time filling between the magic.
The ring on wire hanger is a very Blaine thing and kinda cool as a gory magic trick, but do we really think celebrities would have those cheap ass twist joined hangers in their houses?
I agree with Asi Wind (if he wasn't acting) the bullet catch is not a deal breaker in putting on a great show.

Verdict: overall not bad, not great that's for sure. just didn't have the energy and the magic of his last special.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Maybe I am just contrary.

When David Blaine had his first specials, I loved them. He managed to get the impact of close up magic communicated effectively on television, something that had not been done very well before. Those specials were iconic block-busters. They were great, and I praised them, much to the consternation of other magicians.

Blaine's more recent specials leave me cold. I really do not find David hob-nobbing with the famous, with actors, etc., in their homes and hotel rooms particularly appealing. Although I have eagerly anticipated each of David's last two specials, I have only watched them for a few minutes before switching them off. They were not my cup of tea.
luckyram
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of luckyram
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2016, SilverMagician wrote:
Usually I hate stunts as magic, but that bullet catch was very intriguing. Many mixed feelings about it.

Agreed....

Anyone else hear Penn's brutal (and in my opinion, correct) takedown of Blaine's promoting possible actual harm/death to himself while performing the bullet catch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUDCn0snnPU

Penn pulls no punches and goes off on Blaine for going outside the realm of illusion into portraying the effect as an actual doable stunt.....makes me wonder if any impressionable kid or daring idiot looking to make a name for himself will attempt to duplicate the effect for real and winds ups dead....if so, I'm sure there will be wrongful death/injury lawsuits against Blaine/production co/network if so.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Have to say I agree with Penn.

I have a lot of respect for Blaine and what he has done for magic. However, if Blaine is really catching a bullet, it is stupid and irresponsible. It is not art. The same if he is faking it, but claiming it is real.
ddamen
View Profile
Regular user
Bay Area
140 Posts

Profile of ddamen
I miss the old days when magicians were filmed doing routines in their entirety, without such a heavy reliance on editing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRBtyJxTukY

I think all this criss-angel-esque editing creates unrealistic expectations for when we perform in real life for real spectators. Though, never would have thought one could regurgitate multiple live frogs on command. It was hilarious how they prefaced his performance with a physician - who has studied countless cadavers and patients - saying "it's impossible." Can't imagine the agony he and the frogs went through to make that finished product.
luckyram
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of luckyram
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2016, Micheal Leath wrote:
Have to say I agree with Penn.

I have a lot of respect for Blaine and what he has done for magic. However, if Blaine is really catching a bullet, it is stupid and irresponsible. It is not art. The same if he is faking it, but claiming it is real.

In no way can I ever imagine he is really catching it...that would be the dumbest risk taken I've ever seen and, if so, should result in him being confined in a mental institution...plus, if that were the case, you'd think they'd use one of those super slo-mo ballistic cameras to actually record & show the bullet travel into his mouth. My guess is that he had a squib or some type of similar thing in the mouthpiece and triggered it to go off to match when he pulled the cord to set the rifle off....of course the real bullet went the way we are all familiar with and was safely positioned.

But...in any case, while they said it was extemely dangerous, not to be tried by anyone, yada, yada what they DIDN'T do was say (as Penn intimated they should have) that it was being performed was a well designed magic trick/illusion (stressing that it was a TRICK) and that there was minimal risk to Blaine....of course they wouldn't do that because it would work against his "mystical weirdo supernatural being" act and minimize all that crap....but in this case it should have been done due to the chance of someone actually killing themselves thinking it was legit.
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Interesting to see the lackluster response overall here to Blaine's latest special. I thought I was just jaded because I found it boring but then I've never been a fan of his understated style. Loved the opening ring and coat hanger routine and the regurgitated frogs effect was amazing but that was it. The bullet catch seemed tedious, redundant and endless and not particularly exciting and the mentalism zzzzzz.

As far as people imitating the bullet catch, if someone's dumb enough to try it in real life then they deserve what they get. That's why they put disclaimers all over the broadcast. If Blaine wants to actually catch a bullet then that's his choice. All the crying about stupidity and irresponsibility is just sour grapes. Don't like it, don't watch. It's not his responsibility to be a role model, he's an entertainer. A very successful one. It's disengenous for Penn to complain. P&T do many tricks that appear dangerous and they don't say they're just tricks. They also sell them as the real thing.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2016, Slackerking wrote:
P&T do many tricks that appear dangerous and they don't say they're just tricks. They also sell them as the real thing.

Since when?
That1MagicGuy
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of That1MagicGuy
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2016, Slackerking wrote:
Interesting to see the lackluster response overall here to Blaine's latest special. I thought I was just jaded because I found it boring but then I've never been a fan of his understated style. Loved the opening ring and coat hanger routine and the regurgitated frogs effect was amazing but that was it. The bullet catch seemed tedious, redundant and endless and not particularly exciting and the mentalism zzzzzz.

As far as people imitating the bullet catch, if someone's dumb enough to try it in real life then they deserve what they get. That's why they put disclaimers all over the broadcast. If Blaine wants to actually catch a bullet then that's his choice. All the crying about stupidity and irresponsibility is just sour grapes. Don't like it, don't watch. It's not his responsibility to be a role model, he's an entertainer. A very successful one. It's disengenous for Penn to complain. P&T do many tricks that appear dangerous and they don't say they're just tricks. They also sell them as the real thing.

Its also crazy how multiple non magic friends of mine told me the trick that they really remember from their show was the nail gun routine.
Crazy how stunt stands out more then magic.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Re Penn's criticism of Blaine:
Penn and Teller do a bullet catch, but do not sell it as the real thing. OR, is there an implication that it is real? I don't remember Penn saying that it is a 'magic trick'; even though he has self-exposed different effects on occasion. The worrisome thing is that anyone with a pistol can try it at home. On the other hand, I do like Penn and Teller's effect, where Teller is put inside of a cement mixer full of bricks (only one of which is signed). I KNOW that's a genuine, strongly implied magic trick! Fun to watch, and very hard to try at home! Lynn
FunMagic!
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of FunMagic!
I loved the special.

The Ring on the Hanger Effect was my Facorite
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
In the news today. Apparently the stunt just went wrong. http://www.vibe.com/2017/01/david-blaine-shoots-himself/
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I loved Blaine's show, EXCEPT for the bullet catch (now that we know it wasn't in fact a magic trick. It looked that he may also have hurt his neck muscles!). I know there's often a fine line between some daredevil entertainment and magic effects involving such things as death defying escapes; but Blaine's bullet catch is not a "how'd he do that?" effect. (in fact, he told you how to do it!) All the other geeky stuff I like (Penn lovingly calls it "carnival trash"). Unfortunately, the audience loves the bullet catch... perhaps for the same reason that many people attend car races (George Carlin said he went to see the cars crash and burn!). I really do love David Blaine's magic; and for that reason, as a loving fan, I hope he does not try this again. Lynn
natmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
301 Posts

Profile of natmagic
I thought it was his worst special to date
Are we really supposed to believe that multi millionaire celebrities like David Beckham use cheap wire coat hangers in a closet?
Too much edit work, which is getting very boring.
The phone in the water trick was a duplicate of a trick from yet another edit magician Troy from england. It was a bad trick when he did it on TV so why even bother to copy this garbage? The show name is exactly the same as the yawn worthy DMC dude
Bullet catch again! totally inrrisponsible and lazy.
magicmarcuk
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of magicmarcuk
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2017, natmagic wrote:
I thought it was his worst special to date
Are we really supposed to believe that multi millionaire celebrities like David Beckham use cheap wire coat hangers in a closet?
Too much edit work, which is getting very boring.
The phone in the water trick was a duplicate of a trick from yet another edit magician Troy from england. It was a bad trick when he did it on TV so why even bother to copy this garbage? The show name is exactly the same as the yawn worthy DMC dude
Bullet catch again! totally inrrisponsible and lazy.

It absolutely was Beckham's hanger. Celebrities also get their clothes dry cleaned and do also own wire hangers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine: Beyond Magic (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL