The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Looking for a rope effect. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I am looking for a rope effect. THE EFFECT: Magician shows rolled up rope, several feet. next he makes nots in the rope. creating a kind of chain. then he undo the knots and the rope transforms to severeal endles loops.

looking looking for this effect thanks
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Robert

This is what I think you are looking for http://www.laflinmagicstore.com/product-p/coom.htm

Best of luck

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Mark & Robert...

This is a trick that Abbott's put out about 30 years ago. It was "invented" by a magician in South America (Argentina, I think). Neil Foster put it into his own act.

I bought one (to "play with") as it was a bit different, easy to do, and the effect was visible. Neil did it with music (no patter).

It never got into my act. I just couldn't come up with a presentation for it. I can't think of the catalog name. Next time I'm out to my storage facility, I'll check a few old Abbott Catalogs, and pass along what I find. (If I can find it!)

Duane probably "borrowed" the bit from Abbott's. I don't think that Abbott lists it anymore.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
These doen't sound like what you asked about, but, for your consideration.

There a few methods available that will create 2 or 3 pairs of linked ropes (e.g.; Anytime, Anywhere Linking Ropes - no gaffs, but starts with 3 separate lengths).

The Trinity: 3 separate (ungaffed) ropes are tied to themselves (forming 3 "separate" loops), then it is transformed into a single loop of all the ropes. (in 12 Gospel Tricks with a Rope, Del Wilson)

I did find a demo(no reference) of something called "Mexican Rope", that sounds very much like what you mentioned (ending with ~5 separate rope-circles). The first phase of this seems to use a standard method to quickly tie many knots in a single rope. The second/last phase most likely uses a standard rope gimmick. You might try a search for this name.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
It's called Lucky Loops. I bought a set from Supreme Magic back in the 70's! You can currently get it here 2nd hand for $4.20 !!
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! Thanks, Neal! Sorry John Long!

Robert: Once you have the prop (rope!) you can easily duplicate it.

I now remember, selling mine, years ago.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I also owned Abbott's Lucky Loops, when Abbott's put it out over 40 years ago. Could not see the effect being good in a my show. I though it did not have a beginning that satisfied me.

And yes, Neil Foster liked it a lot for his long and large stage show.

They still sell it.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Lucky......oryId=-1
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
To all that is the effect and everybody thank you. I will go hunting.

i like the effect done with old rope as an opener for my pirate show. just on music. visual magic. easy big magic different all things Dick likes.

------------------------
did a search on mexican rope. and found this version. I like this very much. good performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYqahp0VFOA
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Dick

I do remember Duane saying that this had "roots" in a South American magician, however he could not remember his name.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2016, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
To all that is the effect and everybody thank you. I will go hunting.

i like the effect done with old rope as an opener for my pirate show. just on music. visual magic. easy big magic different all things Dick likes.

------------------------
did a search on mexican rope. and found this version. I like this very much. good performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYqahp0VFOA

Yes, that is the exact same video that I had previously downloaded (but didn't remember where I got it from), and it seems to fit the description given to "Lucky Loops" (an odd name). Yet, it seems funny that a Japanese(?) company would come up with a "Mexican" rope trick.

Dick + others, nothing to be sorry about Smile. Many of us "pitched in", and eventually some useful information resulted. I think that makes it "fun" for us all.

Knots Off;
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right John! (I was just teasing when I said that!)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right John! (I meant that I was just teasing when I said "Sorry"!)
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
The video clip version linked to above shows a slightly different version of this trick from the one that I bought from the Supreme Magic Company.

Unlike this version Supreme's version allowed for a magical narrative that was consistent through to the end of the routine. In addition the removal of the loops was magically much more open and in my opinion much more impactful. as a bonus this handling simultaneously helped to keep the method much more robustly disguised than the handling shown in this video.

With Supreme's version he rope was shown, the ends were knotted together and the that knot was then the supposed catalyst that 'created' the formation of the other knots along the ropes doubled over length. Then, rather than loosening all the knots like the video shows, each knot (starting from the last one formed) was untied. This resulted in the 'shedding' off of an endless loop and an apparent shortening of the piece of rope. Each time a knot was untied it resulted in an endless loop and the rope being shorter. Eventually there was just a shorter piece of rope left tied together and the two loose ends. This knot was then untied and in doing so the ends 'disappeared' resulting in one final endless piece of rope. So each time a not was undone an endless loop resulted and this was true even for the original knot tied.

It's a small difference but the handling and the consistency I think made for a much better effect than this one in the video.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Thanks sealegs good points.
roberto37
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of roberto37
The trick is older but the name come from a Brazilian magician named Mr Lucky that an american magician know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Looking for a rope effect. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL