The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gary Jones LIVE: Sunday Nov 6th @7:00pm Eastern. (Penguin LIVE) (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Thank you for all your kind words (blush).

Kind regards,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Just watched his opener. It's the same one he uses in his Live DVD. I hope there's newer material here too.
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Great lecture from Gary. It's easy to see he uses this stuff regularly and it's not at all difficult. Definitely in my top 10 of Penguin lectures.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Very practical routines from Gary, but I didn't expect anything less from this man.

A very worthy purchase.

Anyone could make a living from doing mix & mingle magic using the information on his download.

Mike Donoghue
Graham Johnston
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Graham Johnston
This is a fantastic lecture ! Gary's work on the Koran stack and think of a card is worth the asking price. I particularly liked the easy to make trick decks, they are simple to make up and would sell as individual tricks in their own right.

I will never use fake fruit ever again haha, you have to watch the rant Smile

Graham J
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Just bought it Smile Can't wait.

Gary is sensational.
MDon 2233
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of MDon 2233
Everyone still agree Gary is one of the greatest performers of magic in the world ? Presentation wise?
MD
Drtriage
View Profile
Veteran user
My garden fence has
349 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
What is the black envelope used for the 3 way out? - he didn't mention the reference for it (I think).

Thanks
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1991 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2016, MDon 2233 wrote:
Everyone still agree Gary is one of the greatest performers of magic in the world ? Presentation wise?
MD

For story telling? No. For 'wacky' humour? No. For realistic mentalism? No (etc. etc.)
For his style of magic and presentation, yes, very much a great worker and performer.

Not sure what you meant by this question though. Gary (to my knowledge) makes no claims, beyond that he's a worker and he certainly is that.

All the best,
C.
MDon 2233
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of MDon 2233
Didn't say Gary suggested this Puggo ??? never impied that at all !

he's an ideas man . nothing wrong with that, its great IF you want a WORKER Lol that moronic saying .

It all comes down to what percentage you give for knowing a secret or presentation

Genuine question ..
did it captivate you his coin in pocket ??
as some have suggested is the rountine of a worker.
just want your feed back
MD
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1991 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:

he's an ideas man . nothing wrong with that, its great IF you want a WORKER Lol that moronic saying .

It all comes down to what percentage you give for knowing a secret or presentation

Genuine question ..
just want your feed back
MD

There are very few performers that 'captivate' me and even then, not every routine from that performer does so. Those performers and routines that I think are great, tend to be different to those my wife likes the most.. (apples & oranges so to speak). Many rave over Gazzo or Kozmo's performance and presentation style, I find it hard not to see it as a bit rude to the audience, but then again, they clearly are excellent street performers who know their craft, so what do I know?
I have mostly seen Gary as a close up performer, rather than a stage/parlour performer.

With regard to the coins to spec's pocket, no it dd not captivate me. It is one of those routines that I suspect is like coin on shoulder/under watch (which I do quite a bit), which is far more impressive for the participant and for those experiencing it live e.g. on camera its only so so, but up close and live.. I keep meaning to try it or part of it a few times to see for myself if it works for me.

One that impressed me was the 3c coin routine - I had seen this on the iCandy DVD (I preferred the performance of this on the DVD as the camera work caught the magic more effectively). I also really liked the pocket to pocket (card) sequence - I first learnt this from Gary perhaps 6 or so years ago at Blackpool (he demoed it and I bought the 'Pocket This' DVD). I have been using it, or a version of it, ever since, every time I work for a paid audience (although only part time). I also thought that the trick deck routines were really solid stuff and I used to perform bag 4 life on a regular basis. Oh, and metal sheep is really strong..

For me the expression of being a 'worker', means someone who performs for audiences regularly and more importantly, performs for a range of different audiences e.g. different ages, demographics and environments. Having seen a lot of footage of Gary performing for non magicians over the years, he seems very good at doing exactly that. He comes across as a genuine likable bloke, who you would have a laugh with while being fooled.

The danger of having a really, really strong presentation style, is that for magicians, you get a clone (for example, have you ever watched a magician perform a Mel Mellers (or whoever) routine and then start to talk like him?

Anyhow, I guess I probably didn't answer your question that well, but perhaps a few final thoughts: I have bought many Penguin lectures, and very few would qualify as being really strong performances as they are filmed lectures and performances to a stock crowd (rather than 'proper' live shows). I also suspect that many lay people love David Blaine's 'performances', but they are rather dry to watch, or is it that he's really clever in redirecting the magic moment at the audience.

Enough wasted time - have a good weekend!
MDon 2233
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of MDon 2233
You too
MD
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:

Genuine question ..
just want your feed back
MD

It would never win FISM LOL!

I don't do many of the 'flashy' two second miracles which are all the rage now (I do love them, it's just that I have to be realistic and have full routines at my gigs). Most of the routines I perform are full routines, they have a start, a middle and an end, the exceptions are the jazz type routines like body-loading etc where who knows where it can go (this adds to the excitement cause you just never know). There are many different types of magicians, Youtube magicians, magician's magicians, hobbyist magicians and magicians who gig on a regular basis for people of all different ages, and at all different types of venues....That's the camp I'm in (the gigging magician).

I do agree though, body loading isn't a pretty looking effect for the eye, it wouldn't work on Youtube as there are no flashy tv style bangs and flashes going on, but it's a solid working piece of misdirection and jazz style magic......at the right time, right place......What I covered in the lecture were the just the basics, and to show just how easy it is to do, it's then up to the individual performer to go away and make it theirs!

Just for the record, performing at a magic lecture is nothing like performing for laypeople lol, but we all know that!

I've never claimed to be the greatest magician in the world, ever...because I'm not lol! I'm just living my dream of performing magic as my sole living and enjoying this fantastic lifestyle magic has given me, and sharing my ideas with likeminded people.

If anyone has any questions about any of the 20 or so routines on this lecture please feel free to contact me, either by phone, or by email, and I will be more than happy to go over any of the routines for you and answer any questions you may have. Thank you.

Oh, and someone mentioned above about my opener for the lecture, this is the first time I've actually taught the method, I usually do it as a throwaway magical gag at lectures but I decided I would to teach it for Penguin Live!

Thank you for all the feedback, I truly appreciate it.

Gary Jones.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7501
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
MDon 2233
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of MDon 2233
Cannot be fairer than that thank you and good luck.
MD
Drtriage
View Profile
Veteran user
My garden fence has
349 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
A great lecture and an excellent(and generous) response. Well done Gary, thank yuou for all you contribute to our art.
Graham Johnston
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Graham Johnston
My review of the lecture.

Firstly, although I have sort of met Gary at The Black Cap convention last year he would probably not know me. And I have seen Gary lecture at my club and at the Black Cap convention so I knew what to expect watching this. This isn't a dig at Gary, but he did look very knackered during the lecture, he wasn't flowing like I have seen him in the past. Thiis did not distract from the lecture, maybe the bar was closed ha ha !

Curzon Aces. A joke for magicians only, not something I will use myself.

Coin to Spectators Pockets. I really like this, it will take some management to get away with it but nothing difficult.

On your Face. One of the best tricks in the lecture. I can see many doing this trick. You need some glue to make the gimmick, or use something you may already have.

3C. A very good coin trick, not easy so it will take practice to get this down.

Interlace. This trick fooled the .... outa me, and easy to do as well.

Ring and Pins. Not my sort of trick, clever but not for me.

Fire Cups. I have been doing this since when I saw Gary do this at my local club, very good.

Coins Across and Tosheroon. Good solid card and coin magic, lots of misdirection needed and taught.

6 Cards to Pocket. Wow !

Palming Lesson. Two palms taught.

Top Con. A very good card control.

Bag 4 Life. If you read this in a book you would never believe you wouuld get away with this, clever !

Dobson's Choice. Nice and clever mind reading trick.

Rock Paper Scissors. One of the best mind reading trick I have seen, I do this everywhere !

Floss. This is so wicked, and so easy to do.

Thieves and Sheep. This is an updated version of Gary's Metal Sheep where all the coins are handled by the audience. Another trick I will do everywhere !

Coin Bend. One of those why didn't I think of this tricks. I would say this
is the easiest coin bending trick in magic !

Melt Idea. A clever way to get a picture of a signed card onto another person's phone.

Not Chosen and Best Magician in the World trick decks. Both decks are very good and simple to make.

Touched and Child's Play. Two more clever decks, both are mind reading tricks and they are very good. You will need to buy something extra to make these decks up, but it will be worth it.

Gary's Thoughts Deck. This was the highlight for me, and if you have ever been apprehensive about using a deck like this, just watch Gary's presentation in front of the live audience. I cannot recommended this trick any higher !

34/65. A mind reading head scratcher with a personalised message.

Well there you have it, there is something for everyone in this lecture. I will be using at least 4 or 5 of these.

Graham J
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of sjrw
Gary is so generous! Great lecture
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
If several " Big Magic Names" were performing for the lay public & Gary was among them I know who everyone would be watching & it would be Mr Jones.

Being a "gigging" magician myuself I just know that Gary's stuff works & as soon as I saw him on dvd (never met him yet) I knew he was the real deal .

You can spot a pretender immediatelly & see them in strange atire at magic clubs talking theory & over complicating plots & routines.

Gary knows that at an event where they are paying you a lot more for a couple of hours than what you used earn for a 39 hour week in a regular job, you have to get around

everyone in the alloted time, connect immediatelly & instanly let them know you are very good and worthy of their time.

On all levels Gary does this & I for one cannot wait to meet this guy.

The only thing I worry about is how will I feel the next day after a drink with him ha

Mike Donoghue
MDon 2233
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of MDon 2233
Yes great words Mike, can we see a clip or website of you performing, love to watch a real gigging worker as you say .
Really love to see you in action please !!!
Tarik never delivered can you
MD
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
999 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Gary is superb. He earns a living out of performing and has done so for many years. Nuff said. A creator of top quality close up magic that you can perform in real working situations, and not just for a camera. Respect.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gary Jones LIVE: Sunday Nov 6th @7:00pm Eastern. (Penguin LIVE) (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL