We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Turner - HACK (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
BILL DAVIS MAGIC
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of BILL DAVIS MAGIC
I could not possibly pay more attention. I rewound the video about 10 times to see if I was missing something. The introduction shows him figuring out a PIN code, but then IMMEDIATELY when the video kicks in he starts talking about the calculator as though it has to do with anything. So confused. There's absolutely no explanation why the person would be trying to get into their phone by entering a pin code into their calculator or anything. I have got to have a partial video or something.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I would say you are missing a lot. I've been using both the methods you mention for at least 3 years with tons of success. Likewise I have seen Pete use them in the real world more times than I can even count. I would watch the video again and pay attention.

Mark


You lost me at real world. I don't think even Peter claims he's performing. You see it in lectures with fans but that's about it.

Peter brings the concept of connecting emotionally with specs which may , or may not, have its merits. But his performance style for me is convoluted, pretty boring, patronising from somebody of his age and ultimately his "bold" methodology seems to be just changing the rules on the spec when things aren't going your way.

I'd doubt anything I've seen from him would get a pro a paying gig, it's more for jazzing with your pals.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
There's no way we saw the same video Smile

I've used all methods in the video at some point (nowadays I only use one of the methods, since it's the one I like the most) and it always went great.

If you're not trolling, shot me a PM and I can try to explain the way I use it (which is exactly how Pete teaches it Smile)

Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, abracabadass wrote:
I could not possibly pay more attention. I rewound the video about 10 times to see if I was missing something. The introduction shows him figuring out a PIN code, but then IMMEDIATELY when the video kicks in he starts talking about the calculator as though it has to do with anything. So confused. There's absolutely no explanation why the person would be trying to get into their phone by entering a pin code into their calculator or anything. I have got to have a partial video or something.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3350 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Pete performs a lot in the real world and I have been present on many of those occasions. Pete doesn't do many paid gigs these days but he does perform pretty much everywhere he goes. I have seen him hold an entire pub captivated, seen him have people queuing up for readings in a night club smoking area. I've even seen him perform his PK touches routine in a taxi queue followed by an insanely accurate reading (which resulted in him getting booked to perform at a festival).

Likewise I have been with Pete on a few occasions when he has been with a booker for an actual gig, one of those he wanted me to open for him but the date didn't work for me. So your opinion is erroneous, everything Pete lectures he performs for laymen and a fair bit that he doesn't lecture too and yes it gets him more offers of paying gigs than he actually accepts.

Likewise whilst a small portion of his repotoire uses bold methods the vast majority is pretty sure fire mechanical methods e.g. His phone unlocks, his billetless name and pin guesses, his PK touches, issobella's star. His star sign reveals. There is a big difference between Pete jazzing for magicians at a convention and Pete working to laymen, however the stuff you see him lecture I have seen him perform for layman countless times in the 4 or so years that I have known him and I have yet to see anyone work a crowd of laymen as expertly as Pete does. Despite my age and experience I will not perform even casually when I'm with Pete because few can compare.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Pete performs a lot in the real world and I have been present on many of those occasions. Pete doesn't do many paid gigs these days but he does perform pretty much everywhere he goes. I have seen him hold an entire pub captivated, seen him have people queuing up for readings in a night club smoking area. I've even seen him perform his PK touches routine in a taxi queue followed by an insanely accurate reading (which resulted in him getting booked to perform at a festival).

Likewise I have been with Pete on a few occasions when he has been with a booker for an actual gig, one of those he wanted me to open for him but the date didn't work for me. So your opinion is erroneous, everything Pete lectures he performs for laymen and a fair bit that he doesn't lecture too and yes it gets him more offers of paying gigs than he actually accepts.

Likewise whilst a small portion of his repotoire uses bold methods the vast majority is pretty sure fire mechanical methods e.g. His phone unlocks, his billetless name and pin guesses, his PK touches, issobella's star. His star sign reveals. There is a big difference between Pete jazzing for magicians at a convention and Pete working to laymen, however the stuff you see him lecture I have seen him perform for layman countless times in the 4 or so years that I have known him and I have yet to see anyone work a crowd of laymen as expertly as Pete does. Despite my age and experience I will not perform even casually when I'm with Pete because few can compare.

Mark


Well it's nice to know it's real world so I can sense how it really goes down. Can you let me know one of Peter's more recent gigs as I should be able to find more about it on Google.

Thanks Mark
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
410 Posts

Profile of Axel
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, Ray Chelt wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Pete performs a lot in the real world and I have been present on many of those occasions. Pete doesn't do many paid gigs these days but he does perform pretty much everywhere he goes. I have seen him hold an entire pub captivated, seen him have people queuing up for readings in a night club smoking area. I've even seen him perform his PK touches routine in a taxi queue followed by an insanely accurate reading (which resulted in him getting booked to perform at a festival).

Likewise I have been with Pete on a few occasions when he has been with a booker for an actual gig, one of those he wanted me to open for him but the date didn't work for me. So your opinion is erroneous, everything Pete lectures he performs for laymen and a fair bit that he doesn't lecture too and yes it gets him more offers of paying gigs than he actually accepts.

Likewise whilst a small portion of his repotoire uses bold methods the vast majority is pretty sure fire mechanical methods e.g. His phone unlocks, his billetless name and pin guesses, his PK touches, issobella's star. His star sign reveals. There is a big difference between Pete jazzing for magicians at a convention and Pete working to laymen, however the stuff you see him lecture I have seen him perform for layman countless times in the 4 or so years that I have known him and I have yet to see anyone work a crowd of laymen as expertly as Pete does. Despite my age and experience I will not perform even casually when I'm with Pete because few can compare.

Mark


Well it's nice to know it's real world so I can sense how it really goes down. Can you let me know one of Peter's more recent gigs as I should be able to find more about it on Google.

Thanks Mark


Why should you find anything on Google if he is not doing a lot of paid gigs?
That doesn't mean he can't be performing a lot for lay audiences.
Even if he would be doing lots of corporate gigs what makes you think you'd find anything about that on google?
I don't really see your point.
Or is it something personal?
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, Axel wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, Ray Chelt wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Pete performs a lot in the real world and I have been present on many of those occasions. Pete doesn't do many paid gigs these days but he does perform pretty much everywhere he goes. I have seen him hold an entire pub captivated, seen him have people queuing up for readings in a night club smoking area. I've even seen him perform his PK touches routine in a taxi queue followed by an insanely accurate reading (which resulted in him getting booked to perform at a festival).

Likewise I have been with Pete on a few occasions when he has been with a booker for an actual gig, one of those he wanted me to open for him but the date didn't work for me. So your opinion is erroneous, everything Pete lectures he performs for laymen and a fair bit that he doesn't lecture too and yes it gets him more offers of paying gigs than he actually accepts.

Likewise whilst a small portion of his repotoire uses bold methods the vast majority is pretty sure fire mechanical methods e.g. His phone unlocks, his billetless name and pin guesses, his PK touches, issobella's star. His star sign reveals. There is a big difference between Pete jazzing for magicians at a convention and Pete working to laymen, however the stuff you see him lecture I have seen him perform for layman countless times in the 4 or so years that I have known him and I have yet to see anyone work a crowd of laymen as expertly as Pete does. Despite my age and experience I will not perform even casually when I'm with Pete because few can compare.

Mark


Well it's nice to know it's real world so I can sense how it really goes down. Can you let me know one of Peter's more recent gigs as I should be able to find more about it on Google.

Thanks Mark


Why should you find anything on Google if he is not doing a lot of paid gigs?
That doesn't mean he can't be performing a lot for lay audiences.
Even if he would be doing lots of corporate gigs what makes you think you'd find anything about that on google?
I don't really see your point.
Or is it something personal?


Oh not at all Axel..I'm just trying to get a sense of how it goes down in the real world.

Most, if not all the stuff I tend to buy comes from folk I know are performing it out there.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3350 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I very much doubt you would find anything about it on google, this was not a ticketed event advertised to the public although no doubt the venue may have done some local publicity. I have done several Masonic ladies nights in the last few months and I have 3 corporate gigs coming up straight after Blackpool and you won't find any of them on google either even if you were to search the name I perform under. Just as googling you comes up empty so by your own standards that would imply that you don't perform in the real world.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2017, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I very much doubt you would find anything about it on google, this was not a ticketed event advertised to the public although no doubt the venue may have done some local publicity. I have done several Masonic ladies nights in the last few months and I have 3 corporate gigs coming up straight after Blackpool and you won't find any of them on google either even if you were to search the name I perform under. Just as googling you comes up empty so by your own standards that would imply that you don't perform in the real world.

Mark


Oh well, that's a shame.

I can only stick with my original assumption that none of this is particularly real world.

But thanks for engaging, Mark.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3350 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
And I can tell you from real world experience that your assumption is incorrect. You are working from an assumption, I'm working from witnessing it first hand in person. I am not the only one. Most people who attended Camp Mental got to witness Pete performing to laymen in a pub in Nottingham and the impact he had on them. The material he did on that occasion included at least one of the pin unlocks on this downloads, his star sign anagram from his lectures and other downloads and Isabella's star and some reading. He also did something one to one with a woman, not sure exactly what he did but the result was her hugging him.

There were a whole bunch of us there that night.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I think Ray may have some anger in his heart because he can't pull off what I have found to be a really really really easy effect...

I perform everything from Hack daily as it is one of the most requested pieces I regularly demonstrate.

I've done it in line at banks, at paid gigs and even landed amazing work opportunities with it. I feel it's also important to say that you're knocking another one of the pioneers of this style of effect as well, Michael Murray, who's Calculated Risk uses a calculator.

Also, I was LIVE at the coming for all of Hack, Psyche and Astronomical as well as took Pete around all week. The guy performs EVERYWHERE, does all his own stuff and completely blows away everyone. I get so tired of people hating on Pete because he doesn't deserve people trying to hurt his brand because they can't pull off what he does flawlessly everyday all around the world!

I apologize for my bluntness with the obviously not proper tone, but you're knocking a dear friend, attempting to question his credentials and creating a public scene over it. If you don't like the methods inside then just say it and move on, don't attempt to slander someone's image over it like a 15 year old child ****ed because the toy he bought wasn't what he thought it was.

So... Mark, everyone else and I aren't calling you a liar or an idiot Ray... But you're wrong.

XX,
-Jacob

P.S. I've done two TEDx Talks, work for corporate, private and public events, but you won't find my name pop up on Google. Try searching for Michael Weber and many other pros too... Mainly because they either have their established markets, don't need the presence and/or because they work through agencies alone.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3798 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, abracabadass wrote:
This trick makes absolutely NO sense. Am I missing something? 1) Why on earth would you have someone pull up their CALCULATOR to enter their pin code? This makes it OBVIOUS you must have somehow seen it. 2) The alternate method of screenshotting the dial pad/pin pad is ABSURD. You can screenshot it all day long and it a) won't tell you the numbers (they show up as asterisks for all but the last digit, and b) even if they DID show up in a screenshot, which they don't, you'd have NO IDEA what order they were entered in. Unless I'm missing something this effect makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE and is not in any way, shape, or form at ALL useable. And the instructional video doesn't explain a single thing I've mentioned, it simply starts off talking about the CALCULATOR and not in what context, set up, or why you're using it at all to begin with.


1) The cal flies right by. Justification is easy, as long as you are working with more than one spectator. There is also no suspicion of the cal since it is 1) their device and 2) they inherently know how the cal works and thus would not make the connection.

2) I think you missed the purpose of that screenshot. Actually, based on your comment about the screenshot, you obviously don't have Hack or did a horrible job at watching it. LoL.

Quote:
On Feb 13, 2017, magician 336 wrote:
I think Ray may have some anger in his heart because he can't pull off what I have found to be a really really really easy effect...

I perform everything from Hack daily as it is one of the most requested pieces I regularly demonstrate.

I've done it in line at banks, at paid gigs and even landed amazing work opportunities with it. I feel it's also important to say that you're knocking another one of the pioneers of this style of effect as well, Michael Murray, who's Calculated Risk uses a calculator.

Also, I was LIVE at the coming for all of Hack, Psyche and Astronomical as well as took Pete around all week. The guy performs EVERYWHERE, does all his own stuff and completely blows away everyone. I get so tired of people hating on Pete because he doesn't deserve people trying to hurt his brand because they can't pull off what he does flawlessly everyday all around the world!

I apologize for my bluntness with the obviously not proper tone, but you're knocking a dear friend, attempting to question his credentials and creating a public scene over it. If you don't like the methods inside then just say it and move on, don't attempt to slander someone's image over it like a 15 year old child ****ed because the toy he bought wasn't what he thought it was.

So... Mark, everyone else and I aren't calling you a liar or an idiot Ray... But you're wrong.

XX,
-Jacob

P.S. I've done two TEDx Talks, work for corporate, private and public events, but you won't find my name pop up on Google. Try searching for Michael Weber and many other pros too... Mainly because they either have their established markets, don't need the presence and/or because they work through agencies alone.



Well, obviously your were present for those 3 Penguin video projects with Peter. Either that or it a doppelganger in the videos. LoL.

Lastly, I don't understand Ray's issues with Hack. The core methods in the video are mechanical and surefire. I don't understand how one can extrapolate from that and come to the conclusion that it's not practical. What you see in the trailer/demo is what you get and the methods are all mechanical and thus surefire.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Just for clarity I expressed the view generally, in response to Marks comment re Real World, that Peters stuff doesn't feel that appropriate for a paying gig being a bit too jazzy and bold and also could be a bit boring, convoluted and confusing. Wasn't so much aimed at HACK.

I then just suggested it would be good, in response to Marks challenge, to get a sense of how it goes down in the real world. Not just to the fan base we see at the likes of penguin lectures.

Could have by-passed all the ad hominem attacks Jakob and shown a real world example of this in action (See below) On the whole, there's a lot of positive stuff here and Jakob comes across as a really nice guy as always. (Well except to me, but then I'm a cantankerous old git 😀).

I'd still maintain that the name reveal is somewhat muted with all the gubbins that surrounds it but Jakob has an example of Peter in the real world and I'd have to say it generally works.

https://youtu.be/fkmRvIODkGM
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3798 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2017, Ray Chelt wrote:
Just for clarity I expressed the view generally, in response to Marks comment re Real World, that Peters stuff doesn't feel that appropriate for a paying gig being a bit too jazzy and bold and also could be a bit boring, convoluted and confusing. Wasn't so much aimed at HACK.

I then just suggested it would be good, in response to Marks challenge, to get a sense of how it goes down in the real world. Not just to the fan base we see at the likes of penguin lectures.

Could have by-passed all the ad hominem attacks Jakob and shown a real world example of this in action (See below) On the whole, there's a lot of positive stuff here and Jakob comes across as a really nice guy as always. (Well except to me, but then I'm a cantankerous old git 😀).

I'd still maintain that the name reveal is somewhat muted with all the gubbins that surrounds it but Jakob has an example of Peter in the real world and I'd have to say it generally works.

https://youtu.be/fkmRvIODkGM


The name reveal if you know it you would understand that it is very practical in real world scenarios. Now, on the marketing for Hack it may appear to be part of a grander routine (you could perform it that way if you wish) but the real value is in the method for acquiring the information for which in the Natural going ons of the phone unlock effect, you get what you need as part of the handling. This is really just a method for acquiring the information, what you do with it and how you present it is entirely up to you.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3350 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
As far as what Pete lectures which I think is largely close up / casual material and what Pete would do in a paying gig there is a huge difference. Much of Pete's stage material is as yet unpublished such as his PK touches. Some of his Q&A stuff is sublime. The market for downloads etc is largely the hobbyist and for someone that works in other areas a lot of the value is in the nuances and subtleties rather that the effects. When it comes to real world as in stage Pete is actually a pretty busy consultant and no doubt what he gets paid in that line for consulting for real world theatre shows and TV shows no doubt makes the pennies he earns on downloads insignificant. However you only have to look at how much Pete squeezed out of a simple 2 card reveal for an audience of around 300 at LADs to get an idea of how well his material can play out on a stage as well as his real world credentials. That level of confidence in front of a largish audience only comes from experience in front of such audiences.

Pete has consulted on TV shows in France and Dubai that I am aware of and in theatre shows for at least one person you have heard of and at least one show that you have probably seen. This material doesn't get given away for pennies to hobbyists but there is a reason that people pay Pete big money to consult on their real world or TV shows and it's about the results not the reputation although the reputation is built on those results. I am lucky that I have spent many a night at Pete's house and have been privy to a fair amount of Pete's unpublished material and even some of the solutions he has come up with during his consultancy.

Make no mistake Pete is the real deal. Sure I was sceptical when I first met him, I have been around for a very long time and some 25 year old kid as he was back then making waves I didn't fully buy it. Within an hours 1-1 with Pete face to face I was sold. Not only did he completely blow my mind but some of the unpublished stuff he shared with me is absolutely fantastic. As far as his material not being practical in the real world below is a list of my go to effects when I am out and about.

Getting to Know you - Pete
Getting to know you from memory - Me based on Pete's
Guessing to know you - My propless version of Pete's
Your intuition - Pete
The phone unlocks from this download - Pete
Calculated risk - Michael Murray
My own take on free will
My own take on Jay DiBiase Rock Paper Lies
V by Manos
Tequila Hustler - Mark Elsdon
Star sign Anagram - Pete
Isobella's Star - Pete

I would not use this stuff if it wasn't solid practical and sure fire, ok I tweaked your intuition to make it sure fire but the simple truth is this stuff works in the real world for real people and they love it.

When it comes to my working set well that's all my own material with the exception of an effect from Andy Nyman.

Let's also talk about Peter the man for a moment rather than Peter the myth. People see Pete holding court at conventions jazzing and having a laugh and make assumptions that he is too big for his boots etc. The reality is that Pete is one of the most generous warm guys I have ever met. He gives up an enormous amount of his time helping and advising a lot of kids and even older guys free of charge. He give a lot of his material away for free.

Having only met me once he opened his home to me and told me next time you are working in Leeds don't get a hotel come and stay at mine. It is an offer I have taken him up on many times since that first meeting. He has even let me stay there when he was away. Getting to know you from memeory was never intended to be published because it owed too much to Pete, Fraser and Art. Pete was the first to insist I publish it but I said "Pete, I haven't just taken an idea from you I've taken the whole effect lock stock and barrel. Pete responded with "What's mine is yours, you have carte Blanche permission to use anything of mine any way that you want. This included his unpublished stuff although I would never use that before he has published it himself.

Pete is quite literally half my age and with only a fraction of my years in this business and yet I have certainly learnt more from him than I have taught him. He has become one of my best friends regardless of magic and mentalism and I love the guy like a brother from another mother. So yes I will defend him when I think he is being misrepresented but here I stand on my own reputation of only ever being dead straight and honest which is a reputation I won't compromise for anything or anyone.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3798 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
In this thread we learn that Mark Chandaue is old and crusty. Kidding kidding. Smile
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
No harm meant Ray, just looking out for my friends and I'd do the same to anyone, I go out of my way to defend my friends. I'm passionate about the direction mentalism is heading and think we can all get along publicly very easily if we can reach mutual understandings first then claim things later.

By the way, it's hard watching that video sometimes because it was my first time on a grand stage and I was 30lbs lighter back then! Where did the time and the lack of weight issues go?!

Take a chance on some of this material and make it your own! I've done it and it's pretty enriched my performances!

XX,
-Jakob
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
No harm meant Ray, just looking out for my friends and I'd do the same to anyone as I go out of my way to defend my friends. I'm passionate about the direction mentalism is heading and think we can all get along publicly very easily if we can reach mutual understandings first then claim things later.

By the way, it's hard watching that video sometimes because it was my first time on a grand stage and I was 30lbs lighter back then! Where did the time and the lack of weight issues go?!

Take a chance on some of this material and make it your own! I've done it and it's pretty enriched my performances!

XX,
-Jakob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Turner - HACK (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL