The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Can You Help Me Identify This Card Effect, Please? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

willtupper
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of willtupper
This is an excerpt from a 1995 interview with Pearl Jam frontman, musician Eddie Vedder. In it, the writer describes an effect that... well, here:

At this point in the interview, Vedder turns his attention to the deck of cards he's been fingering. "These cards got a little wet," he says, "But go ahead and pick a card, any card. It may not work. But, go ahead and look at it.

"Now, put it back anywhere in the deck. This is a new one, so I don't always get it right." He cuts the cards. "And your card is gonna be the top card, Not it? How about the bottom? Not it? That bottom. I'll get it eventually. Not this one?"

"No, sorry."

"Now wait, make a fist like this. One more chance here." I do as he says, the four discarded cards tight between my fingers. Vedder gives the cards a sharp tap, releasing a couple. Now, there is only one card left. "See if this is your card."

I'm impressed. "How did you do that? Musician and magician."

Vedder grins. "Something to fall back on."

Now, I KNOW the main move in the effect (the g***e), because I've had it performed for me, once, years ago. But the person who performed it didn't know what it was called (it was the one effect that he knew), and I've not found it anywhere I've looked (books or DVD).

So, I figured I would ask here.

Any help? Thank you for your time!
Mori Fiend
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Mori Fiend
"Packet Slap" is what I know it under, however, I do not believe it has an official name.
willtupper
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of willtupper
Very cool, thank you.

Any idea of a book or DVD (or digital download, or braille instruction, or smoke signals - at this point, I'd really take anything) where it might be learned?
Googoomafint11
View Profile
New user
I actually have more than only
28 Posts

Profile of Googoomafint11
I personally have no idea of any books or DVD's that contain something on it. It sounds the same as another trick I've come across, but I can't quite remember where... If you know HOW to perform the one move you already mentioned, I would say you can perform the trick, just as long as you work on a patter that suits your style. The slapping the cards to leave one card is something I've also seen in many beginner/cheap magic kits and books. To do that all that needs to be done is made sure that the selected card is on the bottom of the packet they hold, and then slapping the cards causing the others to slide off, leaving theirs behind.

Hope this helps, if you have anymore Q's about this you can always PM me.
Nate
Error 404
Code _signature_ not found
willtupper
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of willtupper
That actually helps me a great deal, thank you.

Although I would still love to know the origin of the effect!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Can You Help Me Identify This Card Effect, Please? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL